Basic miters/new blade suggestions, Bosch 5412L CSMS - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

View Dan9876's Photo Album My Photos
Basic miters/new blade suggestions, Bosch 5412L CSMS

I'm attempting to make a picture frame w/basic mitered corners, using my Bosch 5412L CSMS. I've had this saw for about 7 years, haven't used it that much (so no wear issues), and despite fiddling with the adjustments & getting it set up properly (I think it is), I have NEVER been able to get this thing to cut a decent basic (not even compound) miter. Although the angle appears to be 45, the center of the cut is crowned. I've also had it be dipped slightly. This bloody thing was 600 some bucks, and had great reviews when I got it. You'd think it could handle a 45 degree cut across flat, square 1.5" x .5" oak. Nope. I am using the OEM blade. Might that be the trouble (blade flexing)? Any suggestions for a GOOD 12" blade? My finances are a bit limited at the moment, so cost-effective is vital.

I used to have a great shop, prior to a divorce a few years back (old story, eh?). I had a PM2000 table saw, & would cut miters with a jig like this one: https://www.finewoodworking.com/uploadedImages/Fine_Woodworking_Network/Image_Resources/Web_Only/99930357_low-miter-sled-drawing.jpg
Works great because errors are canceled out across the 2 pieces. Anyway to accomplish this with a SCMS? Maybe a couple pieces of angle iron, 90 degrees to each other, screwed to the saw table, 45 degrees to the blade, set for a straight cut. Anyone do anything like this?

TIA

Dan

Any opinions of this blade: http://www.amazon.com/Freud-D1244X-12-Inch-General-Purpose/dp/B00008WQ33/ref=sr_1_26?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1397435376&sr=1-26[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Freud-D1244X-12-Inch-General-Purpose/product-reviews/B00008WQ33/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1
I'm guessing the price is "too good to be true". Or to not be junk, at least?

Last edited by Dan9876; 04-13-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I would go with the miter sled. Even the finest saw wont cut 4 pieces into a square frame.

The other aspect of making miters meet is length. All pieces must be the same length. At least two and two, if it was a rectangle. Using some sort of stop on the opposite end of the cut is a very good idea too.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

post #3 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

View Dan9876's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Al, unfortunately I no longer have a table saw.

Or a jointer, or a bandsaw...

I was wondering if anyone had tried a similar approach with a SCMS, not a "sled", since the blade moves, not the pieces, but rather a similar way of setting up the pieces on the SCMS table, one on each side, so the errors cancel.

Agree about length being crucial.

How do picture framing places get their joints to match so well? Obviously, they don't use $4,000 cabinet saws. Anyone know how they do it?

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9876
Thanks Al, unfortunately I no longer have a table saw.

Or a jointer, or a bandsaw...

I was wondering if anyone had tried a similar approach with a SCMS, not a "sled", since the blade moves, not the pieces, but rather a similar way of setting up the pieces on the SCMS table, one on each side, so the errors cancel.

Agree about length being crucial.

How do picture framing places get their joints to match so well? Obviously, they don't use $4,000 cabinet saws. Anyone know how they do it?

Dan
They do have a very accurate way of cutting. It's a small saw blade on a machine that holds the stock. Not a cheap toll either. Best off if you lick your wounds and get back into it with a new table saw.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode