Bandsaw advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

View preacherman's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw advice ***updated***

I have been looking for a decent used bandsaw and found this today
http://www.golsn.com/listings/equipm...s/3084310.html
This appears to be nearly new and was told it has seen very little work. The only thing I am cautious about is the "nonstandard" blade length. I am just a weekend hobbist and not really into doing much resawing or anything serious I just need a small bandsaw for projects now and then. This appears to be a good deal?
I am supposed to go look at it this afternoon any advise is appericated.

Last edited by preacherman; 10-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 01:16 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
i don't know that much about band saws but i found 3 places to get the blades in about 2 min

http://www.toolcenter.com/089_5_Band_saw_Blades.html

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top?ie=UTF8&index=blended&keywords=89%201%2F2%20bandsaw%20blades&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002FYLNUK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RFZW9J9P1J67ZEHQWMK

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-89-1-...p-00929868000P

i see you are from crossville, i have family there and in jamestown also

there are numerous band saws avaiable on craigslist around knoxville also

Last edited by DannyT; 10-26-2012 at 01:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
preacherman (10-26-2012)
post #3 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
You can order any length of blade from places like Timberwolf http://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php
They will weld one up to fit anything. Looking on the Woodcraft site it seems they will do a custom order too.
Don't just buy one when you order though, get multiples so you won't get shut down for a wait if the blade breaks or dulls.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Beasley For This Useful Post:
preacherman (10-26-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
also

there are numerous band saws avaiable on craigslist around knoxville also
I have been watching c-list but have not found what I think is a good deal by the time drive there and back and everything. Since this is less than ten minutes away that is a big plus.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
As a point of reference, a guy was selling one pretty much exactly like that here local to me for $250. I ended up passing on it as it's a 12", I am looking for a 14" at this point.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table | Grizzly G1023RL
post #6 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 05:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Craftsman 14" with 1 HP motor

It basically the same saw just a bit larger in table size and height, throat depth wheels... the guides will be similar so, unless you want to do serious resawing it will be a general purpose bandsaw. I'd stick with a 3/8" blade and it will do fine.
The price is"reasonable" but as with all CL's make a lower offer.

I have resawn 4" oak on the 14" and it walked right through with a 3 TPI 1/2 wide blade. so if that's any indication....I donno?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
preacherman (10-26-2012)
post #7 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I am heading to look at it right now. I'll let you know what happens.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

When I got out there to look at it the place was a government run adult handicap facilty. They had bought some equpiment a few years ago to build bird houses with one winter and never used this stuff since. They also had a sander sitting right beside the saw that was also for sell.Also a Craftsman 6x48 belt and 9" disc and 1.5hp. After a little negotiating I got the 12 inch bandsaw and a sander for $270. If I decide I do not need the sander I might sell it to recover a little money. But I think I made out ok.
Name:  bandsaw.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  sander.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  75.8 KB

Last edited by preacherman; 10-26-2012 at 09:04 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM

View Fastback's Photo Album My Photos
I think you got a great deal. I would not be too quick to sell the sander. I have one that I use all of the time. When I make wheels on the band saw I use the sander to do the finishing. I made a jig to holds the wheel so I can turn it to a perfect circle. I used this setup when I made my band saw wheels.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I need advice on blades.

The saw has a 3/8 6tpi on it currently, but it is crap I think stock sears blade. I am thinking ordering a couple more what should it get? This is my first bandsaw so I am uncertain what to get. I only plan on general bandsaw work; small items less than 3/4 thick (not scroll work, I have a scroll saw for that) and maybe cutting a bowl blank every once in a while. Possibly occassionally a little resawing but nothing major because this is only a 3/4hp saw. I am looking at Lenox blades, http://www.toolcenter.com/089_5_Band_saw_Blades.html they seem to be afforadable and decent quality but I am open to suggestions. Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited by preacherman; 10-31-2012 at 04:01 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I'm in the same situation as you. Just recently got a bandsaw, it's a small one, but I was advised to go with a timber wolf. I don't know others, I'm a newbie in this.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominick For This Useful Post:
preacherman (10-31-2012)
post #12 of 17 Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
i always avoid timberwolf blades like the plague, especially the ones from suffolk machinery. 4 new defectively welded blades in different sizes had me chasing a phantom problem on an 18" jet for 2 months. get lennox blades form iturra design. no web site and seriously old school but he can really weld a BS blade. no web site but they can be reached here:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

BTW, that is a nice little BS. looks a lot like a 12" version of the c-man 22401 (an excellent 14" BS), which is a look alike to the rikon 10-305 but with better features. you'll be quite happy with it as long as it's equipped with a good blade. and it's a dual speed saw. fast for woodworking and slow for non-ferrous metal work.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Last edited by toolguy1000; 10-31-2012 at 07:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to toolguy1000 For This Useful Post:
preacherman (10-31-2012)
post #13 of 17 Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Toolguy,
Sorry to hear you had problems with the TW blades. I have been using them on my 14" jet for 4-5 years now with no problems. I got mine from PS Wood Machines. I know Lennox makes good quality blades for everything, but I guess I'm just curious why your TW's broke.
Mike Hawkins
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
preacherman (10-31-2012)
post #14 of 17 Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Toolguy, you are not the first one I have heard about having problems with timberwolf blades.That is why I was asking the question here. Thanks for that link I will check that out. Another advantage of the Lenox blades is a couple dollars cheaper per blade and I am all about cheap!
post #15 of 17 Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Toolguy,
Sorry to hear you had problems with the TW blades. I have been using them on my 14" jet for 4-5 years now with no problems. I got mine from PS Wood Machines. I know Lennox makes good quality blades for everything, but I guess I'm just curious why your TW's broke.
Mike Hawkins
i didn't say the TW blades broke. i said the welds were misaligned causing a blade "loping" condition where the blade oscillates forward and backward relative to the operator, increasing saw vibration and potentially damaging the thrust bearings. this is what it looks like on an 18" jet BS i had:

and here is the same saw, it's wheel alignment butchered by an authorized jet dealer with a complete repair shop, but with a 1/2" lennox blade form iturra design (please disregard the resaw portion of the video. it was done to give iturra some info on what else the saw needed):

and here is the same saw with the iturra blade showing the complete absence of blade loping:

the astute observer will notice that the last video shows new urethane tires. i ran the TW blades with those same urethane tires and the blade loping remained a problem. the new urethane tires neither helped nor aggravated the blade loping. a properly welded BS blade from iturra literally transformed that saw from an absolute POS to a usable average 18" BS. that new blade and three other new TW blades all exhibited the same loping problem. and that's why i'll never use TW blades again.

post #16 of 17 Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
Toolguy, you are not the first one I have heard about having problems with timberwolf blades.That is why I was asking the question here. Thanks for that link I will check that out. Another advantage of the Lenox blades is a couple dollars cheaper per blade and I am all about cheap!
i don't think you'll find iturra cheaper than say suffolk machinery, who sells TW blades. but a blade frrm iturra will be welded properly. and there isn't a better source of information in the US for 14" BSs, especially deltas and jets , than lou iturra. he's a very good person to know.

The Following User Says Thank You to toolguy1000 For This Useful Post:
preacherman (11-01-2012)
post #17 of 17 Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
The saw has a 3/8 6tpi on it currently, but it is crap I think stock sears blade. I am thinking ordering a couple more what should it get? This is my first bandsaw so I am uncertain what to get. I only plan on general bandsaw work; small items less than 3/4 thick (not scroll work, I have a scroll saw for that) and maybe cutting a bowl blank every once in a while. Possibly occassionally a little resawing but nothing major because this is only a 3/4hp saw. I am looking at Lenox blades, http://www.toolcenter.com/089_5_Band_saw_Blades.html they seem to be afforadable and decent quality but I am open to suggestions. Any help will be appreciated!
I only use these from supersaw cut, you can call them and they will advise which blade will work for you, These blades stay sharp , i do lot's of resawing ect, i used to use wood slicer blades but they didn't say sharp like the supersaw cut blades, You may want to watch this video on tuning up the band saw the link for that
the link http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to del schisler For This Useful Post:
preacherman (11-01-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode