Band Saw Rip Fence - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 09-26-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

View William H's Photo Album My Photos
Band Saw Rip Fence

I have a used Delta 14" band saw model 28-276. Can anyone recommend a rip fence? I have been looking at the Kreg band saw rip fence, but I noticed it only has a front rail. Wouldn't a rip fence with a front and rear rail be more stable? Should I look at another brand?
Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-26-2020, 07:48 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H View Post
I have a used Delta 14" band saw model 28-276. Can anyone recommend a rip fence? I have been looking at the Kreg band saw rip fence, but I noticed it only has a front rail. Wouldn't a rip fence with a front and rear rail be more stable? Should I look at another brand? Thanks, Bill
I have an old Delta 14 inch bandsaw with a riser block installed. It is a Delta 890, aka 28-207.

I bought the Kreg Precision Band Saw fence for it. I also bought the two different Kreg curved resaw guides and their micro-adjuster for the fence.

I am very pleased with the fence. When clamped, it feels solid. I never felt a need for a rail on the other side of the fence. I wonder whether a back rail might impede the people who need to make adjustments for bandsaw blade drift. There are many current model bandsaws that come with a fence, and few have back rails, if any.

My saw has very little drift, so I don't use the curved resaw guides. I just hold the board against the flat face of the fence and resaw it.

I like the feature where you can position the fence in "tall" mode or "low" mode. It lets me bring the blade guard closer to the wood for many cuts. The t-tracks are helpful for stop blocks and clamps.

At first I didn't like the micro-adjuster. I have grown to like it a lot, and use it often. The one thing I don't like about it is that the adjustment wheel is not as easy to rotate as it should be. It is tight turning for those of us with fat thumbs, and too close to the rail. I would definitely buy it anyway - the fine tuning makes it worthwhile.

Overall: The Kreg Precision Bandsaw Fence just works for me. Highly recommended!

I hope this helps.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-26-2020, 07:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Front only rail is fine!

Quote:
I have a used Delta 14" band saw model 28-276. Can anyone recommend a rip fence? I have been looking at the Kreg band saw rip fence, but I noticed it only has a front rail. Wouldn't a rip fence with a front and rear rail be more stable? Should I look at another brand?
Thanks,
Bill

The Biesemeyer fence, the standard of table saw fences, uses only the front rail to secure it.... surely that's good enough? The 2 Craftsman 14" bandsaws I have only use a front fence. You just need one that locks securely and is slightly adjustable for drift. In fact, I don't know of a bandsaw fence that locks both on the front and rear..... but I don't leave the shop much.... since covid.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-26-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advise. I like the Kreg fence and Kreg usually has very good products. I never thought about the need to adjust the rip fence for drift. Watching YouTube and reading other posts, most say don't adjust the rip fence for drift because the miter gauge will still not be true. Instead, loosen the underside bolts and adjust the table and /or try a new blade with proper set for the teeth.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-26-2020, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advise. You're right, most table saw rip fences just lock in the front. The band saw rip fence has a much smaller distance to cover. The front rail only should be fine. I guess it will be the Kreg.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-26-2020, 09:43 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, that is the right way ......

Quote:
Thanks for your advise. I like the Kreg fence and Kreg usually has very good products. I never thought about the need to adjust the rip fence for drift. Watching YouTube and reading other posts, most say don't adjust the rip fence for drift because the miter gauge will still not be true. Instead, loosen the underside bolts and adjust the table and /or try a new blade with proper set for the teeth.

If you track and tension a sharp blade correctly, you don't need to correct for much drift at all, if any. Mine seem to run true and cut parallel to the fence for some reason ......

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 12 Old 09-26-2020, 10:03 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I've gotten my bandsaw to track with no drift. That makes resawing a lot easier. I followed the tips in this video from fine woodworking.

https://youtu.be/vNdrkmx6ehI
post #8 of 12 Old 09-27-2020, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the video.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-27-2020, 07:57 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If you track and tension a sharp blade correctly, you don't need to correct for much drift at all, if any. Mine seem to run true and cut parallel to the fence for some reason ......
Ditto,

Take care,
Dave McCann
post #10 of 12 Old 09-27-2020, 09:57 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Thanks for the video.
You're welcome. I liked the information in it
post #11 of 12 Old 10-07-2020, 02:59 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I put a Jet bandsaw fence on my Delta 14" and am very happy with it. It's a mini Biesemeyer design.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-08-2020, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I haven't bought the Kreg fence yet. I will check out the Jet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode