Bandsaw 14” question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 30 Old 06-11-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

View dws780's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw 14” question

Common 14” Bandsaw made from the same factory?

Delta/Grizzly/Jet/Rikon/Ridgid/Porter Cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 PM

View RustyB's Photo Album My Photos
Don't know about the rest but Grizzly buys their tools from the lowest bidder. So their saws change all the time. I have a couple band saws. A Craftsman 14" and a Grizzly 12" inch. The Grizzly is variable speed. Sadly, they no longer sell it.

Last edited by RustyB; 06-11-2018 at 08:58 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-11-2018, 09:22 PM

View jxdubbs's Photo Album My Photos
I have a GRIZZLY G055LX they have there stuff made in Taiwan. Jets are high end. I'm not sure about the rest.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 06-11-2018, 10:17 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I have heard Jet and Grizzly are made in the same factory. I bet there aren't very many factories that make bandsaws. If I was going to buy another bandsaw I would buy a Laguna bandsaw. At one time I had a 14" Laguna but now I have a 14" Grizzly. There is a great difference in the saws.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Laguna saw is out of my budget. I’m looking for something less then $600 and considering used as well.

Anyone know if porter cable pcb330bs is any good? $449 at lowes seems very good price with great power (1.5hp)

post #6 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 07:17 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
I was in the market for a bs a long time. decided the best bang for the buck is used, especially the older machinery. some people like new, but new equipment today lacks the heavy cast iron structure that helps the saw run smooth. consider used, then rebuild/tune up/accessorize and you will have a much better saw and for probably less money. jmho
post #7 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
It's hard to go wrong with an old Delta 14 inch bandsaw.
Mine is a 1951, 1 hp, with riser, with a Jet fence.
If selling, I would expect to ask and get $300 -. $350 for it.
Great saw.
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

I actually saw a used porter cable 14” for $260
Some people say it’s like a delta clone?

post #9 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 10:59 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
There is a company in China called Harvey Woodworking that makes machines for over 100 importers they claim, I have seen pics of the factory and every big name is shown in the pics even Powermatic, Jet and Grizzly

But they may be made to the importers standards which my vary. I have bought quite a bit of Grizzly and have never been disappointed, they replaced older American made machines (Delta, Rockwell/Delta, and Powermatic) and they have worked as well or better then the American made machines, just bigger capacity
jxdubbs likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #10 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 11:25 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
It's hard to go wrong with an old Delta 14 inch bandsaw.
Mine is a 1951, 1 hp, with riser, with a Jet fence.
If selling, I would expect to ask and get $300 -. $350 for it.
Great saw.
I got the vastly improved 1953 model. ;-)

I found a 1953 Delta 890 bandsaw last Fall. It came with the 6 inch riser, blades (some of which were new), a metal rolling stand (Delta original?), a good miter gauge, and many other accessories. It was in well-maintained, ready-to-run condition. I paid $250 for it.

Afterwards, I bought the Kreg bandsaw fence and resaw guides. They have worked out well for me, although I am still trying to improve my resawing skills.

As Pirate puts it, "Great saw."
post #11 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 12:52 PM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
I've been very happy with my G0555p. The one feature that I don't recall seeing on other similar 14" saws is the tension release lever on the back. I do like that option.
Catpower and jxdubbs like this.
post #12 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I got the vastly improved 1953 model. ;-)

I found a 1953 Delta 890 bandsaw last Fall. It came with the 6 inch riser, blades (some of which were new), a metal rolling stand (Delta original?), a good miter gauge, and many other accessories. It was in well-maintained, ready-to-run condition. I paid $250 for it.

Afterwards, I bought the Kreg bandsaw fence and resaw guides. They have worked out well for me, although I am still trying to improve my resawing skills.

As Pirate puts it, "Great saw."
in my opinion - the deal of a life time! nice score.
post #13 of 30 Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance Man View Post
I've been very happy with my G0555p. The one feature that I don't recall seeing on other similar 14" saws is the tension release lever on the back. I do like that option.
my tension rod had stripped threads - I replaced with the big horn crank. with some lube on the threads - it is effortless and literally takes seconds to tension/de-tension. highly recommend. I was contemplating the carter release lever, but this is almost as fast and fraction $
post #14 of 30 Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Are benchtop one useless? 10” ones?
I have a small shop. I’m trying to do all the homework I can before buying the right bandsaw for my shop :)

post #15 of 30 Old 06-14-2018, 05:45 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I've been using a benchtop Ryobi (maybe 9" throat, 1/4" blades) for a decade.
I set it up with a feeler gauge according to the book. Keep feeding it new blades.
Shove the ShopVac hose into the exhaust port (dusty and noisy little beggar.)

$100.00 and 10 years of service for all sorts of work like roughing out wood carvings.
I've got no floor space for anything bigger.

Honestly, for the kinds of tasks that I have, the little Ryobi was the right size and the right time.
Over the decade, I'll guess that there have been no more than 5 times when I wish it was a 14" with some guts.
Kerrys likes this.
post #16 of 30 Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM

View RustyB's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws780 View Post
Are benchtop one useless? 10” ones?
I have a small shop. I’m trying to do all the homework I can before buying the right bandsaw for my shop :)

I have a 12" Grizzly variable speed benchtop that I user for almost everything. My 14" Craftsman is only used for thicker wood.
post #17 of 30 Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 10" Craftsman bench top

I would consider it a "hobby or crafts" type of machine although I put it to a real test cutting firewood splits down to length. It cut everything I asked of it and for a 1/3 HP motor, I was impressed. I paid about $175.00 or so, about 10 years ago. It would be similar to the Rikon 10".

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/c...-tested-61133/

Should you wait for a 14", yes, if you will do more serious woodworking. I also have 2 Craftsman 14" Professional models. I keep different blades in each one, so I don't have to change them to suit the operation. I am also impressed with these machines being a good value for the price. The 1 HP motor is enough power, the large table is great for work support, the guides are decent, the fence is good and the vacuum port work fairly well.

Here's some reviews of the 14" bandsaws:
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/14-band-saw-reviews/

http://www.thesawguy.com/best-band-saw/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-14-2018 at 07:30 PM.
post #18 of 30 Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I just don’t want to regret on getting a 10” and later find out I wish I could of bought the 14” to begin with.

post #19 of 30 Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
So, you answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws780 View Post
I just don’t want to regret on getting a 10” and later find out I wish I could of bought the 14” to begin with.

In this case as in many others "bigger is better". More horse power, more capacity, larger wheels whicj means thicker, stronger blades, better guides ... in about the same foot print. Many older Delta 14" are great machines, so consider used.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #20 of 30 Old 06-15-2018, 02:57 PM

View Larry42's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a 1970s 14" Rockwell Delta that I bought new to make wooden toys with. It is a hobby level machine. It came with 1/2hp but that failed soon. Now has 1hp. Both of the original pulleys failed, I replaced them with cast iron. The motor mounting failed, replace with thicker steel. The blade guides are steel rub blocks, less than ideal. The mounting for the guides is cast zinc, has failed twice. This saw will take a 3/4" blade for resawing but the frame isn't stiff enough for serious work. The riser block (I don't have) would be hopeless for any thing other than very slow light feeding.
I bought a used Mini-Max 17" with a welded steel frame for $400. A much better saw, no flex even resawing 12". I think it was made by Samco in Italy.
Since a lot of people seem to be happy with what ever they have, I'm guessing they are very light users of their saws.
We no longer use a vertical bandsaw for any production work. We do use a small Baker horizontal for resawing. Great machine, 20hp, hydraulic feed.
I think you will be hard pressed to find any new 14" bandsaw that isn't made in China. If you consider a Chinese tool as a kit, that can be made into something that works, they are probably a good value. I bought a 1440 Chinese lathe a couple of years ago, as a hobby machine. It works, but certainly isn't something I'd buy for a business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode