Best Electric Screwdriver? - Page 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 Old 03-19-2015, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 37
View Hartlus's Photo Album My Photos
I also regarded them as useless but now I want one. I use a lot of pocket holes at work and the impact driver often overdrives the screws or strips the hole. The drill might be a better choice but they are big and bulky. I do not put any faith in the drill clutch; I only use the clutch as a safety measure when drilling. The amount of torque required to turn each screw varies quite a bit in softwood plywood anyway. The drill is not terrible but it would be a lot better if it were smaller and lighter.

I'm a long time user of tools and I've decided that I have a need for a specific tool that may or may not exist. Maybe its time to pull that cheap little cordless screwdriver out and give it a second chance. Probably just needs batteries.
Hartlus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 40 Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 AM
World's Tallest Midget
 
Mort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 813
View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
Some of the higher end impact drivers are coming with different torque/speed settings. The low setting on my Milwaukee is 100 inch pounds. Then it's got two higher settings for when more violence is warranted. More versatile of a tool if weight isn't a concern.

I hate signatures.
Mort is offline  
post #23 of 40 Old 03-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,288
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There are a lot of tools out there that just don't work as I would like them to, don't know how many time I have cut myself opening a paint can with a chisel.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 40 Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Stevedore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Morris County, New Joisey
Posts: 552
View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
I've had a Bosch PS-10 for a long time & have found it to be very useful around the house. It pretty much died some time last year, so I ordered a replacement circuit board for it & got it going again. The electronic clutch seems to cut out at too low of a load now, so I don't find it to be as useful as it once was. I suspect that either the circuit board wasn't the exact replacement, or something happened to the motor when the original board died.
Attached Images
 
Stevedore is online now  
post #25 of 40 Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,733
View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartlus View Post
I also regarded them as useless but now I want one. I use a lot of pocket holes at work and the impact driver often overdrives the screws or strips the hole. The drill might be a better choice but they are big and bulky. I do not put any faith in the drill clutch; I only use the clutch as a safety measure when drilling. The amount of torque required to turn each screw varies quite a bit in softwood plywood anyway. The drill is not terrible but it would be a lot better if it were smaller and lighter.

I'm a long time user of tools and I've decided that I have a need for a specific tool that may or may not exist. Maybe its time to pull that cheap little cordless screwdriver out and give it a second chance. Probably just needs batteries.
a weak driver is like a strong one with a single low clutch setting... will it strip pine and come up short in oak?

better to go on feel IMO...
bauerbach is offline  
post #26 of 40 Old 03-20-2015, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 37
View Hartlus's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer no clutch.

If I could build it myself -

60-120 rpm max speed
Higher torque (don't know motor specs)
Rounded pistol grip
Variable speed trigger
Adjustable trigger stop

Might be a good start.
Hartlus is offline  
post #27 of 40 Old 03-20-2015, 02:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,043
View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
I have the dewalt 12V Li-Ion driver and love it. If I predrill holes, this thing is perfect. Adjustable clutch and speed varies with trigger pull. If I don't need to predrill, then the impact driver is my go-to tool.
Masterjer is offline  
post #28 of 40 Old 09-20-2016, 05:18 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
View myDoironser123's Photo Album My Photos
Drill is more powerful than the electric screwdriver and usually bigger, at the hardware stores.. you can find their everything you needed!

Last edited by myDoironser123; 09-20-2016 at 05:20 AM.
myDoironser123 is offline  
post #29 of 40 Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,851
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
There is no such thing as a "best" electric screw driver. Just like there is no such thing for many (most?) electric tools.

It is highly dependent upon the job(s) to be accomplished and the personal preferences of the user.

I have one that I bought from SAMS's Club many years ago. It holds a charge a long time and has a lot of torque and is good about fitting in small places. Without going to look at it I could not tell you the manufacturer.

George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #30 of 40 Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Pineknot_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,863
View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I have a B&D, Model L12000, from Wally World that I bought several years ago. It's rechargeable, the handle has three positions, and you can lock the head to use it as a manual. For the real heavy jobs, I go to the rechargeable Ryobi drill.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
Pineknot_86 is offline  
post #31 of 40 Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,941
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
words matter

The term electric screw driver means it has a cord and plugs into an electric outlet. They are used for drywall and decks:
https://www.amazon.com/Senco-Product...n%3A2380555011

A battery powered screw driver is a small, low torque driver with a hex chuck, usually powered by 3.6 to 10 volt rechargeable batteries. It may have an adjustable handle and torque settings:
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...ic+screwdriver

They are so different they are not really comparable.

Then there are impact drivers with have a "hammering torque" action which helps drive larger screws. They have a hex chuck for driving screws with the hex drive systems. The batteries are not built in and can be charged separately. They often come with 2 batteries and a charger:
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Orange-CIS...t+driver&psc=1

Then there are drill/drivers. They are similar to the impacts in size and power, but have an adjustable chuck to accept various size drill bits:
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=drikll+driver

The words used to describe the tool are important and will determine the response to any "what's the best ...?" question.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #32 of 40 Old 09-20-2016, 03:29 PM
johnep
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Anglia UK
Posts: 1,897
View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I just use a cheap B&D screwdriver. Manual is out because of athritic hands. If not powerful enough, then use my Hitachi Drill Driver.
Gradually converting to torx screws as more positive drive. Used posidrive previously.
johnep
johnep is offline  
post #33 of 40 Old 09-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,851
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The term electric screw driver means it has a cord and plugs into an electric outlet. They are used for drywall and decks:
https://www.amazon.com/Senco-Product...n%3A2380555011

A battery powered screw driver is a small, low torque driver with a hex chuck, usually powered by 3.6 to 10 volt rechargeable batteries. It may have an adjustable handle and torque settings:
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...ic+screwdriver

They are so different they are not really comparable.

Then there are impact drivers with have a "hammering torque" action which helps drive larger screws. They have a hex chuck for driving screws with the hex drive systems. The batteries are not built in and can be charged separately. They often come with 2 batteries and a charger:
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Orange-CIS...t+driver&psc=1

Then there are drill/drivers. They are similar to the impacts in size and power, but have an adjustable chuck to accept various size drill bits:
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=drikll+driver

The words used to describe the tool are important and will determine the response to any "what's the best ...?" question.
"The term electric screw driver means it has a cord and plugs into an electric outlet. They are used for drywall and decks:"

Not true. the term "electric screw driver" means any screw driver driven by an electric motor. Does not matter if it has a cord or a battery it is still electric.

George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #34 of 40 Old 09-20-2016, 05:17 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,941
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
cars are automobiles ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
"The term electric screw driver means it has a cord and plugs into an electric outlet. They are used for drywall and decks:"

Not true. the term "electric screw driver" means any screw driver driven by an electric motor. Does not matter if it has a cord or a battery it is still electric.

George
An electric car is still a automobile, even though it's powered by a battery. An electric drill may or may not be battery powered and most likely is a corded tool that plugs into a receptacle because the term "battery powered" is more specific and eliminates the corded types. Words do matter.

look up "electric" drill, they all have cords:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...c+Drill&fr=sfp


look up battery powered or "cordless" drill, none have cords:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...fp&fr2=piv-web

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #35 of 40 Old 09-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
MEP1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 211
View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
It's funny how no one reads through the thread before posting or they'd notice that a spammer resurrected one a year and a half old.
MEP1 is offline  
post #36 of 40 Old 09-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Village Idiot
 
epicfail48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 4,709
View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP1 View Post
It's funny how no one reads through the thread before posting or they'd notice that a spammer resurrected one a year and a half old.
Preach on brother man

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
epicfail48 is offline  
post #37 of 40 Old 09-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,851
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
An electric car is still a automobile, even though it's powered by a battery. An electric drill may or may not be battery powered and most likely is a corded tool that plugs into a receptacle because the term "battery powered" is more specific and eliminates the corded types. Words do matter.

look up "electric" drill, they all have cords:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...c+Drill&fr=sfp


look up battery powered or "cordless" drill, none have cords:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...fp&fr2=piv-web
Yes, very definitely they do matter. That is why I say you are wrong.

The wording that you like to use seems to deny that a battery driven electric screw driver is electric.

Regardless of the source of the electric current, the screw driver is electric. It is not pneumatic. It is not manual. It is purely and simply electric.

George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #38 of 40 Old 09-21-2016, 08:54 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,941
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's a generic term ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Yes, very definitely they do matter. That is why I say you are wrong.

The wording that you like to use seems to deny that a battery driven electric screw driver is electric.

Regardless of the source of the electric current, the screw driver is electric. It is not pneumatic. It is not manual. It is purely and simply electric.

George

..."electric" is the generic term for many types of devices.... There is a better way to describe the specific tool in the OP's question, and it's called a "battery powered screw driver".

If I posted the question "What's the best circular saw" you would be the first one to say "We need more information " OR .... "battery powered or corded?" OR pneumatic, or gasoline powered...?

I suggest you click on the links I provided and look at the images and you will see it's not just me who describes the tools in specific terms.... it's an entire search engine. I'm done here.:frown2:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #39 of 40 Old 09-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,851
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Just because other people incorrectly use the English language is no reason for you to also use it incorrectly.

George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #40 of 40 Old 09-22-2016, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Stevedore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Morris County, New Joisey
Posts: 552
View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
My lawnmower has an electric starter which is most definitely powered by a battery.

This old thread has gotten "screwed" up
Stevedore is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know where to find this screwdriver? boblite Power Tools & Machinery 17 08-26-2013 09:55 AM
Inexpensive Electric Screwdriver With Clutch and Keyed Chuck Wood4Brains Power Tools & Machinery 12 08-21-2012 02:43 AM
Do You Have A Screwdriver? cabinetman Hand Tools 23 06-24-2011 04:42 PM
Vintage Supreme Versamatic Screwdriver Handyman Hand Tools 2 01-28-2009 10:39 PM
My son picked up a screwdriver Allthumbs27 General Woodworking Discussion 16 12-29-2008 10:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome