after-market non OEM batteries for DeWalt - worthwhile? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 05-06-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

View TimeTurnsElastic's Photo Album My Photos
after-market non OEM batteries for DeWalt - worthwhile?

I am in the market for an additional post type DeWalt 18v XRP battery. The generic off-brands are cheap (all over Ebay for about $26 inc. shipping) and most come with a 30-day money back, 1-year warranty.

I should add I'm not usually one to skimp and never would on any sort of equipment with the potential to compromise safety. In this case, wondering if there's any risk in going cheap -- like potential damage to the tool? It would be for my cordless 18v Brad Nailer (a fantastic tool). Main reason I'm even considering this is, all my cordless tools except said nailer are Bosch. So unless I cross over or start acquiring more DW tools I don't see the sense in putting a lot of $ into OEM batteries.

Any one have experience with the after-market cheap-o's on Ebay? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
my knowledge of lithium batteries tells me that they are really not that special...

The price that you pay for a battery from an OEM has a huge markup on it.

As for risk. Generally speaking, the only way to harm a tool would be to overload it, which a battery cannot do. The potential to exceed "18" volts does not exist in the cells.

As long as the shell is properly formed and does not bind in the tool or become easily damaged, that should be obvious by user reviews.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
This is from one of my WOOD mags from last year and I tend to agree with them...

"It may be tempting to buy a lower cost generic replacement battery pack when yours dies, we've had the best results over the years using replacement packs from the maker of the tool. This is especially true with Li-ion packs, which contain certain electronic chips that optimize each brands technology. They cost 20-40% more, but you can trust them without worry of failure or overheating because they were made specifically for those tools."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 PM

View tvman44's Photo Album My Photos
In the case of the Dewalt 18 volt packs they are ni-cad batteries & not li-ion. I just bought 4 of these packs from fle-bay so cannot tell you anything much about them yet. But look at it this way, 10 to 1 the OEM probably uses cells from china which is where these come from only no Dewalt label on them. My 3 Dewalt tools run just fine with the 3rd party batteries that are less than half the price of OEM. Definitely worth a try.

Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
with a EX-21
post #5 of 12 Old 05-06-2015, 11:01 PM

there is an 18v li-ion line of tools from dewalt.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 07:47 AM

View rcp612's Photo Album My Photos
When my Bosch battery gave up on me I ordered a replacement from http://www.ebatts.com/.
It was listed as having a higher mAh rating, and a 1 year warranty for much less money. If, and when I need another, that's where I'll go.

Do like you always do,,,, get what you always get!!
post #7 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 12:53 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
This is from one of my WOOD mags from last year and I tend to agree with them...

"It may be tempting to buy a lower cost generic replacement battery pack when yours dies, we've had the best results over the years using replacement packs from the maker of the tool. This is especially true with Li-ion packs, which contain certain electronic chips that optimize each brands technology. They cost 20-40% more, but you can trust them without worry of failure or overheating because they were made specifically for those tools."
I agree as well, if you have more than one battery it is easy put a battery on the charger and forget about it, lock up the shop and who knows what will happen.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 02:14 PM

View peridigm's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
I agree as well, if you have more than one battery it is easy put a battery on the charger and forget about it, lock up the shop and who knows what will happen.
I've had a DeWalt 18v battery swell up to the point it was going to burst while on a charger. This happened over night. The smell was what tipped me off when I entered the shop. The charger and the battery were too hot to touch. I threw both away because I could not know what was faulty without risking another battery.

With that said, I'm an IT guy by day and use aftermarket batteries for laptops and APC battery backup units for servers and desktops. I've seen the original OEM battery swell on more than one occasion in those units as well. I think the risk is there for any battery to fail and potentially burst. If using an OEM battery you may have recourse with the OEM if the tool is damaged, if not, you get what you pay for if no warranty. And one would assume, the warranty provided by aftermarket batteries would be for the battery and not the tool it could possibly damage.

I only buy refurbished DeWalt cordless drills and impact guns now. The batteries are also marked refurbished. I don't know if OEM refurbished batteries exist separately. That would be a cheaper alternative to buying new OEM and still has the OEM warranty.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
it probably would not be a bad idea to keep your batteries away from walls on something non flammable, a tile or glass. I think that would be a good practice for any lithium ion battery. Even if it is incredibly unlikely for them to fail without physical damage.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I've got two 12v xrp guns i've had for 10yrs bought out of a pawn shop lightly used. I assume because they sat on the charger for months without out use I think I killed 3 of the 4 batteries.

With this in mind the 12v xrp I believe costs more than the 18v xrp and as the current guns offer more gizmos and look cool after searching Ebay for what seemed like months I broke down and bought One $71 battery from Home Depot. Love my gun once again and have had the battery for atleast a year. Now if I would only break down and buy the other three for $200 I'd be king of the shop again.

Bottom line. Check the date and make sure there current when and if you decide to buy from the big box and enjoy the refreshed gun. There might be a deal but to me its not worth the gamble
post #11 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 03:28 PM

View Timbok's Photo Album My Photos
Aftermarket batteries are the way to go!! I have successfully rebuilt my batteries using kits from www.battrx.com they have a higher mah rating and an even greater mah rating in NIMH.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-21-2015, 12:29 AM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
I've had cordless drill battarys go bad and since I radio control airplanes we use lipo battarys for your planes. They are in my opinion much better than factory battarys. You can get different voltages and different mah. Different shapes to fit your needs and much much cheaper.

Tags
18v battery, dewalt, xrp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode