Biesemeyer Fence Repair - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By subroc

post #1 of 12 Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
Biesemeyer Fence Repair

Just bought a used Biesemeyer fence off CL for $45. Got the fence, two angle pieces and 82" fence tube (steel). I need some info from you Biesemeyer experts. I want to replace the laminate faces on the fence. Not the wood, just the laminate and also the black edging on it also. It also needs the sight gauge as the old one is broken. I figure I can get the laminate from a craft store, but where for the black edging and the sight gauge. It seems to be in good straight shape, just needs painting. The fence has six nuts welded to the top of it and drilled through for fixtures is what the PO told me they were for, I don't know. Anyway, I think I can have a good fence system to replace my old Craftsman 113 series fence for little money with this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
My t-squares are all 2" channel Delta t2/t3s. I don't have a 3" channel Biesemeyer to look at. It would be helpful to see it. Could you post an image?

It might be easier to just make a new one. Then again, a repair might be all it needs.

Is the face some kind of Formica?

How is the edging attached? Is it glued on?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2017, 08:08 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
complete instructions here ...

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...l-and-refacing

:smile3:
mangorockfish likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-17-2017, 10:19 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The faces of the fence are more similar to melamine, only it's plywood. There would be nothing wrong with covering it with formica. If the black edging isn't too bad I would just ignore it. If you are going to change it I suspect it is this type material. https://www.lowes.com/pd/FLEXCO-Divi...rEKRoCpd3w_wcB It's available in different widths and colors. You may have to find an online supplier to get the size you need. The radius is going to be the hard part so better get some extra and try bending it first. You probably have to cut the back in segments and heat it to make the bend. The sight glass I believe I would try to get a replacement part from Biesemeyer since it has an indicator line on it.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Today I started the Biesmeyer restoration project. I stripped the front and back rails and got them primed. Now, what color should I paint them along with the fence its self? What is the general consciences here, go back with the original white , new gray/black, or Craftsman gray, since that is what it is going on? I'm thinking original white. What do you folks say?
post #6 of 12 Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 PM
Interested Observer

If you have the original stickers to put on, restore it to the original colors. If you are going to leave it blank or letter it yourself, use whatever colors you like. You can't go wrong with white, gray or black.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
If you have the original stickers to put on, restore it to the original colors. If you are going to leave it blank or letter it yourself, use whatever colors you like. You can't go wrong with white, gray or black.
The small sticker is still on it, but would like to put a new one on. Any idea where I could come up with one? I doubt I can get the old one off without destroying it.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Interested Observer

I have never restored anything that needed decals made for it. It is common in machine restoration. Here is one method to make decals. I am sure there are others.

Link to decal making
Steve Neul likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
I have never restored anything that needed decals made for it. It is common in machine restoration. Here is one method to make decals. I am sure there are others.

Link to decal making
Thanks for that, but I think I can salvage the original and also found the large sticker for it.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangorockfish View Post
Thanks for that, but I think I can salvage the original and also found the large sticker for it.
Sounds good.

What color have you decided to paint it?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Right now, I'm leaning toward white.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Today, I took the sides off the fence itself. What kind of wood should I put on the sides and would like to put the white "cutting board" plastic on it also. What is it called and where do I find it? All I have seen is textured. Is there a smooth type? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode