Can I get away with no jointer and just a planer? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

View Michael_JL's Photo Album My Photos
Can I get away with no jointer and just a planer?

I will finally have room to set-up a small workshop in our first home we're hopefully closing on in a week. It's an old home that has many projects I'd like to try my hand at. Previously, I've used my grandpa's workshop which, while very well equipped, is 2+ hours away and I don't own a truck or trailer to haul lumber back and forth. With a limited budget, I cant afford all the necessities up front. What I do have is a very good circular saw, a very nice router, and intentions of picking up a decent planer. My question is; will a planer sled suffice to flatten 4/4 walnut planks for a counter top project I want to do? I could use the router with a split fence to joint the edge. I also need to build a work bench, and I want a laminate top made out of ripped 2x8s. Will my arsenal (assuming a decent planer) get me where I'm trying to go, or would I be better off putting these projects off for 8-10 months while saving/figure out a way to use grandpa's shop?

Thanks for any opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
yes.

I have a planer and a joiner; the joiner I rarely use.
if you get a joiner, it needs to have a long infeed and outfeed table; short table don't produce straight edges on long boards.

consider a table saw, really sharp blades, long fences and a 'sled' to create a straight edge.
post #3 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 05:58 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
It would work, and it will work better if the walnut is reasonably flat with no cupping

I very seldom flatten on a jointer if you set the plane right and don't hog off too much it will make the boards pretty flay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 05:59 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Technically, the two machines are for two different functions. The Jointer will straighten the face/edge of a board. The Planer will flatten one side making it parallel to the opposite side. You would use a jointer to flatten one side and then use the planer to make the opposite side parallel to and to a certain thickness from the jointed side.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #5 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
Technically, the two machines are for two different functions. The Jointer will straighten the face/edge of a board. The Planer will flatten one side making it parallel to the opposite side. You would use a jointer to flatten one side and then use the planer to make the opposite side parallel to and to a certain thickness from the jointed side.
Correct, in a perfect situation that is what I'd have, but I don't have the space or money for that. However, I have read about people building a planer sled and using it as facing jointer. I'm more curious of that's a viable substitute, or not so much.
post #6 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Living with only a planer certainly isn't as convenient as having a jointer too, but it's certainly doable. A planer sled will take care of your face 'jointing' needs, and a table saw straight line rip jig will handle edge 'jointing', it just takes a little more time to set up the jigs than it does to kick on a jointer
Kerrys likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 06:55 PM

View gmcsmoke's Photo Album My Photos
scrub plane, jointer plane and dewalt 735 has worked for me for years.
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.
post #8 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 08:17 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
A scrub plane makes pretty quick work out of facing a board. They are easy to make. You can then run the board through the planer to make the other side parallel and return to the scrub side to clean it up. A shooting board and a decent hand plane will give you near perfect edges quite quickly. When I first started I got a bandsaw instead of a table saw. I could get ready to glue boards off the shooting board and bandsaw lots of curves. Much depends on what you want to make.
woodnthings likes this.
post #9 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
facing a board ...

What you are trying to do is eliminate any twist in the board and to make the surface as straight as possible. It doesn't have to be totally flat, but straight enough not to rock in the planers pressure feed rollers and causing them to lose their feed force, hanging the board up in the machine.

A sled just has to deal with twist/rocking by supporting the "high" corner. The "straight" part will come from the sled board itself as it runs under the cutter head.

I made a planer sled from some gluing frames, quick and easy to setup:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/pl...d-rails-14940/

Jointers remove material from below, planers take material off the top. Jointers support the bottom face on the outfeed table, planers use the beds OR the sled for support.

If you hand plane the board, removing the twist and make it "straight enough", you can run it through the planer and get a fairly good surface to flip over and make the top side flat also. So, YES you can get away without having a jointer. Straight edges can be done with a circular saw and a straight edge guide OR a straight line rip jig on the table saw OR a jointer hand plane. No need for a jointer for edges.
Kerrys likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-24-2017 at 08:38 PM.
post #10 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would get a jointer before a planer.
post #11 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If it were me I would get a jointer before a planer.

+1: I totally agree. You can buy your lumber S4S and work it into projects with just a joiner.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #12 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 07:42 AM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
Not always a fan of combo machines, but why not check out a combo jointer/planer like Jet offers. I think Rikon too.

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/c/wood...r=1&Reset=true
post #13 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 07:56 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I can live without a jointer, but a planer no way...
post #14 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance Man View Post
Not always a fan of combo machines, but why not check out a combo jointer/planer like Jet offers. I think Rikon too.

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/c/wood...r=1&Reset=true
Unfortunately the only model iciukd afford is the 8", which wouldn't work from a planer standpoint, but thanks for the suggestion.
post #15 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I was into woodworking for 20 years before buying a planer. I had a jointer as soon as I had a table saw.

Still use the planer much less than the jointer.

It really depends upon what type of wood that you buy. If you use a lot of rough cut wood then you need a planer. If, like I did/do, buy mostly S2S(surfaced 2 sides) wood than a planer is not a necessity.

George
Cowpokey likes this.
post #16 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 AM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_JL View Post
I will finally have room to set-up a small workshop in our first home we're hopefully closing on in a week. It's an old home that has many projects I'd like to try my hand at. Previously, I've used my grandpa's workshop which, while very well equipped, is 2+ hours away and I don't own a truck or trailer to haul lumber back and forth. With a limited budget, I cant afford all the necessities up front. What I do have is a very good circular saw, a very nice router, and intentions of picking up a decent planer. My question is; will a planer sled suffice to flatten 4/4 walnut planks for a counter top project I want to do? I could use the router with a split fence to joint the edge. I also need to build a work bench, and I want a laminate top made out of ripped 2x8s. Will my arsenal (assuming a decent planer) get me where I'm trying to go, or would I be better off putting these projects off for 8-10 months while saving/figure out a way to use grandpa's shop?

Thanks for any opinions.
It's interesting to see the range of opinions- however the way you phrase the question it's clear that you can easily get by with a rail and router set-up; I get perfect results joining 1.25" walnut planks 7.5' long using an EZ-smart rail system and a small Festool router, and I don't mind doing it.
post #17 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 11:33 AM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post

+1: I totally agree. You can buy your lumber S4S and work it into projects with just a joiner.

If your buying S4S you don't need a jointer, the material is ready for your project.
post #18 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 12:06 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
You can "get away" with no power tools at all if you want to, but life without a planer or joiner simply means more work if you plan to use dimensional lumber. Buying 4S wood can help, but it costs more, and is still prone to some twisting and warping over time.

A planer and jointer do different tasks, and are best when used in tandem....there's no more effective or efficient method to milling flat, square, straigth stock. A jointer flattens a reference face, and squares and 90 edge uniformaly along the entire lenght of that face. A planer smooths the faces and makes on side parallel to the other at a uniform thickness, but it doesn't create a reference face or a squared edge. With the help of a planer sled, you can coax a planer into flattening that reference face, but you'll need to use alternatives to square the edge. If you try to square the edge without first creating that flat reference face, there's no guarantee it'll be a true 90 along the whole face, and can make mating the edges more of a challenge because of deviations.

woodnthings likes this.
post #19 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 12:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
One more thing ....

Bench top planers in the Dewalt 734 and 735 realm, have very short beds for the in and outfeed tables. To make the best "jointer sled" you will need additional length on those tables. One way is to set the whole unit into a permanent surround which has the extended tables built in like this:

Another version:

Those images were found here:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=close

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #20 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Why would S4S cost that much more? If he buys from a cabinet supply dealer he will get S3S with be no discount even if he asks for it in the rough...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode