Blade length for 20" Rockwell Model 28-350 bandsaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

View tgogary's Photo Album My Photos
Blade length for 20" Rockwell Model 28-350 bandsaw

I have a Rockwell 20" bandsaw model 28-350. I ordered a blade based on Dewalt service recommendation of 150". It is to long. I measure at about 141". There is no blade listed in any catalog that I can find for this saw. Does anyone know what the length should be, and where I could purchase one. Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Gary I looked online at www.sears.com and they stock 2 blades that will fit your saw. They are 140 inches. Most bandsaws have a long ajustment hight, so the 140 should work.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
Gary I looked online at www.sears.com and they stock 2 blades that will fit your saw. They are 140 inches. Most bandsaws have a long ajustment hight, so the 140 should work.
Handyman, So you are saying the exact length does not matter. If you can tension it is all that matters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Well To a point NO. this is what I have found in the 20 plus years of owning 2 old band saws and one hobby unit. When I bought my 2 old BS one didnt come with a blade, so I set the tension wheel in the middle of it's travel, and measured it for a blade. Well I couldnt find one that had the same measurement. But I did find one 1" taller and bought it, Fits like a charm and cuts like a razer. My 2 older saws have about 2 inches of travel on the wheel tensioner. So as long as a blade will fit and tighten up with a little extra for blade stretch, buy it, and get back to cutting.

I have an early 50s Delta Rockwell 10" and a middle 50s Craftsman 12" and cheep plactic craftsman 10". The cheep one I got new when I was about 17 years old.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure

Last edited by Handyman; 03-26-2008 at 06:56 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2008, 07:08 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul K
Gary
I have a Rockwell 20" also, and I just go to the local shop, (look under saw sharpening in the yellow pages) and have them make me a blade every time. They will make you any size you want. I think most saw sharpening services also sell bandsaw blades, and wide varieties of tooth type, and width. No, it doesn't have to be exact, just something that you can slip on the wheels and adjust to the correct tension.
paul
post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you one and all.
On another forum I was advised to call Suffolk Machinery Company, maker of Timberwolf blades. One chap got 30 min of advise, discussing the machine and what the machine was to be used to cut. Several of my Hickory Hills Woodworking Club members said Timberwolf was the best. I ordered 2 different blades based on what I have learned. I was lucky enough to get the salesgirl that could only read what was on the product list. That was disappointing but look forward to receiving the blades. My American Black Cherry log is waiting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode