Bandsaw blade adjust - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By svlsmokey
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083

post #1 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

View svlsmokey's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw blade adjust

I have a 14 inch Powermatic bandsaw. I recently changed the tires and installed a new blade. Trying to flutter test the blade per the manufacturer's instructions, but I cannot get the blade to track in the center of the lower wheel. It tracks to the back of the wheel and contacts the lower thrust bearing, even though the lower guides and thrust bearing are pushed as far back as they will go.

I adjusted the wheels so they are coplanar and the blade tracks to the back of both Wheels. I can adjust the top wheel so that it tracks in the center. The only way I can get the blade to track in the center of the bottom wheel is to push it forward with the thrust bearing. But I suspect that was the cause of My Last Blade breaking so quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15461951621261665909913_1546195192813.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	369903  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 01:58 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Have you watched this video, he explains things very well:

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #3 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 02:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You got the wrong wheel!

You want the blade to track with the "gullets" on the center of the UPPER wheel. The lower wheel is just along for the "drive". See if that will work better for you.
Jim Frye likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I know the top wheel is what matters. The bottom wheel became an issue because the blade is tracking so far back that it's running into the bracket for the lower guides and thrust bearing...

I'll take a look at the video.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 06:18 PM

Is what I have circled the face of the wheel or a shadow?
Attached Images

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #6 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 06:24 PM
where's my table saw?

Neither ....

It appears to be a brush that cleans the tire from saw dust, but I'm too far away to tell for sure .... Forget about the lower wheel, just track the gullets on the center of the upper wheel and you'll be fine.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
It appears to be a brush that cleans the tire from saw dust, but I'm too far away to tell for sure .... Forget about the lower wheel, just track the gullets on the center of the upper wheel and you'll be fine.
??????????????????????????????

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #8 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 08:43 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Don't worry about your wheels being coplaned. That kinda looks like a new saw. If it is why put new tires on it? I have watched that video several times and I know it's long but you will be ahead of the game if you watch it all even if you watch it a little at a time. You have a really nice saw, so take care of it and it will take care of you.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

That is a shadow. The tire is centered on the wheel. The other comment about a brush is actually the clip which holds the lower door closed.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

I don't know how old the saw is. It's in good shape but the rubber tires were a little cracked and dry.
hawkeye10 likes this.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

I watched the video. That's a lot of good information - thank you for that tip. My next step will be to remove the table and the mounts for the lower guides. Then I will be able to see how far back the blade wants to track on the lower wheel. In the first picture I posted, you can see the blade is tracking far enough to the inside of the wheels that it came around the side of the thrust bearing, almost to the bolt.

Last edited by svlsmokey; 12-31-2018 at 01:17 AM.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 01:55 AM
where's my table saw?

Did you remove the lower wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlsmokey View Post
I watched the video. That's a lot of good information - thank you for that tip. My next step will be to remove the table and the mounts for the lower guides. Then I will be able to see how far back the blade wants to track on the lower wheel. In the first picture I posted, you can see the blade is tracking far enough to the inside of the wheels that it came around the side of the thrust bearing, almost to the bolt.

When you put the new tires on, did you remove the lower wheel. Make certain it's back in the factory installed location if it was removed.

Otherwise, the lower guides are not where they need to be. Removing the table and backing away ALL the guides is the proper way t approach this now.

post #13 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Band Saw Blade Adjust

With the table and all guides completely removed, the blade tracks off of the back of the lower wheel and binds against the frame regardless of the upper wheel's adjustment. The only way it will stay on the lower wheel is if I hold it there with my hand as I rotate the blade.

Could this be an issue with this blade or this brand of blade (Timber Wolf 1/2" x 105" 4 TPI .025")? Tires? I reversed the tire on the lower wheel and it made no difference.

Yes, when the new tires were put on I removed the wheels. They were reinstalled per the owner's manual.

When I changed the first blade the adjusting handle/bolt and square nut stripped out so I had to replace them. I got the parts direct from Powermatic and installed them per the owner's manual.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 08:35 AM
where's my table saw?

Since the table is off ...

Take a 6 ft straight edge and hold it against the lower wheel edges.
There should only be a slight gap on the upper wheels edges. If it's a lot more, then one of the wheels is not installed properly. I don't know if the owner's manual will give you the proper gap allowed? You may have to call technical service or search online for the answer. That's about all it could be. You don't have "before" dimensions or photos to use as a reference, so we don't know what it was before you removed the wheels.

The wheels should NOT be co-planer according to the Alex Snodgrass video. He also says "don't mess with them" they are factory set.

The Grizzly video says otherwise, at 3:50 in:

It could be the blade.

Lay the blade down on a known flat surface, like a marble counter top with no seams. If it will lay perfectly flat with no gaps underneath, then it's OK. It may be welded cockeyed... who knows, wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-31-2018 at 08:44 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 09:16 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Timber Wolf blades are very good blades but if anything is wrong with the blade they will take care of it. I ordered the wrong blade and called them to order the right blade. They sent me the right blade free and told me to keep the other blade. Now that is going overboard on customer service.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-01-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what I did but I was able to get the blade to stay on long enough to make adjustments to the top wheel. I was able to get it to the center of the top wheel, but trying to move it back to the position Snodgrass recommends, it would run off the back of the wheels. I also found that once adjusted, if I lowered the tension lever down and then raised it back up, the blade would forget itself and run off the back of the wheels. Anyway, its on and I was able to adjust the guides and make some cuts.

Thanks all for your assistance. Happy new year.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 AM

View Pookinopolis's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 14 inch Porter Cable that I purchased second hand and it's in desperate need of TLC. I was dreading it but the videos and tips everyone posted has boosted my confidence. svlsmokey, glad you got your saw adjusted!
post #18 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Hi

With the blade and the pulley belt off is there any play in the lower wheel bearings or upper wheel bearings?

Last edited by ajdragon; 01-08-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 12:32 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
You might try turning the blade inside out, then re install with the blade upside down...then check if the blade tracks in the opposite direction. If so the blade was stretched to a cone shape...probably from running past the tires and onto the rim of the wheels. If so...time for a new blade.
woodnthings likes this.

Gary
post #20 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 12:52 PM
where's my table saw?

It's better to actually know ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlsmokey View Post
I don't know what I did but I was able to get the blade to stay on long enough to make adjustments to the top wheel. I was able to get it to the center of the top wheel, but trying to move it back to the position Snodgrass recommends, it would run off the back of the wheels. I also found that once adjusted, if I lowered the tension lever down and then raised it back up, the blade would forget itself and run off the back of the wheels. Anyway, its on and I was able to adjust the guides and make some cuts.

Thanks all for your assistance. Happy new year.

@svlsmokey

Rather than "stumbling" into success, it's better to get there with a knowledge of what you did or didn't do, obviously.
There was a good suggestion above to see there is any play in either of the wheels on their bearings which would cause irregularities in tracking. Play would be laterally or up and down or in and out. Can you twist the wheels with the blade off? The entire tracking assembly may be loose? The blade may have taken a set or is welded improperly? A new blade would resolve that issue.

You deserve more than a few cuts on this saw, and we should hang in there until we know what the problem is/was?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode