Bandsaw Questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw Questions

I'm totally new to bandsaws. I recently purchased the biggest one that I could afford and that will fit in my little storage shack that doubles as a very small work shop: a 10" Craftsman Model 21400.

I have about 20 minutes using it before I realized I needed to learn a lot more, so I watched a ton of YouTube videos on how to set it up, use it, and various projects. And that I need more than just the one blade it came with.

So I now have a few more blades. But the instructions with one blade says that you should Not recoil blades after use. It seems, from the videos I've watched, that a lot people keep their spare blades coiled up. Heck, I don't even have room to hang them anywhere uncoiled.

So my question on this is: is it OK or not to coil up used blades?

Also, most of the videos recommend to release blade tension after use. I'm use to being able to just grab a saw and use it. Having to setup the blade each time -- tracking, tension, blade guides, etc. -- seems like a lot of work just to make a couple quick cuts.

My question on this is how import is it to release tension after each use? Is there a time limit, as in can it stay tensioned all weekend? A week? Just one day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
wives tails..... foohey

I have the same saw and I don't release the tension after use. I "recoil" the blades when they are not in use. You have to coil them properly to reduce the strain on the welds. I've never had a blade break while I was coiling back up.... foohey.... don't believe all of what you see on the web, you didn't, so you asked here for advice.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum and we're looking forward to seeing what you build! Photos required

I've been recoiling my blades for 40+ years with no issues. I doubt your bandsaw has a tension release. My 1950 12" King-Seeley bandsaw doesn't have a tension release therefore the blades have always been in tension.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's amazing how much bad info you can get on the internet. The blades come from the factory coiled up so there is no reason you can't re-coil them. I've even used 36" saws you had to coil them twice to get them to a manageable size.

While you might extend the life of the tires on a bandsaw to release the tension it isn't worth it. I have a 36 year old shopsmith bandsaw that still has the original tires and I never release the tension.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-23-2016, 11:53 AM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
I release tension on my scroll saw but not on bandsaws.

I hate signatures.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! And the great insight!

Tags
bandsaw, blade, coil, tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode