Benchtop Bandsaw suggestions? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

View DCuch86's Photo Album My Photos
Benchtop Bandsaw suggestions?

So I think my next purchase will be a bandsaw and I'm thinking bench top will be fine for what I do. I haven't had a huge need for one but I know it will be easier than using my Bosch scroll saw for cutting radius. Anyone have a suggestion? I've heard good and bad things about the Ryobi, Skil, Craftsman and Delta. Anyone have firsthand experience with these? I don't do enough resaw to warrant a 14" so I'm thinking one of the 9" or the CM 10" 1/3HP. Any tips are good guys! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
They've been fairly well reviewed on the website. If those are the two you're choosing from, i'd pick the 10 over the 9 inch as the 10 inch has a cast iron table and comes with a small fence.

For the record....I bought an older delta 10 inch bandsaw, and found it too small to do what I wanted. I'm seriously considering buying the craftsman 14 inch one of these days if I don't find something used first...

The tools don't make the craftsman....

Last edited by ryan50hrl; 01-11-2015 at 03:02 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Sawdust Creator

Oh...and since you're looking at an imported craftsman tool....let me just get this out of the way...

the tool you're looking at is crap....stop wasting money elsewhere in your life and buy this one instead. Then you can go into business and recouping the money needed to buy it....the only good saw is a USA made tool. Buy this one instead.

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...s/36deluxe.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Ha....I just read that whole thread before I posted this.

I'm seeing some used 14" around me in the Bay Area, mostly older Craftsman. If I go new and on the cheap, I was leaning towards that 10" model. For the record, I'm currently running the floor model 6 1/8" Craftsman jointer which I picked up for $160 and a 221140 I found for
$125 and put a T2 on and the 27680 router which all work beautifully for my hobbiest needs. Yeah, I'd love to go buy Powermatic or something else more high end, but it wouldn't make any sense when I do this on the weekends or at night and have a kid coming in four weeks and this is for fun not income.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 04:17 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty much any floor model is going to be better than a bench top model. If you have the room go with that.

Ive been contemplating the Skill 9" at Lowes just to get somthing easier to use than jigsaw for curved cuts. For a $130 I figure if I got it and didnt like it Id just return it. Im still on the fence though. It it pretty cheap looking. I really havent spent any time looking at other brands in the same category.

I dont have room for a floor model (nor do I need a 14" +) so if I got one itd have to be a bench top. All in all my jig saw does the job so Im not in a rush.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 04:48 PM

View jdonhowe's Photo Album My Photos
A few years ago I was in a similar situation- thinking a band saw might be useful, and leaning toward benchtop. Instead, found a 14" Ridgid, and ever since glad I went that way. I don't do much resawing, but having a larger table and deeper throat are real advantages.

Although something of a trek from the east Bay, this looks like a reasonable deal: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls/4836856439.html

I've been very happy with mine- no, it's not as refined as newer steel framed saws, but it holds its own against any of the other 14" cast iron frame models.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
Pretty much any floor model is going to be better than a bench top model. If you have the room go with that.

Ive been contemplating the Skill 9" at Lowes just to get somthing easier to use than jigsaw for curved cuts. For a $130 I figure if I got it and didnt like it Id just return it. Im still on the fence though. It it pretty cheap looking. I really havent spent any time looking at other brands in the same category.

I dont have room for a floor model (nor do I need a 14" +) so if I got one itd have to be a bench top. All in all my jig saw does the job so Im not in a rush.
Avoid that skil like the plague. It is a horrible, horrible little saw

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

Last edited by BigJim; 01-12-2015 at 12:21 AM.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 07:27 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Yea after doing a little more research I think Id try this one first

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-3-h...adCell=REC_1_0

and if I didnt like it return it and get this one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/JET-115-V...7200/205147286 .
post #9 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
Yea after doing a little more research I think Id try this one first

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-3-h...adCell=REC_1_0

and if I didnt like it return it and get this one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/JET-115-V...7200/205147286 .
I think chamfer has the right idea on recommendations. The craftsman one seems pretty solid, but I'd lean to the jet just because its a 1/2 horse motor over 1/3. Admittedly, on a smaller saw it isnt very likely you'll need that much power anyway, but ive never seem someone complain about having too much power. Power is actually my biggest complaint with the skil. Little @&$# only has a 1/8hp motor, can't even cut through a quarter inch of hickory

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #10 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. That Ridgid is about 1.5-2 hours away which isn't too bad. I'm going to have to wait a little bit, my wife's due in 4 weeks but I wanted to get some feedback so I can try and figure out my game plan. That 10" Craftsman would probably be the way I'd go if I buy new, otherwise I might try and find a 14" on CL. Maybe I can find a steal like that Ridgid when the time comes.

I had read reviews of the Skil that were pretty good for the money, a friend bought the Ryobi but hasn't really used it yet. I'm weary to buy any Delta at this point with what I've heard about their issues. That leaves me with Craftsman, Rikon (which I've been told is a clone of the CM) and some other random bench tops like a Harbor Freight. I have the space to do a 14" if I put casters on it but I was planning on making a base cabinet on casters for the bench top one.

Any suggestions on finding a good used 14"? Like any models to look for or avoid?
post #11 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Sawdust Creator

I don't know how far you are from this one.....but it was a beast of a saw...comparable to the 900 dollar Rikon (virtually identical)

http://modesto.craigslist.org/tls/4840164738.html

post #12 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

That's only about 30 minutes away.....if I had the extra cash that thing would be in my garage already!
post #13 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Sawdust Creator

Email the guy....offer him 250 and see what happens....I'd point out to him that today you can get a similar saw from sears for 399 on sale (the one I posted from craigslist is better)...

post #14 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I know I saw its $425 at my local Sears right now.....granted I would have to order it and wait for it to come in because they barely stock anything anymore. It's a shame what Sears has turned in to.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Sawdust Creator

The craigslist one has a bigger motor and comes with a fence (although I don't see it in the listing)....It also may have had cast iron wheels instead of Aluminum.

post #16 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 11:49 PM

View jdonhowe's Photo Album My Photos
Although I'm happy with my Ridgid, even with the higher price I think the Modesto Craftsman is a better deal, for the saw you'd get.

One way to sweeten the deal, given the timing: offer your first born!
post #17 of 23 Old 01-12-2015, 02:07 AM

View nbo10's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not too far from that cm. I may need to talk with the wife about an early birthday gift.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 AM

View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
I started out with a CM 10" saw, and wish i never had.

Be careful buying a 10" or smaller bandsaw. After you have one and get it setup correctly, you will find a multitude of uses for it that you dont think about beforehand. You will quickly find it too small to do what you want.
Dont be afraid of the Taiwanese imported saws such as the Jet, Grizzly, or Deltas. They are decent saws for the money if you get one used. I own a Jet JWBS 14CS that i got on CL for around $300. I upgraded to urethane tires, added a new cobra tension spring and tension crank. I also added Kreg Bandsaw fence.
With a 1/2" wood slicer blade on it from Highland, i can resaw my own veneers 6" wide and down to 1/32" thick if i want, quickly and deadly accurate.
When i add a riser block kit to it (my next upgrade) i will have a 12" resaw capacity.
With an Olsen 1/8" blade i can do bandsaw boxes, tight curves, or scroll patterns blazingly fast.
It is one of the most used tools in my shop next to my table saw.

Options abound for 14" saws. You dont get that with a smaller saw and are eventually going to move one to a bigger one anyway.
You wont regret it.

Last edited by Al_Amantea; 01-12-2015 at 07:41 AM.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 AM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Craftsman 10 inch (21400) and it did not really do what I wanted it to do but I am glad I got it and saved it. I now own a Grizzly 14 inch and love it. It does the resawing and heavy work.

I keep the Craftsman set up with a 1/8 inch blade to do quick scroll work or other such things.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM

View gus1962's Photo Album My Photos
My very first band saw was a 14" saw. I like it better than 10 because I can do both resawing and curve cutting on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode