Bosch 1617EVSPK router help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

View dws780's Photo Album My Photos
Bosch 1617EVSPK router help

I finally got my router and router table(Bosch RA1181) setup, both are brand new so it's my first time using it. Also have a whiteside bit on it. When I try to do a test piece on a 1x3 it pull my 1x3 and so hard that the wood fly out of my hand (this is on speed 4) then I try to do a second test and set speed to 1 and it kinda have similar result but doesn't pull as hard. Was not able to route the wood at all. This is dangerous. I didn't even push the wood fast I did it very slow too. I only try to route like 1/4" of that 1x3. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 01:20 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you are feeding the wood in from the wrong side. If you don't have a fence then you need a pin for the wood to rest against then ease the wood into the bit slowly. Another thing is you could be trying to take more of a bit than you should. A heavy profile must be made in several passes, not all at once.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

I did feed it on the wrong side on my first attempt :(
But not the second time. I also try it feeding it against the fence and flat on the table with an feather board just can't get a smooth cut period. The bit I use is a round over. When you said several passes do I do incremental on the cut like from 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" and so on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
With the router upside down in a router table the bit is turning counterclockwise. With a fence on the router table you would feed the wood from right to left against the fence. It should be pushing against you, not pulling the wood out of your hands.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
feed direction is important!

For safety reasons there is a "correct" feed direction for hand routing and for table routing. You should feed the work INTO or against the rotation of the cutter, not the same direction or WITH the cutter rotation. There are exceptions, but not for novices.

Use a Sharpie marker and draw the cutter rotation on the router table top or the fence until you get more familiar with your new machine.

If you have to roundover internal edges use this method:
geo757 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I feed it to the right side.

That's from the lowest speed 1 and still can't smoothly feed it.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 06:08 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Wrong!

You are feeding it in the wrong direction according to this photo. The featherboards should face the opposite way and the wood should feed from left to right AGAINST the cutter rotation, not WITH:

Like this diagram;
geo757 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-11-2017 at 06:21 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Isn't that rotation arrow specific which direction? I did try it on the left and it pull the wood hard. As for the feather board aren't they reversible per the arrow?

post #9 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 09:31 PM

View geo757's Photo Album My Photos
if the bit is actually that high above top surface it is way to high,the cutter should go down below the surface top for a round overedge,looks like feed is in wrong direction,bit is turning in same as arrow on table top feed wood against the cutter rotation
post #10 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 09:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws780 View Post
Isn't that rotation arrow specific which direction? I did try it on the left and it pull the wood hard. As for the feather board aren't they reversible per the arrow?

The featherboard is reversible and has nothing to do with the direction of the router. The arrow on the featherboard just indicates which direction to feed the wood through it. Wood pushed the opposite direction for the featherboard can in fact break the fingers off the featherboard. In this case the featherboard was set and the wood was feed correct for the featherboard but backwards for what the router was needing.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Base on my picture is my router bit set too high? It's only slightly above the red cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 12 Old 07-12-2017, 12:22 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Bosch 1617EVSPK router help

The hole in the router table isn't big enough for the bit so you have the entire bit above the surface of the table. You need to put a different red insert in the table and lower the bit so the end of the curve is level with the surface of the table for a typical round over. You CAN raise your bit up and make a little flat below the curve on your workpiece, but taking all that off in one pass is asking way too much of your bit, it would take about three passes to remove that much wood.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode