Advice on a new tablesaw. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

View 16ga's Photo Album My Photos
Advice on a new tablesaw.

Hey guys.

Iím hoping to pick up a new table saw sometime within the next year and looking for some advice.

2 saws Iíve really been looking at are grizzlys G0444Z
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-T...t-Wings/G0444Z

And there 2 HP Hybrid Cabinet Saw
http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...inet-Saw/G0478

Anyone know just how much better the hybrid saw would be?

Iím thinking if its not much of a difference I may be better off going with the smaller one and having the option of dragging it off to a job site if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
4 years ago I switched from a nice tricked out GI contractor saw to a nice tricked out hybrid, and found there to be several advantages with the hybrid. It's not night and day, but since you're buying new, there's not much to be gained by buying the 60 year design of the contractor saw with the motor hanging out the back. Last year I upgraded from the hybrid to a 3hp cabinet saw...the hybrid offers more of the benefits of a cabinet saw than a contractor saw.

With the hybrid you'll get better dust collection, smaller footprint, a shorter drive belt (less vibration and more efficient power transfer), more mass, no lifting hazard from the motor, and in this specific case the trunnion design is better on the G0478 than with the G0444Z. If you don't need the portability of a jobsite saw, the hybrid/cabinet saw design offers the most advantages over a contractor saw or jobsite saw.

If you need to have a portable saw for occasional use, I'd just pick up an inexpensive separate saw as opposed to giving up the benefits of a full size saw for your main shop.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Right on Knotscott!

I agree totally and the hybrid looks like a great saw. If you need a portable then get one later. It's kinda like carrying a .45 and a .380 for back up. 16 ga will understand that analogy! You know, I believe every saw has its purpose, and 2 saws are not 2 many, unless they are all bolted together, NOT! I really like my Craftsman Hybrid 22124 as well. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-11-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

I'll probably end up going with the hybrid then.

I've got an old beat up 8" craftsmen benchtop right now that can't cut straight and has a habit of kicking so I really need something better.

Bill that analogy works for me.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys. More advice needed. (sorry just want to make sure i do everything right and don't end up kicking myself later on.)

I started looking around more and the G1023S Is only a little over $100 more and seems to be a full cabinet saw.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-T...se-220V/G1023S

Also the G1023SLW for just a little more looks like it comes with a router table attachment. (something i'm planing on adding to my saw sometime anyway.)
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-L...e-Saw/G1023SLW

The biggest problem is that my electric hasnít been run in the shop yet and all I have is 2 double 120 receptacles and extension cords.
I donít know yet how much the electric will cost or when Iíll get to it but I do hope to run 240 to the tablesaw and a few other things.

Not really sure if I would be better off buying the hybrid now or waiting until the shops wired and getting one of the others.

Iím soon going to have the money for one and really need something better then the 8" benchtop with a near worthless fence that I have now.

Just not sure what I want to do. any advice?

post #6 of 14 Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Buying a hybrid now, and selling it used to buy the cabinet saw is the more expensive route for sure....you're likely to take a hefty hit for the G0478. If you're really looking to get something that's functional just to tide your over for a while, why not find a decent $200-$400 used saw? It'll still be worth roughly $200-$400 when you're ready to sell it, however dunno how long the deal on the 1023SL will last.

I'm sure the G0478 will handle the vast majority of what you need to cut, but just in case you haven't peeked under the hood of those two saws...I guess I'm hoping the pics will convince you that the cab saw is worth the wait.

Last edited by knotscott; 05-14-2009 at 03:21 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 PM

View Mrk67mark's Photo Album My Photos
I have the G0478 and I absolutely love it. One of the main reasons I purchased it and not the G1023 is that I do not have 220 in my garage. There are a few minor things I did not like about the G0478. The blade guard and splitter were hard to get aligned, so I do not use them. I do use a splitter in my zctp's though. The blade changing wrenches are pieces of crap and bent the first time I tried to remove the blade. Other than that, I could not be happier with the saw, the fence is very stout, dust collection is good, and I have yet to bog down the motor. If I'd have had 220 in my garage, I probably would have went with the G1023, but have no regrets with the G0478. Just my 2 cents.
Mark
post #8 of 14 Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

I'm thinking I may beable to run a quick 240V receptacle for the saw from my main box for now if i have to.

Still have to wait a little longer before i have the money for one but hopefully it won't be too long.

Any one know how the fright shipping works from grizzly? Mainly if you have to unload the truck yourself or if they can get it to the ground?
post #9 of 14 Old 05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzley freight

It is called curb side delivery. They are suppossed to drop it off the truck at the edge of the street (curb). Most of the freight drivers will help you get it on the dolly and if needed they will help get it to the house. There are some that drop it off the truck and your on your own but thats rare. They helped me get it all the way back to the shop before ( I was in a sling) so I gave him a tip which he actually didn't want.

I would go for the cabinet saw and if you have the room look into the 7' rails. As for the 220 line if you can run a temp line you can probably run the perm line as well. However, I wouldn't suggest you do anything that your not comfortable with your knowledge.

Last edited by rrbrown; 05-16-2009 at 06:42 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-16-2009, 06:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Scottknot

Seems like everytime someone posts a question about this or that table saw you come up with the best pictures of underskirt tablesaws I've ever seen! How do you manage to do that?
You had great pix of my Craftsman 22124 underbody and now these! Woah! Is my 68 Powermatic safe? And there's never any dust! HUH? A woodworking talk mystery.ooohhh scary. bill
BTW Put my vote on the G1023SLW and Free shipping! It's a beautiful thing.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-16-2009 at 06:57 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-17-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Seems like everytime someone posts a question about this or that table saw you come up with the best pictures of underskirt tablesaws I've ever seen! How do you manage to do that?
You had great pix of my Craftsman 22124 underbody and now these! Woah! Is my 68 Powermatic safe? And there's never any dust! HUH? A woodworking talk mystery.ooohhh scary. ...
General 350 (with dust!)

Your PM68 is safe for now!
post #12 of 14 Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

My only real concern was getting the saw off the truck. Once its on the ground I should be able to move it with my tractor. Just afraid if I had to try unlading it my tractor might end up doing a nose stand on top the new saw.

knotscott you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the underside of grizzly's router table addon would you?
I'm wondering if my freud router will fit on it?

post #13 of 14 Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ga View Post
Thanks guys.

My only real concern was getting the saw off the truck. Once its on the ground I should be able to move it with my tractor. Just afraid if I had to try unlading it my tractor might end up doing a nose stand on top the new saw.

knotscott you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the underside of grizzly's router table addon would you?
I'm wondering if my freud router will fit on it?
He probably does, just like most of the time.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Sorry, don't have that one in my repertoire....this is as close as I can come, but I don't know what brand it is...

This one looks like it uses t-slots for some universal clips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode