Budget Brad Nailers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Budget Brad Nailers

I need a new 18 Ga brad nailer because the cost to repair my old one would probably cost more than a new one. I'm looking at the cheaper versions from HF, Buffalo, NuMax, Freeman or any other brand < $40.

1) Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
2) Any other cheap brands you like?
3) Or would you steer clear of the cheap ones and only buy name brand?

I wouldn't be using it every day, just on ocassion.

Last edited by djg; 07-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I need a new 18 Ga brad nailer because the cost to repair my old one would probably cost more than a new one. I'm looking at the cheaper versions from HF, Buffalo, NuMax, Freeman or any other brand < $40.

1) Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
2) Any other cheap brands you like?
3) Or would you steer clear of the cheap ones and only buy name brand?

I wouldn't be using it every day, just on ocassion.
I don't know that there is a heck of a lot of difference in pneumatic nailers, at least on the hobbyist, DIY level. I've seen as many great reviews for Harbor Freight as I have for Porter Cable. The features I look for is an adjustable depth and automatic nail length compensation. All my nailer/staplers are Hitachi and Porter Cable and toolless jam clearance hasn't been an issue, I think I have only had maybe two jams in about 4 years. The Freeman's I've looked at needed to be reset for various nail lengths and for me, that would be a PIA. I've picked up some good deals on Hitachi products from Big Sky tools in their reconditioned section.

This is the nailer I use. I got rid of a deWalt because it only shot 1-1/4" nails. Time I went through 3/4" of molding and 3/8" of drywall, wasn't much nail left for holding. The 2" brads are a nice option.
Good Luck
http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_NT50AE...d)___i320.aspx

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Last edited by jschaben; 07-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
djg (07-22-2013)
post #3 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
i prefer tool less jam clear. and wide range of nails (3/4 - 2"). some leave a smaller hole than others from the hammer. senco's used to leave a very small hole. the double duty stapler/nailers leave large holes, more like a slot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Yes I'm not looking at a dual nailer/stapler just a 2" bradder. Any brands you like?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Bostich that I really like. I dont know what they cost new. I bought a compressor used and it came with a brad nailer, finish nailer and a stapler all new in the box for 150 bucks!! The downside with Bostitch is they only shoot Bostitch brand fasteners and they can be pricey. At least thats the case with my stapler. I havnt run out of brads or finish nails and needed to purchase any yet.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
I ran a bostich for 10 years, it started getting a little sloppy and left too big a mark. Good gun for 100 or so bucks.

I have replaced it with a Grex green buddy, not a cheap gun, but I run 10's of thousands of nails through them per year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode