Can someone recommend a good jointer? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

View RailDude's Photo Album My Photos
Can someone recommend a good jointer?

Am in the market for a jointer. Never owned or used one before and looking for one somewhere in the 500.00 or so range. Am just a hobbyist so am figuring a 6" model should be plenty. Currently considering the Ridgid JP0610 and the Grizzly GO452P. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
A_shop_and_a_Vette

View xphnmn's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RailDude View Post
Am in the market for a jointer. Never owned or used one before and looking for one somewhere in the 500.00 or so range. Am just a hobbyist so am figuring a 6" model should be plenty. Currently considering the Ridgid JP0610 and the Grizzly GO452P. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I bought a Grizzly jointer and wound up selling it. It cut fine but had the same depth of cut adjustment as the one you're looking at. If you look at a picture of that jointer, you'll see a lever sticking down at an angle on the right end of the jointer (under the infeed table). To adjust depth of cut, you loosen a locking knob and then "bump" that lever up or down with your hand. Just seemed a little inprecise to me so I sold the machine and bought another brand with a crank adjusting infeed table.
The Following User Says Thank You to xphnmn For This Useful Post:
RailDude (05-17-2011)
post #3 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Raildude,

I have had the G0452 (non-Polar Bear model) that I bought a couple years ago. I'm pleased with it. I agree with xphnmn in that I'd prefer a wheel to a lever on the in-feed table but I quickly got used to it. Overall a solid machine that works well.

On the other hand. I frequently see used Ridgid jointers on Craigslist, sometimes for pretty cheap. You might be able to get a deal that way.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgeboy77 For This Useful Post:
RailDude (05-17-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
lever vs wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post
Raildude,

I have had the G0452 (non-Polar Bear model) that I bought a couple years ago. I'm pleased with it. I agree with xphnmn in that I'd prefer a wheel to a lever on the in-feed table but I quickly got used to it. Overall a solid machine that works well.

On the other hand. I frequently see used Ridgid jointers on Craigslist, sometimes for pretty cheap. You might be able to get a deal that way.

Bill
This is a great point. I have both types and it's so much easier to sneak up on a fine cut with a wheel. It's too easy to over bump the lever and get a greater cut than you wanted and then try to go back to where you were....not so easy.
You end up relying heavily on the depth of cut indicator with the lever style. I much prefer the wheel. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
RailDude (05-17-2011)
post #5 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 6" open stand Delta jointer. I set the in feed table at somewhere less than 1/32". This jointer has the lever adjustment system for the in feed table. I haven't moved the in feed adjustment in years. My complaint is that I frequently need a 8" or 10" jointer and I would prefer a longer table length.

I am currently looking for a jointer / planer combination machine, about 12". I'll try to buy at AWFS in July.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrich For This Useful Post:
RailDude (05-18-2011)
post #6 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 02:06 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Ridgid. I am very happy with how it works. The crank not lever was one reason and of course warranty.
I do wish I had the money for an 8" a few more times than I like but it's a good machine all the same
The Following User Says Thank You to DST For This Useful Post:
RailDude (05-18-2011)
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I have adepts X5(?). It has the lever,but like one other post I keep mine set at 1/32 and never change it. Works great.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
RailDude (05-19-2011)
post #8 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 11:28 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
I have the Griz 6", and have put it through hell, runs great. Wish I would have went bigger. Yes, the wheel adjustments are the best. Go as big as your wallet will allow.

Harrison, at your service!
The Following User Says Thank You to H. A. S. For This Useful Post:
RailDude (05-19-2011)
post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 10:44 PM

View kb2tha's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a fan of used iron. You most always will end up with a better machine for about the same or less money than a new import. As stated in a previous post, I really like my Delta DJ15 longbed 6" jointer. They still can be found used, no longer being produced in the 6" new.

Having taught IA for 34 years, I have owned several different makes and had the opportunity to use several others in the school systems. I like old Delta/Rockwell when given a choice.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Jet 6" longbed jointer a few years ago and it has done very well. Easy to use, no problems. It also has the quick change blade feature, which I consider very important in a jointer. If it is a real p.i.t.a. to set the blades, you'll never pull them out to sharpen them. Mine came with the closed cabinet and was under $600.00
Mike Hawkins
post #11 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 12:18 PM

View Jackfre's Photo Album My Photos
I have that Delta "Deluxe" 6" too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
I have a 6" open stand Delta jointer. I set the in feed table at somewhere less than 1/32". This jointer has the lever adjustment system for the in feed table. I haven't moved the in feed adjustment in years. My complaint is that I frequently need a 8" or 10" jointer and I would prefer a longer table length.

I am currently looking for a jointer / planer combination machine, about 12". I'll try to buy at AWFS in July.
I was always unhappy with the dust collection on it. It has a dust chute but it worked poorly. I took some heavy brown paper and some duct tape and enclosed the base. DC works much better with it. Actually, when I sold the house I sold the Deluxe, so over the next several months I'll be looking for a replacement once we get settled. As a hobbyist, I got by with the 6", but agree that bigger is better on a jointer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode