Another Unisaw thread! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

View Chris86's Photo Album My Photos
Another Unisaw thread!

Seeing all the Unisaw threads this morning reminded me about something I wanted to ask you fine people.

My friend that I'm currently working for doing home repair/remodeling wants to get into the woodworking business with me. He's interested in it, and if we combine our tools and use a building he owns as our shop, we'll have a pretty decent start.

We were looking around his dads old barn a few weeks ago and we found an old Delta Rockwell Unisaw that's probably from the 1970's I would guess. It has no motor and no fence. It looks like the motor quit working and the previous owner tried making a motor mount to use a more standard type of motor, but gave up on it.

A new Unisaw motor is pretty expensive. My question is, would it even be possible to make a motor mount to allow the use of a different motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Certainly. Just measure the mounts from the new motor.

Harrison, at your service!
The Following User Says Thank You to H. A. S. For This Useful Post:
Chris86 (10-09-2011)
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgeboy77 For This Useful Post:
Chris86 (10-09-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 01:09 PM

View yocalif's Photo Album My Photos
I can't comment on the Unisaw, I would think if you have the welding skills you can make any kind of motor mount base you need, go through Grainger's they might have something you need.

I do want to comment on forming a partnership, if you don't mind. As a former salesman at the wholesale level for 20+ years, and later business manager of several contractor related businesses, I called on hundreds of HVAC, Plumbing, Gen Contractors, and other construction related businesses. I have seen many successful partnerships, and unfortunately I have seen more failures. Like all things it isn't how you start it is how you finish, many partnerships start out great, but often end not so well. Next to a marriage a partnership is the most collaborative-dependent and interdependent and often intense relationship you can have.

You both should read a couple of books on forming business partnership, which could give you both the questions and answers and agreement necessary to successfully move forward. Besides the trust, workload, compensation, and communication issues, liability and protecting yourself ( home, assets) is another important consideration.

Good luck, having a good friend that could be a great partner would be a wonderful thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to yocalif For This Useful Post:
Chris86 (10-09-2011)
post #5 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
No Longer Here

View johnray's Photo Album My Photos
motor

I didn't do it. I have one that was converted and it works fine. Just carefully cut the curved brackets off the old motor. The most important task would be to get the belt to line up. I would have a pro do the welding because of the heat, might damage the new motor. get a 220v switch at a supply house.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
There is no "old motor"..,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnray View Post
I didn't do it. I have one that was converted and it works fine. Just carefully cut the curved brackets off the old motor. The most important task would be to get the belt to line up. I would have a pro do the welding because of the heat, might damage the new motor. get a 220v switch at a supply house.
Quote from OP said:
We were looking around his dads old barn a few weeks ago and we found an old Delta Rockwell Unisaw that's probably from the 1970's I would guess. It has no motor and no fence. It looks like the motor quit working and the previous owner tried making a motor mount to use a more standard type of motor, but gave up on it.

bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

View Chris86's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Quote from OP said:

bill
You are correct sir, there is no old motor to get the bracket from. However, I looked at the bracket in the link that dodgeboy77 posted and that looks like something that my friend's dad could easily make for us (he does welding, metalworking, and mechanic work for a living).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode