Bandsaw Questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

View TuaLaoch's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw Questions

I was looking for a decent older bandsaw on Craigslist and found an older Craftsman. I haven't seen it in person, so I don't know what model it is. However, it has an 80" blade and I THINK it might be a model 103. It has no belt and I wonder if I can find one to fit. Anybody have any helpful info?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CraftsmanBandsaw.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	309577  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
sizing a belt ...

Make a slip not on a small diameter rope, like a lasso.... Slip the loop over both wheels and tighten it by pulling the long end. Make a mark on the rope where the rope is tight with a sharpie. This is the length of the belt you need when you go to the store. You will have to unloosen the loop to remove it, so that's the reason for the mark.

The hardware store or tractor supply will have a device that can measure the loop and readout the length, at the mark ... OR you can lay out the rope without the loop next to a tape measure to determine how long it is.

Electric motor V belts are different in cross section than automotive V belts, so do not use the automotive type on your machines pulleys.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks. I had thought of something similar, but, having never replaced a belt on a bandsaw, I wasn't sure if there was some standard I should use. Thank you for confirming this method, sir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 11:58 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There is a chart here, enter diameter of pulleys and distance from center to center and it will give belt length.

http://benchnotes.com/Gear%20and%20p...calculator.htm

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #5 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 03:20 PM

View JamesN's Photo Album My Photos
Or you could just buy a belt meant to fit your saw. Look up the user, Polybelt on eBay. They make belts for almost every saw, i bought from them before, they fit nicely.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-16-2017, 02:10 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Or you could just buy a belt meant to fit your saw. Look up the user, Polybelt on eBay. They make belts for almost every saw, i bought from them before, they fit nicely.
That looks like a homemade stand so I doubt there is a stock belt listed for it.
woodnthings likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #7 of 10 Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM

View JamesN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post

That looks like a homemade stand so I doubt there is a stock belt listed for it.
Oh, I didn't notice that there was a picture. Yeah, i doubt it also.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your helpful responses. I'm going to look at the saw this weekend. This is the first older saw I have ever fiddled with. What else will I probably need (besides the belt and probably a new blade)? Tires? I'm new to repairing saws. I can use 'em pretty well, but I've never had to replace anything on them before. Thanks, again!
post #9 of 10 Old 08-17-2017, 10:28 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like the first band saw I had. I think it uses round blade guides, so you can just use hardwood dowel stock for them.
Check the motor speed. By the size of the upper pulley, it must have a 3450 rpm motor. Or someone put the big pulley on to slow it down for metal cutting.
Even if the motor is 3450 rpm, I think the blade speed would be too slow for resawing.
If you are going to cut wood, I would check out this calculator to determine pulleys needed.
http://vintagemachinery.org/math/sfpm.aspx
Wood cutting usually requires 1000 sfpm - 8000. My Delta band saw had a 2200 sfpm blade speed. I changed a pulley and got 3160 sfpm, and it cut much better.
Unless the tires are missing parts, I would try the saw out with the tires on it. When I bought my 1951 Delta band saw, the tires were cracked a lot, and the saw cut fine. I replaced the tires and it cut the same.
Some people buy a used saw and buy every accessory, before seeing how it works. Then realize they want a better saw. Like the guides. you can buy a roller bearing setup, but orig. guides in good shape will usually work fine. Many people prefer the origs. over bearings.
In my book, it's an entry level saw, and worth $50 - $75. Closer to $50, as you won't be able to hear it run.
Good luck with it.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-17-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. The guy is asking $60, so I will probably offer $40 and change out the big pulley for a smaller one, if I decide to buy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode