Building a wood shaper - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 35Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
Building a wood shaper

I built my own router table and used it and I am pretty proud of it because it is the first one I ever built because everytime I used it and once I get everything from bit height and the fence where I need it my projects come out perfect,

But now I am wondering about building a wood shaper and I was wondering what HP the motor needs to be and what size the tabletop and fence would be and was wondering if there are any motors out there without the soft start since I want to be able to control the speed for the bits without having to lift or reach under the table to control the speed.

Right now the money I was saving up is going towards my shops foundation since it was done pier and been style and its having to be redone in the back of the building to stableize it before it gets to bad. So I am doing a little research right now.
BigJim likes this.

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I think the motor size will depend largely on the arbor size of the shaper and what your needs are. Most of the commercial shapers I've seen and used were 3HP and greater but they were also intended to be used for higher production or at least with larger cutters and limited runs.

David
mjadams61 likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 04:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I used to improvise a shaper using a molding cutter on a radial arm saw. I now own two shapers and it not a piece of equipment that I would want homemade. It turns too fast, the cutters are a lot heavier than router bits and needs to be relatively heavy or the vibration would cause it to walk all over the shop.
mjadams61 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 04:56 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Don't even think of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjadams61 View Post
I built my own router table and used it and I am pretty proud of it because it is the first one I ever built because everytime I used it and once I get everything from bit height and the fence where I need it my projects come out perfect,

But now I am wondering about building a wood shaper and I was wondering what HP the motor needs to be and what size the tabletop and fence would be and was wondering if there are any motors out there without the soft start since I want to be able to control the speed for the bits without having to lift or reach under the table to control the speed.

Right now the money I was saving up is going towards my shops foundation since it was done pier and been style and its having to be redone in the back of the building to stableize it before it gets to bad. So I am doing a little research right now.

Buy a used one if you really need one...... ?

Remember, a shaper will only work on the edges of stock because of the cutter head mounting nut on the top of the spindle. You can't do plunge cuts on surfaces like on a router table. I have a nice 1 HP Craftsman 1/2" spindle shaper I was gifted 20 years ago, never used it once. My friend was scared of it, so I took it. Shapers are without a doubt the MOST scary machines and the most dangerous machines in the wood shop. Don't even thing of building one, it won't work and won't be safe!

There are molding heads you can use on your table saw, much like a dado set:
https://www.ebay.com/i/223492710406?chn=ps

mjadams61 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-12-2019 at 05:05 PM.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Not a bad fixer upper in Greenville. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tl...881428857.html
mjadams61 likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Well i do know how dangerous a shaper is since I used one at the antique store along time ago plus the custom van place too. And Steve you are right about the weight I didnt think about that.

And after all the good points everyone made plus I was just wondering about it I will stick on finding a 2 1/2 hp motor without softstart for my router table since I only have a PC 690 1 3/4 hp in it now. I used a lock miter bit in it and adjusted the speed down for it but it bogs down a little when I feed any hard wood thru it and I want to do raised panels on some of my projects especially out of oak and cherry and walnut if I can and them bits are way bigger and I want to add a speed control to a larger motor.

Marlin
post #7 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

Remember, a shaper will only work on the edges of stock because of the cutter head mounting nut on the top of the spindle. You can't do plunge cuts on surfaces like on a router table. I have a nice 1 HP Craftsman 1/2" spindle shaper I was gifted 20 years ago, never used it once. My friend was scared of it, so I took it. Shapers are without a doubt the MOST scary machines and the most dangerous machines in the wood shop. Don't even thing of building one, it won't work and won't be safe!

WOW thanks for the info :). I lok at a couple of youtube videos and also your link. I check out bot the single cutter you have a picture of and the 3 cutter one both by crafts man. And also how to make a zero clearance plate was shown for both. Now the hard part on which one. I still want to do raised panels occasionly but that setup you mention takes cared of the mold egdes :)

Marlin

Last edited by mjadams61; 05-12-2019 at 05:37 PM.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 06:05 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I think most people that had those Craftsman molding heads got rid of them when they got a decent router, I know I did.
mjadams61 likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #9 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 PM
where's my table saw?

I still have mine ...

While it is true I haven't used mine in years, I won't part with it. There just be a time when I need to make some unobtainable trim for a project and it may come in handy. This video demonstrates the single cutter version, but I believe I have both a 3 cutter model the single cutter version. I runs suprisingly smooth:

mjadams61 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 36 Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
WOW thanks for the info :). I lok at a couple of youtube videos and also your link. I check out bot the single cutter you have a picture of and the 3 cutter one both by crafts man. And also how to make a zero clearance plate was shown for both. Now the hard part on which one. I still want to do raised panels occasionly but that setup you mention takes cared of the mold egdes :)
The single cutter is handy if you wish to custom grind a knife. It eliminates the need to grind three matching knives. Now, the single knife cutter is about like running a jackhammer. It will get the job done if you make multiple passes but the job is about as unpleasant as it gets. The three knife cutter is a little better but still very unpleasant. When I went into business I couldn't afford a shaper and turned the shaft on a radial arm saw straight down and used both kinds of cutters. I did the coping and sticking for cabinet doors as well as the raised panels.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #11 of 36 Old 05-13-2019, 12:53 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

What size saw would you want to have for this? It looks like it would put a heavy load on the motor. For example, I have a low end Craftsman TS, which works perfectly well for my needs. Would it be a questionable idea to try to use these cutters on it?
mjadams61 likes this.
post #12 of 36 Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Just about any saw would run the molding cutter. I don't believe I would want to run one on the little Ryobi portable saw I have but certainly a contractor grade saw or bigger would do it. It doesn't put that much more load on a saw than a dado blade. It's just the dado blade has a lot more teeth on it which makes it cut smoother. I've turned the shaft straight down on a radial arm saw before and used it as a shaper.
mjadams61 and gj13us like this.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-14-2019, 01:00 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
Before doing any home machine building it would be responsible of you to check that you have good insurance.It might not help the family get over the shock of finding you (or bits of you) splattered around the shop,but it might help their future lives if everything goes wrong.Alternatively look for a decent used machine and buy tooling to suit.The latest Euro tooling is a lot safer than what went before and gives you a fair chance of at least being able to count to nine and a half.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #14 of 36 Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I have used the triple cutter model on both a radial arm and a table saw back in the day when I had no choice, it was not a pleasant experience and after getting my first router I never used it again.

If you need a shaper, buy a shaper, if you can get by with a large HP router go that route, realistically a home DIYer does not need a shaper.

Just be aware that there is a need by some here to have a solution to every problem and that need is usually more important than your safety.
mjadams61 likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #15 of 36 Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Mainly because I want to be on a thread where everyone has a solution.

I worked in a cabinet shop many years ago where a guy built a shaper. The thing was a beast and a work of beauty. It functioned perfectly and seemed quite safe to operate. The guy that built it was the best carpenter I seen in my life. Having seen and worked a homemade shaper, would I attempt to build one? Nope.
FrankC and mjadams61 like this.
post #16 of 36 Old 05-14-2019, 02:41 PM

View unburled's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I built my own router table.
If you've posted this, could you share the link? Thanks
mjadams61 likes this.
post #17 of 36 Old 05-14-2019, 05:58 PM
where's my table saw?

This old boy knows his radial arm saw......

When all else fails, experience comes into play and this fella show his stuff here. The "safety police" on the forum will probably find this threatening .....

The operating principle is no different than a dado set as this fellow concludes:
https://youtu.be/ouDqOW5ibDY?t=252

mjadams61 likes this.

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-14-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #18 of 36 Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
The Craftsman molding tool was made by "Corob". Various cutters and the molding tool is still available. They also made the Delta Model. I have used mine for years and like it. If your table saw can use a 3/4" width dado set...it can use the molding tool. Mine is the 3 cutter type, and when used with feather boards is very smooth and safe. I also recommend using it with zero clearance inserts and a sacrificial fence on a table saw. the cutters are sharpenable on a flat stone/diamond if necessary. When used you creep up on the final cut as you would with a router, usually in 1/8" increments. I have only used mine vertical...but you can tilt your saw to achieve different profiles also. To make raised panels, the panel is pushed vertically using a sacrificial push board of the same thickness to prevent tear out while the feather boards keep the panel pressed against the fence.

http://corobcutters.com/accessories.aspx
mjadams61 likes this.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to gmercer_48083 For This Useful Post:
unburled (05-15-2019)
post #19 of 36 Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 AM

ADP10 · 1/2" Extender:
"This handy accessory allows you to use our shaper cutters on a high speed drill press and on a router that accepts a 1/2” Shank. (shaper in picture sold separately) Also includes retaining nut and spacer."
http://corobcutters.com/adp1012extender.aspx
mjadams61 likes this.
post #20 of 36 Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unburled View Post
If you've posted this, could you share the link? Thanks
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/d...-table-201154/
mjadams61 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode