Brand new to woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-15-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

View LtHuff's Photo Album My Photos
Brand new to woodworking

I kind of posted this in the introduction forums, but not many ppls look there. I have done "some" searching on here and from what I can tell it sounds like everyone would take a Table Saw over Compound Miter Saw for your first big tool am I right?
Before i was looking at the Makita 10" LS1013FL, but now I think i am going to have to start researching table saws. Right now space is limited so I have to put that into perspective and 500 dollars is probably the price range. Also one other thing is what kind of chisels should I get? There are so many out there i don't have a clue...
Also I don't have a workbench and I had read "build one yourself" everywhere, but I was also told that is more of a medium to difficult job...or at least for someone with experience. So before i get there are there any good ones to buy like in the 100-200 dollar range?
I plan on building things such as end tables, book shelves, maybe frames. I just want to get started on something basic and as I progress obviously get into more complicated things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-15-2007, 07:42 PM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
Look for a used table saw...and build from there. A table saw is the heart of the shop, IMO. Welcome to the forum!

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #3 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 AM

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
Hi LT, I'm new also. I started looking seriously for tools maybe around July. I have everything I need now. I use Ebay and Craigs list. And keep your's eye's out for yard sails etc. A guy had a band saw in his driveway for sale. I got it for $130. I got a decent work bench from Craigs list for 20 bucks. It had a 100 dollar vice mounted on it, I put 2 layers of MDF on it and sealed it. You can get a nice new table saw for 500. You want to look at what's called a contractor saw. If you don't mind used for 500 you could get a really nice big saw for $500 with a little hunting. I made the hunt part of the fun. I got lucky a few times. I was passing a yard sale. I stopped in. I got a radial arm saw, planer, scroll saw, and nice grinder with a stand from a yard sale. I see radial arm saws for sale all the time for anywhere from $50 to $250. You can do a lot with a radial arm saw. They do take up some space though. Other guy's on here have said, and I think I agree, save almost $100 of that $500 for a good blade. You probably didn't even think of that. I know I didn't. A good blade makes a world of difference. I just got a Freud Fusion. $99. It is unbelievable. The cut edge is so smooth it almost feels like glass. I got kitchen counter tops from 2 different kitchens that I mounted in the corner of my shop. It looks funny but it works great.. There all kinds of books and mag. with plans for workbench's. You can spend well over $100 for just the wood to build a good bench. That's another reason to look for used.

Last edited by bigredc; 12-16-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 AM

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
The maroon bench and the gray vice I got for $20. I did do the top. It's dead flat. I shimmed it where it needed. It is perfectly flat end to end.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Sam's Club sells a solid maple workbench with steel legs for $200 that's pretty darn solid. All you'd have to do is customize it to your liking.

Name:  0001764120206_L4.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  15.9 KB
post #6 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 12:13 PM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
Well I kinda think building a worbench is a great starter project. Your first one does not have to be all that fancy and as you progress you will find out want you really want out of a workbench.
My first one was just made out of 2x4"s and 3/4" plywood with a shelf and did me fine for a few years, I then added drawers and a few power bars and lasted again a few years till I built my monster.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
I have to agree with Joasis, a table saw is the heart of any woodshop.
It shoud be priority one when setting up a new shop.

Did you say tool sale?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

View LtHuff's Photo Album My Photos
I have been looking and i guess so far the best bang for the buck seems to be the ryobi BT3100?

I have checked craigslist and everything around me seems like they are 1990 style craftsman that have seen better days.

Last edited by LtHuff; 12-16-2007 at 02:58 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
The BT3100 is no longer made as that model#, but it is available as essentially the same saw with updates as a Craftsman 21829...many parts are interchangeable, includes a router table and roll away stand. It goes on sale below $350 sometimes.
Attached Images

Last edited by knotscott; 12-16-2007 at 03:19 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 03:31 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtHuff View Post
I have been looking and i guess so far the best bang for the buck seems to be the ryobi BT3100?

I have checked craigslist and everything around me seems like they are 1990 style craftsman that have seen better days.
LtHuff
I don't know a whole lot about that saw but I believe I would investigate further. Don't purchase something now that you will regret later because it it not large enough or strong enough to do want you want to do.
Depending on what your plans are for projects or how much you are going to use it, your table saw is the heart of you shop, it should be one that you will be able to count on.
This subject has been discussed allot here, you might search the site some and check out some of the other opinions on this subject.

Did you say tool sale?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-24-2007, 05:19 AM

View art3427's Photo Album My Photos
My experience with multi-function tools is they do many things "fair to middlin'" but seldom do any one thing well. Get a good dedicated cabinet saw. I've seen 'em run 25 years and never miss a beat.

As for a work table, try a solid core (fire rated), smooth skinned, 1 3/4' door from a second hand materials dealer. Dirt cheap, solid and perfectly flat.

art3427
post #12 of 12 Old 12-24-2007, 07:23 AM

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Bigred.
I do not see any clamps in your picture show me some clamps I love clamps nice set up by the way.

Bruce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode