Bandsaw tire help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 30 Old 06-29-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

View dws780's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw tire help

I bought a used Grizzly 14 G019 bandsaw over a year ago and try to use it yesterday and for the 2nd or 3rd time and the blade came off loose. I readjusted it and the tire cracked out into pieces.

When this happen I took out the nut on the wheel but I am unable to take the wheel out. Do I need to prey it out?

I did a little research and seems like urethane tires are popular. Anyone have recommendation on brand?

Sulpher Grove Tool Urethane Band Saw Tires 1 Inch Wide by 14 Inch Diameter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H69UKI..._kxP-Eb0SS2PP0

This is a very old bandsaw I think it manufactured in 1980s and I would let a full tune up with a new blade as well. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-29-2020, 10:50 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
I replaced the material on my tires a few months ago going from dry-rot rubber to urethane. I really don't see much difference in cut quality or ease of use compared to when the rubber tires were still in good shape. As for brand, I just got the first ones that popped up on amazon with a good review...I don't think brand matters as long as you get the correct dimensions.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-30-2020, 09:26 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Is the model number correct, or is it a G1019? Grizzly doesn't list a G019. If it's a G1019, Grizzly has them- about $35 for a pair shipped. P1019025 is the part number.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 06-30-2020, 11:40 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I am still using the orange urethane tires that came with my used bandsaw, so take this hint with a grain of salt. It may be hype, but I plan to buy Blue Max tires when it is time to replace the orange tires on my bandsaw. Scroll down to read the text. I like that they are made in USA and have a lifetime warranty. I have no experience (yet) with their bandsaw tires, okay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BLUE-MAX-...W/263971658289
This also takes you there:
http://bandsawtirewarehouse.com
https://www.ebay.com/str/bandsawtirewarehouse

I am not on Facebook, but here is their page, which also has a contact phone number:
https://www.facebook.com/Band-Saw-ti...0209563754224/

908-241-2885

I doubt that you can get that level of support from an overseas manufacturer.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 06-30-2020 at 11:59 AM.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-30-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Is the model number correct, or is it a G1019? Grizzly doesn't list a G019. If it's a G1019, Grizzly has them- about $35 for a pair shipped. P1019025 is the part number.

Yes I made a typo on my model number. Thanks correcting it

post #6 of 30 Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I am still using the orange urethane tires that came with my used bandsaw, so take this hint with a grain of salt. It may be hype, but I plan to buy Blue Max tires when it is time to replace the orange tires on my bandsaw. Scroll down to read the text. I like that they are made in USA and have a lifetime warranty. I have no experience (yet) with their bandsaw tires, okay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BLUE-MAX-...W/263971658289
This also takes you there:
http://bandsawtirewarehouse.com
https://www.ebay.com/str/bandsawtirewarehouse

I am not on Facebook, but here is their page, which also has a contact phone number:
https://www.facebook.com/Band-Saw-ti...0209563754224/

908-241-2885

I doubt that you can get that level of support from an overseas manufacturer.

I think I seen some orange one made in the USA also. Was wondering whats the different between blue vs orange ?

post #7 of 30 Old 06-30-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

When I took the nut off I was not able to slide the wheel out.

Crack tire

Should I replace both the blocks guide and bearing?

The bottom bearing is not as smooth as the top. Can I use wd40 or 3in1 oil? Or it need to be replace?

post #8 of 30 Old 06-30-2020, 06:42 PM

That tire looks OLD, probably original. The new ones from grizzly are clear, with just a yellowish blue tint. As to the bearings, I'd replace both, they are a common bearing, not very expensive. I did mine. Only reason I see to replace the blade guides is if you want to upgrade.

post #9 of 30 Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

This bandsaw need a lot of TLC lol

If its not too expensive I want to replace/upgrade them. I think I need a new blade as well. I think the size is 93-1/2

post #10 of 30 Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws780 View Post
This bandsaw need a lot of TLC lol

If its not too expensive I want to replace/upgrade them. I think I need a new blade as well. I think the size is 93-1/2

Yes, 93-1/2" without the riser block. I like the Olson saw blades.

post #11 of 30 Old 07-02-2020, 08:49 AM

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
Blue Max tires from Band Saw Tire Warehouse is the way to go. Got a new set in my shop that haven't been put on yet. They look like top quality tires.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-02-2020, 11:55 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws780 View Post
I think I seen some orange one made in the USA also. Was wondering whats the different between blue vs orange ?
I don't know about Blue Max vs. Made-in-USA orange. Will you please post a link to a Made-in-USA orange bandsaw tires? I searched, but could not find one.

Bearings for bandsaws are the sealed type, so external lubrication won't help. If they aren't smooth and perfect, replace them. I have seen where people (some on WoodworkingTalk) disassemble them, rebuild them, repack them with new grease, and reseal them, but most people (including me) buy replacement bearings. They don't cost much, not nearly enough to be worth that kind of effort.

I can't tell what kind of guide blocks you are using, but if they are plain metal, I would replace them with Cool Blocks. I have Cool Blocks in my old bandsaw, and they work well for me. They don't cost much compared with replacing your guides with Carter bearing guides, so I would try them first.

Another kind of replacement block (like Cool Blocks) is made from ceramic. They cost more than Cool Blocks, but they are very durable and are supposed to keep blade friction heat down. I like Cool Blocks because they cost less and won't damage the blade if they come into contact with the blade's cutting edge.

FYI, some people make their own blade guide blocks from hardwood.

You can replace the guide blocks with Carter bearing guides, but they are expensive. I have seen where sawdust can build up a hard crust on the guide bearings and degrade their functionality, so maintenance cleaning and occasional bearing replacement is needed once in a while. Bearing guides are popular and work well. I see them on a lot of new bandsaws.

Laguna makes aftermarket all-ceramic guides that have four blade touch points (instead of two), positioned above and below the thrust "bearing" for each top and bottom guide. They use the same guides on their bandsaws. I do not know if they make one for your Grizzly. They are expensive, too.

Summary of Recommendations:
* Replace your thrust bearings with new ones.
* Try Cool Blocks and/or ceramic guide blocks first, before considering Carter or Laguna replacement guides.
* After that, if you still want to buy replacement guides, compare the Carter and Laguna models.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-02-2020, 12:21 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I've never heard of this BUT ......

https://www.google.com/search?client...sclient=psy-ab

Corian is a hard material, but it will cut with woodworking bits. It might make great guide blocks for a bandsaw..... I donno?
Well, I guess someone tried them:
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/forum/bandsaw-guides

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-02-2020 at 12:27 PM.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-06-2020, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I just order the blue max tires from bandsaw tire warehouse.

I also plan to upgrade the v belt as well and need recommendations on aftermarket if its better then grizzly OEM.

The cool blocks is on my list to replace as well. Grizzly OEM size is 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/4L If you have a link on those cool blocks that will be great.

Lastly I want to replace those ball bearing since its doesnt cost much.

Will the above upgrade/update be enough for this old saw? I dont want to spend too much otherwise I might as well save up and get a new saw :)

post #15 of 30 Old 07-06-2020, 10:59 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
You can buy the cool block as a brick and cut custom block sizes from it, cheaper than paying for the little blister packs. I posted it up already with a pic and a part #, do a search. Bearings should be $1 each on eBay, order two sets and Murphy will leave you alone. V belts are common sizes, just take your old belt to Autozone or Napa and buy one from Dayco to match. Car belts are designed for 5000 RPM and the motor on your saw is probably either 1700 or 3400 so the car belt will be just fine.

Quote:
I don’t want to spend too much otherwise I might as well save up and get a new saw :)

There's a topic a group of old men could beat to death for a week or two LOL
post #16 of 30 Old 07-07-2020, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Can someone confirm if this V belt will work for my saw?

Gates - A51 Belt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MURLH8..._ZbjbFbASWM4JV

I was told Gates makes high quality belts
post #17 of 30 Old 07-07-2020, 11:41 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
From the looks of your flywheel, you have a very high quality built band saw. I use Timber Wolf band saw blades for two reasons, the first reason is they have very good blades, and the second reason is you can call them and ask any question about band saws and the blades you need to cut the material at hand.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-07-2020, 12:03 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Can someone confirm if this V belt will work for my saw?

What is the part number of the OEM belt?

It's coded to give you all the dimensions and lengths.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V-Belt_Size_Chart.pdf (57.7 KB, 7 views)
post #19 of 30 Old 07-07-2020, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArr View Post
What is the part number of the OEM belt?

It's coded to give you all the dimensions and lengths.

P1019092 - V-Belt A-51

post #20 of 30 Old 07-07-2020, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
From the looks of your flywheel, you have a very high quality built band saw. I use Timber Wolf band saw blades for two reasons, the first reason is they have very good blades, and the second reason is you can call them and ask any question about band saws and the blades you need to cut the material at hand.

How are they compare to the Olsen ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode