Any Rockwell Invicta 22-650 planer owners? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 33 Old 09-12-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Any Rockwell Invicta 22-650 planer owners?

Just picked up a Rockwell Invicta 22-650 planer at a yard sale.
Got a few questions, I can't find answers for in manuals online.
It doesn't have the big lever to engage feed rollers, like simiiar Delta planers.
It has a part called a clutch shaft, that comes out of the gear box near the bottom. Mine is stuck, and the handle is missing. Does this engage te feed rollers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-12-2015, 08:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a vendor that has scanned the manual on a disc for sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-13-Pla...item20b89a88c4

If it has a missing lever you will probably have to fabricate one.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-12-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Here is a vendor that has scanned the manual on a disc for sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-13-Pla...item20b89a88c4

If it has a missing lever you will probably have to fabricate one.
Problem is, that manual is for a similar planer, but not the Invicta 22-650
Mine doesn't have the big lever. The lever isn't missing. It wasn't made with one. On that planer the big lever engages/disengages the feed rollers.
There is a small knob (t handle) near the bottom of the gear case, on mine, which as far as I can tell from the parts diagram on Delta's web site, might engage/disengage the rollers. Just not sure.

Last edited by Pirate; 09-12-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 09-12-2015, 11:37 PM

I don't know. I've never used a planer that had such a lever. I have a 22-560 planer and the feed rollers turn if the motor does. I do have a 24" planer that has two separate motors for the head and feed which you can turn on separately. I think if you would open the cabinet on up yours where you could see how the feed rollers are driven you could see if there is a mechanism to disengage them. You probably should open it up anyway. The feed rollers are normally chain driven so I'm sure it could use some maintenance. It probably needs some cleaning and the chain oiled. The Rockwell planer I have there is a square block which holds the bearings of the feed rollers. The square block has a spring that puts down pressure on the rollers. On mine the square blocks are in a tract that is under such tight tolerances the least little dirt gets in there and holds the blocks up so the feed rollers end up slipping.
post #5 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Here is a parts diagram showing the knob #219, and shaft # 216, that looks like it moves gear # 210 on it's shaft, to engage/disengage gear # 207. Looks like the shafe that gear # 210 is on, has a detent in it.
Attached Images

post #6 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 04:28 PM

It's difficult to make out. It doesn't appear from the illustration the parts 216 thru 219 have anything to do with 202 thru 215 which I think is the chain drive.
post #7 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's difficult to make out. It doesn't appear from the illustration the parts 216 thru 219 have anything to do with 202 thru 215 which I think is the chain drive.
The parts 205 thru 215 and 216 thru 216 are all inside the gear case. Knob 219 is outside.
If you look at the very top of diagram, you will see the drive sprocket, that chain drives the feed rollers.

Here is a link to the diagram I copied the gear box part from. Not that easy to understand. At least for me.

I'm now trying to remove the bed rollers. set screws are out, but eccentric stub shafts don't want to come out. They turn freely and move back and forth with the roller, but that's it.

http://www.mikestools.com/download/D...Planer-P2A.pdf
post #8 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 05:36 PM

I can't understand the diagram either. I seriously doubt if that knob engages and disengages the feed rollers. The only real purpose for that would be is if you started planing a board and something went wrong you could pull a lever or something and stop it from feeding. That would be too cumbersome for that purpose. I think the knob likely is to lock the head in place so you can change the knives.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

To me it looks like the notch in shaft #216, would ride over gear # 210, which rides on shaft # 213, which looks to have a detent.
If gear #210 is slid so it doesn't engage gear # 207, the cutterhead and feed rollers would be disengaged. Maybe to be able to turn them by hand to change knives.

I agree that having to pull the small knob# 219, would be cumbersome, if stopping feed is needed. Which is something you want to be able to do fast. My Boice-Crane planer has a big D handle for that.

The table roller pins #231 just spin and don't want to come out. The set screws #230 are out. The end of the roller pins are slotted to adjust with a screw driver. (They are eccentric to raise rollers)
In the center of the slot, is a threaded 10-32 +/- hole. I can screw a machine screw in about 1/2" and it stops.
Thinking of using a slide hammer on the screw. The roller pin # 231, just goes into the bearing inside the table roller.

Darn aggravating. Don't want to muck it up.
post #10 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 07:53 PM

I still think you need to open up the planer and tinker with the feed mechanism to see how it works.

If the pin #230 doesn't need lubrication or maintenance why do you want to remove the table rollers?
post #11 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I want to remove the table rollers, because they are fairly rusty, and want to clean them up. Possibly machine them down a hair.
post #12 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 PM

Keep in mind those rollers are a precise size to prevent friction with the table. If you machine them down they may be useless.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-13-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Keep in mind those rollers are a precise size to prevent friction with the table. If you machine them down they may be useless.
The roller height is adjustable. As long as I can get them .015 above the table, I will be ok. .010 might even work. It's only needed that high for planing rough stock.

Unlike Delta's excuse for a manual, I have a manual for my Boice-Crane planer that goes thru table roller height, infeed and outfeed roller height and pressure, chip breaker adjustment, pressure bar adjustments, and cut depths.
They apply to all planers that have the adjustments. Adjusted right, the Boice-Crane planer gives nice, snipe free cuts, without table locks, or infeed or outfeed tables.
Fingers crossed on how the Rockwell performs.
post #14 of 33 Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Got the table roller pins out. Screwed a machine screw in pin. and used a slide hammer to pull them out.
post #15 of 33 Old 10-14-2015, 04:53 PM

View sgt_carbonero's Photo Album My Photos
Hi All,
New here and my first post. I happen to have a 22-650 planer but it has the clutch handle on the side.

The reason I am posting to this sub is I am having pretty bad snipe issues and someone was speaking about the table rollers--does anyone think I would be ok removing them and making sure the table is waxed well? I know other newer planers don't even have table rollers so I wonder what you all think?

thanks,

carb
post #16 of 33 Old 10-15-2015, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

I wouldn't remove the table rollers. Adjust them so they are above the table about .003. The specs are in the manual.
Wax the table of course.
Have you had the planer a while? If so, did it ever cut without snipe?
I would go thru the manual and check and adjust as needed.
Mine is cutting with no snipe. So, it's possible.
The only things I have done since getting it, was, Change gear box oil, cleaning and paint. Removed, table rollers and cleaned them. Installed a dust hood. Honed the knives in place.
Good luck with it. Ask more questions if needed.
Let us know the results.
post #17 of 33 Old 10-16-2015, 10:52 AM

thanks, I just did a little overhaul on it, I've had it a few years and just adjusted the rollers, I will check gaps. I never even knew it had gear box oil until I read about it here yesterday, but I had the blades professionally resharpened.

Does doing the butted up pieces one after the other trick work when feeding? Another trick I read was place the wood on a longer flat board underneath but I dont know if that works.

I will let you know what I find but I suspect the rollers are too high even though I used a feeler gauge to set them.
post #18 of 33 Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Have fun filling the gear oil ! They tried to hide the fill plug.
You should be able to get no snipe, without lifting board ends up, or using a longer board under it. (Desperation methods I used when I had a lunchbox planner)
Mine doesn't snipe, so yours shouldn't. Make sense?
You might try more pressure on feed rollers.
post #19 of 33 Old 10-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Well i readjusted the rollers waaay, waaay down to .003 and it cuts like a champ. I had the rollers probably up to about a quarters' width. I just thought they should be level and coplanar but of course that did the trick.

Soo, I didnt even know about the gear oil, i spotted what looks like the drain plug underneath. I will check out the instructions to see how much I need and how. Will I have to remove the cover? looks like a few shear pins would need to be pressed out.

carb
post #20 of 33 Old 10-17-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Great to hear you got it cutting good!
I didn't need to remove the cover to change gear oil. Just remove slotted plug on bottom to drain, and fill thru the slotted plug on side. I used a small piece of vinyl tubing, attached to a small funnel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode