Air Compresssors (Oil Free, Portable) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

View lgldsr73's Photo Album My Photos
Air Compresssors (Oil Free, Portable)

I purchased a Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake oil-free air compressor today for $99.99. With a stated max of 150psi and with the regulator closed the pressure dropped forty pounds overnight. Figuring it was bad I returned it to HD and bought a DeWalt, max pressure 165psi. That's dropped some twenty pounds in the last two hours.

I reached out to a carpenter friend and he said that this is pretty much the norm for portable air compressors. That said, I do have a Sears (oil) boat anchor downstairs that maintains the maximum 125psi day in and day out with the regulator closed. It's more transportable than portable but with that said so is the Space Shuttle.

Anyone else agree with my friends assessment? Or did I manage to get two defective air compressors?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 12:14 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know, I've got a harbor freight pancake compressor that will stay aired up for a couple weeks before it drops enough to turn on. When the Speedaire compressor I have was newer it would stay aired up for more than a month.

Your problem is probably the connectors. Mix up some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray around the plumbing and the drain cock. You might just need to tighten something or remove it and use some nylon tape. The soapy water will let you know where air is getting out.

As far as oil-free compressors go they are usually a lot noisier than the oil models and they tend to wear out quicker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Minnesota Marty (01-26-2016)
post #3 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 01:32 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Did you use the same hose with both compressors? If so, you probably have at air leak someone along the hose or at the connectors.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 AM

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
I have an Emglo twin tank that's at least 12 years old and never loses pressure. As mentioned check your hoses and connectors.

Joe B. 41
post #5 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Always use Teflon tape on connections on pressure systems.

George
post #6 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
the style of compressor has little to do with bleed down. it is the connections, or possible a leaking component. immediately after the pump is a one direction check valve, from that point on (tank, tank drain valve, regulator, on/off pressure switch, over pressure/relief valve, head unloader, connections, etc.) - it is all subject to leaking.

leaving a hose and tool connected raises the chance of bleed down. but with nothing connected, it should hold. can you hear the leak? you can spray a soapy water solution on all of the connections and watch for bubbles.

Last edited by TimPa; 01-25-2016 at 07:26 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 09:19 AM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Tim's got the right idea. If you're leaving a hose hooked up any compressor will leak down overnight. Either unplug the hose or add a shut off valve before your plug in.

It's possible there were leaks somewhere else but that's unlikely on two brand new units. BTW turning your regulator down is not accomplishing anything as far as keeping air from leaking.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
Tim's got the right idea. If you're leaving a hose hooked up any compressor will leak down overnight. Either unplug the hose or add a shut off valve before your plug in.

It's possible there were leaks somewhere else but that's unlikely on two brand new units. BTW turning your regulator down is not accomplishing anything as far as keeping air from leaking.
That's just it, there was no hose connected. I intentionally let it fill (drain valve was tight as well) and did not connect a hose to see if it would maintain pressure overnight.

I have more bizarre problems at times than I know what to do with.
Oh, on that note I also bought a new Ridgid Wet / Dry Vac at the same time. Accessories missing, screws for the handle missing, etc. Factory sealed box, btw.....
post #9 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I have never had a compressor where leaving a hose plugged in was a problem. All of my compressors had had a manual cutoff BEFORE the hose connection. This cutoff valve was factory installed, not an addon.

Do not understand what design you have had.

George
post #10 of 15 Old 01-26-2016, 05:41 PM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgldsr73 View Post
I have more bizarre problems at times than I know what to do with.
Oh, on that note I also bought a new Ridgid Wet / Dry Vac at the same time. Accessories missing, screws for the handle missing, etc. Factory sealed box, btw.....
From Home Depot? They take back returned items and put them back on the shelf without checking. I bought a deck sprayer that had the factory tape across the top, but someone had managed to unfold the bottom, take the sprayer out to use it, NOT rinse it, put it back and return it.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes they do. I once wound up with a manual that had coffee on it.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-26-2016, 06:05 PM

View Dan3103's Photo Album My Photos
When air is compressed, it gets hot. When it cools in the tank, the pressure is reduced. Could your pressure be falling due to the cooling of the air inside? Just a thought...
post #13 of 15 Old 01-26-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3103 View Post
When air is compressed, it gets hot. When it cools in the tank, the pressure is reduced. Could your pressure be falling due to the cooling of the air inside? Just a thought...
That's definitely food for thought but again, the boat anchor Craftsman I have downstairs maintains a full tank day in and day out, month in and month out.

The DeWalt went back and I bought a Husky Silent Flow and it's been holding all day. I can only assume that both the DeWalt and the Porter Cable were bad.

And btw, that Husky is S I L E N T. Man is that quiet!

Thanks!
post #14 of 15 Old 01-26-2016, 08:12 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Glad you finally got one that works properly.

How big is the tank and how long to fill and recover?
post #15 of 15 Old 01-26-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad you finally got one that works properly.

How big is the tank and how long to fill and recover?
4.5 gal. 0-psi to 125 PSI is 00:01:47.

$139 at HD, 3 year warranty. Again, all but absolutely quiet.
The Following User Says Thank You to lgldsr73 For This Useful Post:
Chamfer (01-27-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode