Can I Swap outer Dado blades? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

View Robert R.'s Photo Album My Photos
Can I Swap outer Dado blades?

Hello,
I am wondering if it's possible to swap the outer blades on my Amanda Dado set , 24T, with the 80 tooth fine blades I have. I want to produce a fine finish edge while cutting 3/4" oak finished ply without chipping the edges on cross grain cuts. The set works beautifully except for the chipping on the ply cross cuts. I know that there will be blade thickness differences, but will I be creating more problems? Is there a safety issue in doing this?

Thank you for your help.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
i dont think it will work.....

Most( i think all) dado sets are either 6" or 8". Unless you have a 6" or 8" blade it wont work right. I would invest in a higher quality dado set, like a forrest or a CMT. You could also try a slow feed rate and take a very shallow first pass. Maybe a 1/16", then follow back with your final depth cut. Try taping the cut with some blue painters tape before cutting also.

Jraks
post #3 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What am I missing here?

Obviously the blades have to be the same diameter 6", 8" or what ever.
The best way is to test it on a sample. the chippers will still remove the area between the outside blades and the 80 T blades should give far less chip out on the crosscut. The painter's tape is still a good idea regardless. Nothing is going to blow up here. but take a 1/4" cut to see how it works. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
If you have the same diameter outer blades to swap out and if the chipper teeth don't interfere with the outer teeth. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Put it on and do a test, if it leaves a flat dado you are in. If not, I guess you have to deal with some chip out.

I have a Freud dado set and it has 24 tooth outer blades. I have no problem with chip out on cross grain plywood cuts. My dado has a negative 5º hook on the teeth.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #5 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Robert - The outer blades on most dado sets have beveled tops on the teeth that angle in from the outside to the inside. They protrude slightly above the flat top teeth of the chippers...it's intentional to reduce tearout, but they do leave tiny grooves at the very outside of the dado....aka "bat ears". Your 80T blade likely has alternating bevel top teeth, which will leave a double groove where each 80T blade is used. You're likely to also find that the diameter of the blades are not exact, which is really just going to leave a very sloppy bottom.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't do it. Have you tried using a backer board to prevent tearout? You could also try taking a very slow, very shallow dado cuts, and work your way up to the desired depth. You could also try using one 80T blade to score your dado to just below the full depth, then use the stack to complete it.

I'm using an Infinity Dadonator set, that has 24T cutters and 6T chippers...it does pretty well in ply.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
Try a piece of scrap

Shouldn't hurt
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM

View xeddog's Photo Album My Photos
The higher quality dado blades like Forrest and Freud will have been machined as a set so that all diameters are within very close tolerances. So even if you have the "same diameter" blades, the absolute true diameter will most likely still be different and the likelyhood of flat dado bottoms is IMHO, very unlikely. EVEN if you swapped outer blades with another set from the same manufacturer.

xeddog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode