Bandsaw Tire broke - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mark Jones Ozark
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By sgcz75b

post #1 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

View ChuckBarnett's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw Tire broke

I have a Grizzly 17 in bandsaw and was sawing away when all of a sudden things got really wobbly. Shut it down to find that the upper tire had broken. This is probably original and from the date on the front of the saw it looks like it's a 2009 model. So 10 years. I guess that's probably pretty decent. It's not like I'm doing production...

My question is do you buy two tires when you replace one? What brand? I've heard Carter is good but why wouldn't a guy buy original replacement stuff?

These are questions that a relative newcomer would ask.

Thank you, all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 02:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Which type of tire ....

You can use ether type of tire, the original rubber or the newer Urethane sold by Carter and others. This video explains how and why you might want to chose the new urethane tire:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
ChuckBarnett (04-22-2019)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 02:51 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You could replace just one of the tires but I would buy two when you do. I think they come in a set of two anyway.

I don't care for the urethane tires. I have one bandsaw with rubber tires on it which has been fine since the early 1980's. Then I bought an antique bandsaw that didn't have any tires and urethane tires look like the easiest solution. The tires lasted less than six months before they started walking off the wheels. I'm going to try some kind of adhesive on the tires but in hindsight I which I had gotten rubber tires and glued them on and been done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Steve doesn't like the urethane tires but the WOOD video promotes them. What's a rookie to do...

Think I'll call Grizzly and get anoter take on this.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 03:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
Steve doesn't like the urethane tires but the WOOD video promotes them. What's a rookie to do...

Think I'll call Grizzly and get anoter take on this.
What I have read about the urethane tires is on wheels 20" or bigger they are very prone to come off. Since the saw I bought was only 14" I thought I would be good with it. Now, it's entirely possible I bought a bad brand is the reason for the trouble. I have a real knack for finding lemons and there is no way I can find out what brand I did buy. The packaging was disposed of. All I can say is the tires I bought are black in color.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, I went ahead and ordered them from Griz. I'll report in if I have trouble. I'm hoping your malady isn't catching, Steve!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought the Grizzly 17" saw. The store is about 15 miles from my house so I have been buying grizzly stuff. The older salesmen on the floor are woodworkers and they have a lot of knowledge there. I talk to them before I buy.

I have a delta 14" bandsaw 1/4" blade on it. I replaced the tires on it last year. Just measured the wheel and found some they said would fit. I had to trim them 1/8" and heat them up in hot water to get them on but they are working fine. Buying the Grizzly with parts is peace of mind for me.

Resawed 5 ' four foot long walnut logs this past 2 weeks. The Grizzly 17" with a 1" resaw blade made it fun and the boards were nice and straight. The 1/2" resaw blade on the delta was always a struggle. Enjoy woodworking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
Well, I went ahead and ordered them from Griz. I'll report in if I have trouble. I'm hoping your malady isn't catching, Steve!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
Watching the video. I left my wheels on and just used clamps to keep the wheel from turning. It took about 5 minutes to pull them off clean the hub while the new tire was soaking in hot water I then put the other one on and then I trimmed it with a sharp utility knife with a new blade.
Tool Agnostic and sgcz75b like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-24-2019, 04:22 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I use urethane tires on my 14 inch 1953 Delta 890 bandsaw. I do not need or use glue. If it were me, I would replace both tires at the same time. My bandsaw tracks perfectly with the urethane tires, so I never saw a need for the older rubber tires with glue.

Iturra Designs is a great source for bandsaw wisdom and supplies, including tires. They are "old school" - they send a paper catalog in the mail, take phone and mail orders only, and have no internet presence at all.
sgcz75b likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
You can learn more about bandsaws from Iturra's catalog than any other single source. Great guy and great products.

I like that he comes at the bandsaw from "What we can objectively measure" rather than "what we can guess at."
Tool Agnostic likes this.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by sgcz75b; 04-24-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode