Anyone use Skils 1825 Router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 06-06-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

View 16ga's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone use Skils 1825 Router

I've got a ryobi router and table thats a piece of junk. (It won't even stay locked in place when you set it.) I'm thinking of upgrading to the Skil 1825. I just want to know the layout of the mounting holes in the base? See I'm wondering if i could use it in my ryobi table?

And yes. I know its not a high end tool but I've seen alot of good reviews on this one. And I'm still trying to save up on a decent jointer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Which Ryobi is it? Is it under warranty? If so send it in!!!

I have a R161 and it has been holding up and performing great!

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #3 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 AM

View weirdbeard's Photo Album My Photos
Thats a joke! I would consider Skill to Ryobi an upgrade. Both are toys. Search Ebay for a nice Makita, frued or Fein. You can find a router that will last a lifetime for under $100. Buy it once and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 04:13 AM

View Davet's Photo Album My Photos
More like a lateral move...

A $90 dollar router to another $90 dollar router.

$180 worth of low end routers.

Could buy a Freud 1700veck or a nice Milwaukee for that
kind of money.

IMO, A router is worth putting a little more money into.

If it twer me I would get a 1700 to put in the table and keep
the Ryobi for out of table.

Last edited by Davet; 06-07-2008 at 04:31 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

dbhost off the top of my head I donít know the number. It came with the table and I got it as a gift.(really never did like it much.) The things 5 years old so the warranteeís no longer good.

With my router about shot I was thinking of using the Skil until I could get a better table router and then transfer the skil to out of the table work. (I really donít do much of that.)

Can you guys recommend something better?
I need one that can work in and out of a table and use 1/2 shank bits. Preferably one that doesnít cost too much because Iím still trying to save up for a jointer.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Thumb Nailer

This might sound funny, but have you ever taken the router out of the table to clean the sawdust out of it?

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #7 of 14 Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Yep routers clean.
The locking mechanism in its just shot.

I can still use it my turning it all the way out and adgesting the bit by how deep in the collet it is but thats a bit of a pain.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM

View MrRodeoCC's Photo Album My Photos
I bought this after wearing out 2 craftsman routers, having them side by side in the store and putting my hands on them, comparing features etc, I chose the Bosch over Porter Cable, so far I haven't had any problems and it far exceeds any other router I've used. Also it came with the optional edge guide attachment for a tad less than the PC. It just made the raised panels for the bar I built. 1/4 and 1/2 " collets and a decent case included. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...SPK&lpage=none
post #9 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 02:22 AM

View Norman Pyles's Photo Album My Photos
If that's the Skill they sell at Lowes, the red one, then no. I had one of these, and it would not stay locked either. The plunge locked crooked too. Get yourself a good router. Go to Pat Warners site and you will find a lot of good info on routers.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM

View Richard's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a place you can get a recon Hitachi tools for less money.

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Routers___c362.aspx
post #11 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Richard thanks for the link. Once I get a chance Iíll take a better look at some of those.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Edit.

opps.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Thumb Nailer

Mind you, it doesn't matter if the router is Bosch, Hitachi, Ryobi, B&D, etc... Mechanical pieces wear out with use. Plain and simple. I am guessing that since you wore out the locking mechanism that you used this router a LOT... You need to ask yourself if the time and usage you got out of the tool was worth the $$ you spent on it. And have you considered seeing if you can get the Ryobi fixed? I am not sure it is worth it. But if it is a tool you like it might be...

Be careful when picking a replacement router though. I had to have a custom adapter made for my B&D Firestorm plunge router to be able to fit standard guide bushings to it. (Thank God my brother in law has hook ups with machinists!).

Don't buy junk by any means, but also, don't spend more than you have to just to make the brand name snobs happy either. It's your money. If you can chose between 2 tools, that do the same job, just as well as each other, but one costs twice as much because it has a name brand folks drool over, do you want drool on your tools, or do you want the money to afford materials to use those tools on?

post #14 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

dbhost I used it a good bit over the last few years.
But considering it only holds 1/4 shank bits I want a new one.
And donít worry I never cared much about brand names.

I checked out the link and looked at the Freud FT1702VCEK and Hitachi KM12VC.
The Freud looked nice but after looking around I found some bad reviews on it. Looks like the Hitachi might be better?
You guys have any opinion?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode