Benchtop press problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

View Burnt_Blade's Photo Album My Photos
Benchtop press problem

I have a benchtop drill press at the moment, can't afford a floor model, and I was going to build a better table for it. The problem I have is that the elevation crank swings beside the metal table and in order for me to install a wooden table it would have to be 2 1/4" higher to allow the crank to turn. By doing this I cannot put some of my longer bits into the chuck.

Just wondering if anyone, having had these problem, devised a way to reposition the crank. I was thinking of some way of putting a sprocket and chain type of thing onto the shaft and then locating the actual crank under the table. Sure is a lot of hassle to make the darn press more usable

Wonder if you can replace the post of the press with a longer one..effectively making it a floor model?

Last edited by Burnt_Blade; 02-11-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
If I follow you

Why not just rotate the head of the drill press 90 degrees to miss the existing table and then you'll have additional height by just using the bench top. By sure to clamp the existing table to the bench.
Another solution get a longer piece of column as you asked. No problem if you can get the correct diameter. These are machined tubes so it may not be easy.
Your table attachment should only add 1/2" or so to the existing table so that shouldn't affect the height that much. Unless I'm missing your idea. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I may try that idea of rotating it, Bill, might be a good solution for the time being. I met a machinist the other day, maybe will chat him up about that column idea...otherwise not sure where to look for one of them.

Here's a pic of my press table, you can see how far forward the crank comes, so in order for a wooden table to clear that cranks rotation, it would have to be 2 1/4" higher than the surface of the metal table.

If were to put a longer column on it, would also have to find that gear track as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drill press table (Medium).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	13431  

Last edited by Burnt_Blade; 02-11-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's the crank!

Just modify the crank, extend it or use a ratchet with an extension that you can remove. Never mind all the other bad ideas I suggested! Too expensive! bill
You know those flat side ratchet wrenches that you flip from one or the other to tighten or loosen the nuts....maybe that will work on a hex type shaft.
Oh, just attach your cordless drill and have power up and down....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-13-2010 at 08:34 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
The machinist should be able to make a shaft extension to move the handle out a bit further.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
How about just notching the wood table the amount needed to allow the crank to move? It would take a little work to crank, but that would be the minimum mod.

G
post #7 of 11 Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
How about just notching the wood table the amount needed to allow the crank to move? It would take a little work to crank, but that would be the minimum mod.

G
If I notched the table it would interfere with the fence that I'd like to have at the back of the table.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Just FWIW, My floor model DP cost me $75.00. Shopping used, they aren't that expensive...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #9 of 11 Old 02-13-2010, 08:01 AM

View rcp612's Photo Album My Photos
I just removed the crank, cut a round piece from 8/4 red oak, drilled the side, put in a threaded insert for a set screw. A few "notches" around the perimeter for better grip helps too.
It's not fast in use but, then, I've never had a time limit to adjusting my table height.
You can make the knob (?) any size you desire just as long as it clears your table.

Do like you always do,,,, get what you always get!!
post #10 of 11 Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 PM

View beelzerob's Photo Album My Photos
I've got this exact same problem, burnt blade. Did you come up with a solution to this?

I had considered removing the crank and extending it out the side more (on some kind of supported shaft), but if there's a better solution I'd love to hear it.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 03:20 AM

View Tinkerbrad's Photo Album My Photos
Drill Press lift handle

beelzerob, I have the same press, with a round cast iron table. I'm looking into an extension for the handle. I'll post when I find a solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode