Belt Sanders - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

View kreuzie's Photo Album My Photos
Belt Sanders

I want to find a quality belt sander for a gift, and need input as to brands and models, features, good and bad points, ease of use, etc. I don't have one in my shop, and haven't used one in years, so I'd appreciate any reviews, good or bad.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 PM

View Fishbucket's Photo Album My Photos
Porter Cable is the brand I had. it sanded countless floors. Only one I'd ever buy again.
Do you know what it will be mostly used for? They come in diffrent widths and lenghts.

I cut it 3 times..... and it's still too short.

Dont go ninja'ing anybody that dont need no ninja'ing...
post #3 of 13 Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Stationary or portable?

I like my 3" Dewalt and my 4" Porter Cable portables.
I have an old Craftsman 6 x48 stationary that need to be replaced, but it has served me well for many years. Powermatic and Jet make some nice new ones $$$$ oh well.
Dust collection is the biggest issue with any sander, make sure it has a easily adaptable connection for a shop vac with a small flex hose if you get a portable. The bigger hoses 2 1/4" are unwieldy when sanding. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreuzie View Post
I want to find a quality belt sander for a gift, and need input as to brands and models, features, good and bad points, ease of use, etc. I don't have one in my shop, and haven't used one in years, so I'd appreciate any reviews, good or bad.

Thanks
Are you referring to a hand held or stationary belt sander?

post #5 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Old as dirt

View The Engineer's Photo Album My Photos
Unless you specifically want a belt sander, don't forget to look at (ROS) random orbital sanders. I was old school and thought you needed a belt sander for coarse work and a vibratory pad or palm sander for finish work. But, when my old belt sander died I bought a new ROS last spring and I love it. It does it all; almost as fast as a belt and just as good as a finish sander. And the main attraction, beter dust collection than either other machine.

I still think I might get me a PC 4" x 24" belt for really heavy cutting in the future, but my main "go to" every day machine is the ROS.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post

I still think I might get me a PC 4" x 24" belt for really heavy cutting in the future, but my main "go to" every day machine is the ROS.

I have both PC's in 3"x24" and 4"x24", and I use the 3" 95% of the time. It's easier to control, and lighter. Between the weight difference and less frictional torque created by the extra inch, using the 3" over long periods of time is much less tiring.

post #7 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Like some of the guys above, I really like my PC. I have a 352VS that's takes a 3x21" belt. I use it to knock down unevenness between edge-glued boards and it is easy for me to control without ending up with low spots. Dust collection is pretty good, though it occasionally spits some stuff out the top. Then I switch to the ROS for finish sanding. If I use the ROS with coarse discs, I end up with swirl marks.

Bill
post #8 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM

View sketel's Photo Album My Photos
I used to use a lot of bosch belt sanders and like them because they are light weight or maybe it is just they are better balanced. Anyway, they are easy to control. At the time they were the only ones that had 0 clearance on the side (that I knew of), but that's not the case any more. This was before I was self employed. I'm not sure if I would spend the money on a bosch when my current belt sander dies.

ROS is a different story, I've used a lot of brands and can't stand using anything but a bosch, especially dewalt. Course I've never used any of the higher end sanders like festool.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Never claimed to be the least bit PC,but when it comes to sanders...we're pretty PC 'round here.

Alot of Dewalt stuff as well.But won't buy anymore of DW's 4 1/2" angle grinders,they just don't last(DO like their big auto buff however).Seems they suck in,all the wrong places,grinding funk......beit metal or worse when runnin masonary Hdrocks.PC has entered the grinding fray,snagged a cpl of them....time will tell.BW
post #10 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Kreuzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Are you referring to a hand held or stationary belt sander?

I donno either ..... bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Oops,assumed he was talking hand held....we call stationaries,"belt grinders" if in the vert position....then there's widebelts,disc and edge.Those are refered back to "sanders" to confuse it all a little more.BW
post #12 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
I have three hand helds... a skill worm gear drive unit, a makita 3x24, and a B&D trade 3x24... If I was going to buy one today it would be a Porter Cable. I find that as I got better with wood, I used the belt sanders less and less.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #13 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
If you are talking stationary. Ridgid EB4424 is the way to go. Love that oscillating belt sander, and you can swap over for spindles to boot!

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode