Bandsaw resaw fence - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

View Kender's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw resaw fence

I have seen several resaw fences for sale but they have either a roller of a curved surface with the peak in line with the blade. The description saws that this allows for blade drift. From my understanding (so far) of resawing, if you have the right blade with the right tension you won't have drift and you shold be able to just use a straight fence....just taller than normal. If this is correct then these fences allow for poor setup instead of doing it right. Am I missing something?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 06:02 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Kender,
I think your assumptions are correct in theory. If the saw is setup right, it should cut straight. But sometimes they get a mind of their own and run off a bit. The hump in the middle of the fence lets you 'steer' the wood back on track. Another situation comes to mind. Maybe you want to resaw a rough piece of wood that isn't perfectly flat or straight. You could scribe a pencil line on the top edge and follow your pencil line. If you are using good blades, good guides, and a good saw, you may never use the humped fence. I have a kreg fence for my jet 14" saw. It came with the additional humped piece to attach to the regular fence. I have never used it. I use timberwolf blades and have carter wheels for guides and find the saw cuts pretty straight.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 PM

View Skidooman93's Photo Album My Photos
You are correct Sir,

The humped fences, or dowels are just for poorly set up band saws. I have a 14" grizzly that wont drift at all. I use timberwolf blades, and when tensioned properly it resaws like a champ. I use a piece of melamine shelving for a fence and clamp it down with some of the rockler clamps for clamping aux. fences. I really don't think you need a humped fence unless you are resawing logs all of the time. It really gets old drawing the line on your wood just to resaw it. The few times I have resawed a irregular shapped piece of wood I just draw my line and free hand it no fence. Then it is on to the jointer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

View Kender's Photo Album My Photos
Cool thanks for the input. Some time this coming week I plan to order a grizzly 14" (g0555) with the riser block. For resawing I was looking at the woodslicer blade http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=6075 but I have also heard good things on the timberwolf blades so I may have to check them out. I was going to add cool blocks but I just saw that the grizzly comes with ball bearing guides already. So it looks like the only upgrades I need are the blade, riser block, and shop built resaw auxillary fence.

Thanks
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2014, 07:11 AM

View punkin611's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kender View Post
I have seen several resaw fences for sale but they have either a roller of a curved surface with the peak in line with the blade. The description saws that this allows for blade drift. From my understanding (so far) of resawing, if you have the right blade with the right tension you won't have drift and you shold be able to just use a straight fence....just taller than normal. If this is correct then these fences allow for poor setup instead of doing it right. Am I missing something?

thanks
I have the Carter switchable magnetic fence with tall add on. With it I can cut veneer in my sleep!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Seems thats the way many different companies do things now. For years in the archery world, fixed broadheads were the only thing you could get. That meant spending time tuning every arrow and broadhead before you took them to the woods. Thats a good thing right? Now, mechanical broadheads are all the rage because they "fly like field points" and require zero tuning. They also dont open on impact like they should every time so theres hunters injuring deer and leaving them to die because they cant find them. Mechanical broadheads are a band aid used to mask another problem. Ill stick to my Muzzy's!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode