• 1 Post By Mycrossover
  • 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By lockit3
  • 2 Post By sgcz75b

post #1 of 19 Old 05-06-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

View jg2259's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw Guide Block Adjust

Hello all,

I have a Delta 28-203 14” Bandsaw and I’m trying to change out the guide blocks, however I am having a hell of a time getting to the hex screw on the bottom left guide block. I have had this issue for forever, but I just left the block where it was and hoped for the best.

But I really want to make this setup right, but no matter what I do, I can’t seem to find an Allen wrench that will fit under there so that I can loosen or tighten the screw. I have the correct size wrench, however, once it is inserted into the screw, the wrench hits parts of the saw. A smaller wrench probably wouldn’t help because of lack of room to turn it. If I could insert it at an angle, I think my problem would be solved.

I know that this has to be an issue for others, or is it just me?

thanks for any direction or guidance. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
The lower left guide on my Grizzly 513X2BF is also difficult due to location. Takes a 5mm but a regular Allen wrench is too long both in length and arm.

A hacksaw fixed that. The length is now 4.5 inches and the arm is 3/4 inch. Works great.
woodnthings likes this.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor
post #3 of 19 Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Try a key with a ball end:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (2.3 KB, 28 views)

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Beware of purists

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post

Except the ball is on the wrong end for tight spots. I have many ball end Allen wrenches except they're on the long side, not the arm. The arm must be very short to solve the problem. Thanks anyway.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor
post #5 of 19 Old 05-07-2019, 08:56 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Chapman set in the 1970's. it has saved my bacon many many times
https://chapmanmfg.com/

ratchet, stubby handle, finger handle, extensions - it's my "when all else fails" goto.

they have just about everything hex/star/torx/etc
and selected sizes with the ball tip.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-07-2019, 12:58 PM

View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
Cut a short section of key and turn it with the box end of a combo wrench. A little scrap of paper will keep the key in the wrench until you get going. I have a 14" Rockwell/Delta and I don't recall having so much trouble unless yours is much different than mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
woodnthings likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-07-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcz75b View Post
Except the ball is on the wrong end for tight spots. I have many ball end Allen wrenches except they're on the long side, not the arm. The arm must be very short to solve the problem. Thanks anyway.
Love this place, somebody asks for a chocolate cake recipe and somebody else comes along and says that is not how to make an apple pie.

My reply was in regard to the Delta that he wanted a key that would work on an angle, why are we concerned about your Grizzly that you already have a solution for?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #8 of 19 Old 05-07-2019, 02:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Get a set like this .....

It has all the common drivers for hex, torx, square and slotted fasteners. The handle ratchets but adapters are included for power impacts also. You can also turn them with a box wrench in tight quarters like the bandsaw guides.

https://www.amazon.com/Lichamp-Screw...YDYNYS750WW8EG

still not enough drivers?
https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-100pc-...%2C184&sr=1-23

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 19 Old 05-07-2019, 02:36 PM
where's my table saw?

Same problem as OP .....

Quote:
The lower left guide on my Grizzly 513X2BF is also difficult due to location. Takes a 5mm but a regular Allen wrench is too long both in length and arm.

A hacksaw fixed that
. The length is now 4.5 inches and the arm is 3/4 inch. Works great.
Quote:
Quote:

If the ball is on the long arm, it won't fit.

The saw brand doesn't matter, the answer is what works best or at all. Why so critical Frank? You are really gettin' cranky lately. You pick on me all the time now, and it's not the least bit appreciated or helpful. Let the OP decide if a solution is not to his liking....sheesh.

The 14" cast iron frame bandsaws Delta, Grizzly and others are virtual clones and close to identical in many ways .... just sayin'

There are several ways to solve this problem ......
Stevedore and sgcz75b like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Beware of purists

Quote:

Love this place, somebody asks for a chocolate cake recipe and somebody else comes along and says that is not how to make an apple pie.

My reply was in regard to the Delta that he wanted a key that would work on an angle, why are we concerned about your Grizzly that you already have a solution for?

Didn't realize that you were being anal about who you were replying to.

Thanks anyway. Enjoy your pie/cake.

post #11 of 19 Old 05-07-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If the ball is on the long arm, it won't fit.

The saw brand doesn't matter, the answer is what works best or at all. Why so critical Frank? You are really gettin' cranky lately. You pick on me all the time now, and it's not the least bit appreciated or helpful. Let the OP decide if a solution is not to his liking....sheesh.

The 14" cast iron frame bandsaws Delta, Grizzly and others are virtual clones and close to identical in many ways .... just sayin'

There are several ways to solve this problem ......
Really dislike having to explain myself to those that have nothing to do with the original post, my reply was in regards to "If I could insert it at an angle, I think my problem would be solved. ", I suggested a solution for a type of Allen key that could be used at an angle, case closed until you inserted yourself.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #12 of 19 Old 05-07-2019, 07:03 PM
where's my table saw?

Taking some of Alex Snodgrass's advice .....

I own a Wilton dual speed wood/metal cutting bandsaw, with a cast iron frame. I removed the table which is the recommended way to adjust the guides. Super easy to do and that exposes to 2 allen screws for the side adjustment. A "standard" size allen key easily fits into the screws, small/short end in for the greatest leverage on the long end.
A good time to scrape the metal particles imbedded in the wheels and for general cleaning. After adjusting it was time to replace the table..... not super easy at all, but with some weight on the left side and some poking of the trunnion bolts into their respective holes, I got it back on. No need for any special allen wrenches or any other tools.

I won't assume that the Wilton has the same blade guide arragement as other cast iron saws, so your mileage may vary...??

My apologies for any previous "distractions".

post #13 of 19 Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

View jg2259's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try the hacksaw and a wrench. If that doesn’t work, I will buy a rounded Allen wrench.
Thanks again.

post #14 of 19 Old 05-08-2019, 11:39 AM
where's my table saw?

Remove the table first .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg2259 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try the hacksaw and a wrench. If that doesn’t work, I will buy a rounded Allen wrench.
Thanks again.

Here's the Alex Snodgrass Video I referred to above which recommends removing the table for a complete blade guide adjustment:

post #15 of 19 Old 05-10-2019, 06:18 AM

View lockit3's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to lockit3 Send a message via Skype™ to lockit3
guide block help

Best advice is remove the bandsaw table for all adjustments. depending on the design of your bandsaw either 2 or 4 screws gets it off the saw and then every adjustment is open and accessible. As long as you already have the stop screw for the table properly adjusted, when you put the table back on it will be level. Even if you don't that is a quick adjustment. Takes a lot less time than struggling with trying to get to a screw under the table in a tight place.
woodnthings likes this.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-10-2019, 07:24 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
Get a Laguna.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Beware of purists

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdraftn View Post
Get a Laguna.

I might be wrong but I don't think a Laguna will fit the hex screw under the OP's bandsaw table.
woodnthings and Mycrossover like this.

post #18 of 19 Old 05-12-2019, 01:46 PM

View Bob Vaughan's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockit3 View Post
Best advice is remove the bandsaw table for all adjustments.
Or tilt the table to 45º
post #19 of 19 Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
On my old 1946 Delta 14" (forget the model #), I adjust the lower guide blocks by lifting out the round table insert (don't know what it's called). On mine, a standard 5/32" hex key does the job, usually after I use a piece of wire to clear out any sawdust in the screw socket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	375319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1891.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	375321  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode