Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Power Tools & Machinery (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/)
-   -   Bosch vs Porter Cable (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/bosch-vs-porter-cable-171010/)

Masterofnone 06-10-2017 09:03 PM

Bosch vs Porter Cable
 
I have a Hitachi 2-1/4 HP router with a fixed base and a plunge base. It's pretty much a piece of junk.

I'm looking to change to another router and I have a little PC trim router that I like, but I've also found a Bosch that's similar size, features, and price.

Anybody have any idea if one is better than the other?

Rebelwork 06-10-2017 09:35 PM

Good question...They were both good in the past but unsure of the current models.

I told work I wanted all yellow(Dewalt) but unsure if the current yellow is good,better or worse...

Curious myself....

Masterofnone 06-10-2017 10:30 PM

Porter Cable and DeWalt are owned by the same people, believe it or not.

Leo G 06-10-2017 10:32 PM

I picked up 2 of the Bosch MRC23EVSK routers. It has a plunge and fixed base. It has a light that shines down into the work area which is very nice. The motor seems much more powerful than the 2.3HP they claim. I have a 1617EVS which is 2.25HP and doesn't have the power of the new Bosch.

Only PC stuff I do is belt sanders.

Rebelwork 06-10-2017 10:32 PM

Routers are different..

Rebelwork 06-10-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo G (Post 1684570)
I picked up 2 of the Bosch MRC23EVSK routers. It has a plunge and fixed base. It has a light that shines down into the work area which is very nice. The motor seems much more powerful than the 2.3HP they claim. I have a 1617EVS which is 2.25HP and doesn't have the power of the new Bosch.

Only PC stuff I do is belt sanders.

PC belt sanders suck unless your left handed...Try Bosch.. A used Bosch is worth more than a new PC:grin:..

Leo G 06-10-2017 10:42 PM

Only belt sander I use now is the PC 2 1/2 x 14 mini sander for scribing.

Masterofnone 06-10-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo G (Post 1684570)
I picked up 2 of the Bosch MRC23EVSK routers. It has a plunge and fixed base. It has a light that shines down into the work area which is very nice. The motor seems much more powerful than the 2.3HP they claim. I have a 1617EVS which is 2.25HP and doesn't have the power of the new Bosch.

Only PC stuff I do is belt sanders.

I like a good light!

Rebelwork 06-10-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo G (Post 1684594)
Only belt sander I use now is the PC 2 1/2 x 14 mini sander for scribing.

What are you doing on face frames?

Techsniffer 06-11-2017 12:10 AM

I have a Bosch 1617 EVSPK router and it came with the plunge and fixed bases does everything I've asked of it without any issues, I even picked up the edge guide too.

Steve Neul 06-11-2017 12:28 AM

Bosch jig saws are good but their routers are lousy. The bits don't stay in the router very good and the motor doesn't stay fixed in the base very good. I had one and used two that belonged to someone else and they all had this problem. Mine just couldn't take being thrown against the wall so I replaced it with a harbor freight router.

notskot 06-11-2017 07:14 AM

It's a personal subjective choice, but I've come to like my Milwaukee routers better than any. MW uses a standard base opening that accepts the standard PC bushings and accessories without the need for an adapter, they a very stout motor for the amp rating, an excellent plunge base, and the Body Grip feature is awesome. If you'll be using this router for a lot of hand use, give strong consideration for how it feels in your hands. If it's for table use, variable speed is a must, and topside features are convenient.

Masterofnone 06-11-2017 07:21 AM

Yes I should have specified...

I have a dedicated table router. This will be predominately hand use using 1/2" bits.

Rebelwork 06-11-2017 07:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 1684674)
Bosch jig saws are good but their routers are lousy. The bits don't stay in the router very good and the motor doesn't stay fixed in the base very good. I had one and used two that belonged to someone else and they all had this problem. Mine just couldn't take being thrown against the wall so I replaced it with a harbor freight router.

Newer or older?

Steve Neul 06-11-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebelwork (Post 1684786)
Newer or older?

I guess I would have to say older as any of the routers I used were made before 1995.

Rebelwork 06-11-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 1684858)
I guess I would have to say older as any of the routers I used were made before 1995.

I use a lot of the 1613-1614 Bosch plunge routers which I really like. Have a few Dewalt 625 and 621 I never use...

You've been missing out on a lot... Even I used them old stanley routers in the 70-80's with the plastic locking nuts that drove ya nuts.

canarywood1 06-11-2017 04:42 PM

That DeWalt 621 was probably one of the finest routers ever built, and still is.

Rebelwork 06-11-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canarywood1 (Post 1685306)
That DeWalt 621 was probably one of the finest routers ever built, and still is.

I bought the the Dewalt 621 and immediately stuck it under a router table..So......................................... .......................Ok...I got nothing
negative to say >:)

canarywood1 06-11-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebelwork (Post 1685378)
I bought the the Dewalt 621 and immediately stuck it under a router table..So......................................... .......................Ok...I got nothing
negative to say >:)

Not exactly the right tool in a router table.

Masterofnone 06-11-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canarywood1 (Post 1685306)
That DeWalt 621 was probably one of the finest routers ever built, and still is.

I prefer to have an interchangeable base.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome