Been thinkin about a 6" RO sander. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

View Jim West Pa's Photo Album My Photos
Been thinkin about a 6" RO sander.

I've been thinkin about addin a 6" RO sander to the tool box and was lookin at this Porter-Cable 7346 6-Inch Random Orbit Sander.Then i got to thinkin...
Is this not just an angle grinder with a sanding head ?
Couldn't i just purchase a sanding head and install it on my angle grinder?
Anyone do this? Or know if it is possible and where to purchase the head ?
Oh, no wait..an angle grinder aint RO !! DUH Jim

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for me; JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for my soul,the other for my freedom."

At birth, God bestowed each & everyone of us with the most important responsibility there is..................FREE WILL.

Last edited by Jim West Pa; 10-20-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Jim.

If they have 'Random Orbit' heads for an angle grinder I guess that would work. Otherwise it would just be a disc grinder. It might be unwieldy, though, compared to a 5" palm ROS.

Bill
post #3 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 11:38 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
If you don't have one at all you might consider picking up a 5" from HF. It's one of the few HF tools that I consider decent and a bang for the buck. I've had one for around to 5-6 yrs now... It's not my primary but it's still kicking and for the $25 that it goes on sale for often is tough to beat.

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post
Jim.

If they have 'Random Orbit' heads for an angle grinder I guess that would work. Otherwise it would just be a disc grinder. It might be unwieldy, though, compared to a 5" palm ROS.

Bill
Mmm..now ya got me thinkin dodgeboy.
I wonder if such a thing does exist ?

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for me; JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for my soul,the other for my freedom."

At birth, God bestowed each & everyone of us with the most important responsibility there is..................FREE WILL.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
If you don't have one at all you might consider picking up a 5" from HF. It's one of the few HF tools that I consider decent and a bang for the buck. I've had one for around to 5-6 yrs now... It's not my primary but it's still kicking and for the $25 that it goes on sale for often is tough to beat.

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Hey Tom, i do have a 5" Dewalt that i bot bout 20+ years ago. It is my primary and it still goes strong as new. I did replace the pad about 3 years ago fer $10. (I'm fortunmate to have a Dewalt parts store very close).
Yesterday is was sandin some 18"x48" glue ups of used pretty distressed old pine with that 5" and relaized that i was spendin waaaay too much time with that 5" on the task.
I got to thinkin that a 6"er will probably cut my sandin time of bigger pieces back quite a bit (?)
I found that particular PC one, ( with polishing attachment) fer $125 on Amazon with free shippin.
It will be a part time tool tho so now that ya meantion it. I think i'll check HF and see if they have a 6"er.

Mmm..somethin about these cold rainy kind o' days that jist makes a fella wanna go online and buy a new tool

post #6 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
<< was sandin some 18"x48" glue ups of used pretty distressed old pine with that 5" and relaized that i was spendin waaaay too much time with that 5" on the task.>>

That may be where I reach for the belt sander with a 120 grit belt. Then finish sand with the ROS.

Bill
post #7 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77
<< was sandin some 18"x48" glue ups of used pretty distressed old pine with that 5" and relaized that i was spendin waaaay too much time with that 5" on the task.>>

That may be where I reach for the belt sander with a 120 grit belt. Then finish sand with the ROS.

Bill
10-4 on that one! (+1)

Although I got to say that ridgid 6" I have with 80 on it'll take material down bout as fast as any belt I've used!

post #8 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Jim, that Porter Cable 6 incher will cut fast, I really like mine, I agree with Tom, I like using the RO over a belt sander. The Dewalt is more of a finish sander, at least mine are.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I have an earlier model of the PC 6" ros, and like it a lot. After I had it a while, I found a Bosch, 6" ros, but didn't like it as much as the PC.
kept the PC and sold the Bosch.
Variable speed is nice on a ros.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Jim, that Porter Cable 6 incher will cut fast, I really like mine, I agree with Tom, I like using the RO over a belt sander. The Dewalt is more of a finish sander, at least mine are.

Thanks Jim. I think i'm gonna go for it.
I do use my belt sander if/when there is any paint or finish on the wood i'm reclaimin. So i spsoe i need a 6" RO to clean up the BS tracks and then pick up my 5" Dewalt for finish.
Yeah, that's it.

You guys sure can convince a feller he needs to buy a new tool .

The Following User Says Thank You to Jim West Pa For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-21-2011)
post #11 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have an earlier model of the PC 6" ros, and like it a lot. After I had it a while, I found a Bosch, 6" ros, but didn't like it as much as the PC.
kept the PC and sold the Bosch.
Variable speed is nice on a ros.
Thanx Pirate, 'preciate the review.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post

Bill
I keep my BS loaded and ready for heavy work dodgeboy.

post #13 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
I just read this month's wood or family handyman, I forget witch. They had a sanding article. They suggest tow five inchers. One ofr either hand. They said it takes some getting used to, but has more sanding area working for you than the six inch at lest cost. Also the five inch discs are more readily available and less expensive.

Thank You

Andy
post #14 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
I just read this month's wood or family handyman, I forget witch. They had a sanding article. They suggest tow five inchers. One ofr either hand. They said it takes some getting used to, but has more sanding area working for you than the six inch at lest cost. Also the five inch discs are more readily available and less expensive.

All i can say is........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode