Advice needed on best tool to use for my project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Lenny Howard
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Chamfer

post #1 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

View greenwillow's Photo Album My Photos
Arrow Advice needed on best tool to use for my project

Hi. Newbie here:
A while back, I built a rustic bookshelf using (what I call) egg crate cuts and a jigsaw. It was such a success, the buyer of our home asked for them in the sale.

Now, my spouse wants the same thing in the new house, only more and bigger. Cutting all those quarter inch slots with a jig saw is going to be slow, so I'm trying to figure out which power tool would be the best to purchase to do the work more quickly and accurately.

I'm on a budget and probably will be looking for a something used and with no big learning curve.

Finally, the shelves don't have to be great furniture, but they do need to be sturdy. I'll be painting them. Is there some type of wood less expensive than oak that someone might suggest I use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bookshelf.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	226281  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 11:08 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Did you mean 3/4" slots, not 1/4"?

I'd use a router, rather than a jig saw. however a jig saw just inside the lines will remove most of the material leaving the final clean up for the router. A hand held circ saw will do the same, but I'd use a right angle guide and NOT saw right up to the half way point. Leave some for the jig saw to nibble away and clean up with a chisel.
greenwillow likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Yes. I meant 3/4 inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 11:26 AM

View Lenny Howard's Photo Album My Photos
A router would be a great next purchase or use this chance to buy a better jig saw.
Consider using Poplar. It's fine for paint grade projects and should be cheap.
greenwillow likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny Howard For This Useful Post:
greenwillow (03-28-2016)
post #5 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 12:04 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I would build the shelving you have pictured out of 3/4" Birch plywood using my table saw.
I would cover the edges with molding made of Pine or Poplar.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 01:09 PM
where's my table saw?

there's a problem with this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I would build the shelving you have pictured out of 3/4" Birch plywood using my table saw.
I would cover the edges with molding made of Pine or Poplar.
Plywood doesn't not have the bending strength of hard wood, especially cantilevered like the photo. I don't believe the OP has a table saw either, that's why he used the jigsaw on the first set. Making dados half way across a board is not the easiest or safest method using a tablesaw. If you withdraw the piece before the blade is completely stopped AND the work shifts it will bind and all heck will break loose.

My advice is with large or long pieces move the tool, like a jigsaw, circular saw or router, or use a RAS. For small pieces move the workpiece, like a table saw using a sled.
greenwillow likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 03:41 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
I think the jigsaw is probably the quickest way. You'd have make at multiple passes with a router so I'm thinking that would negate any time saving.

As Lenny mentioned consider poplar as a cheaper alternative to oak since it's getting painted.
greenwillow likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
I would use a fine toothed hand saw filed crosscut, and a sharp chisel. But then again, I have been accused of being mentally ill.

And +1 with the poplar recommendation for paint grade.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
I would use a fine toothed hand saw filed crosscut, and a sharp chisel. But then again, I have been accused of being mentally ill.

And +1 with the poplar recommendation for paint grade.
Since I have the upper body strength of a chipmunk, I'd be sawing (and swearing) for the next three years.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM

View Pop Pop's Photo Album My Photos
With a sharp saw, the effort is minimal.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-29-2016, 06:00 PM

View Woodyhoots's Photo Album My Photos
If you did buy a router you could trench out dado grooves on your uprights and house your horizontals in there instead. Don't trench out all the way to the front edge and cut a shoulder on your shelves so it just looks like it's butt jointed. Sorry if my terminology is wrong I'm from the uk and we use different names for things.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-29-2016, 08:53 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Just a suggestion - construction 2X10s - (pick straight ones), and a router. Make a simple dado jig -example:

Cut your dados about 1/4- 3/8 inch deep, stagger them on opposite sides of vertical parts. Glue them up. Finish front of the 2Xs with molding. Here's a pic of what it can look like - in use and under construction at the same time!
Attached Images

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-30-2016, 09:12 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyhoots View Post
If you did buy a router you could trench out dado grooves on your uprights and house your horizontals in there instead. Don't trench out all the way to the front edge and cut a shoulder on your shelves so it just looks like it's butt jointed. Sorry if my terminology is wrong I'm from the uk and we use different names for things.
I like this method. Score the edges of the cut with a knife to avoid tearing and measure your shelf thickness to see which nominal 3/4" bit to get. You may need an undersize one if you do use plywood.

The cantilevers will need another method, though. Maybe the egg crate is needed? Scoring and measuring would be needed anyway for that. Downcutting blades for the jigsaw should be considered if you go that way.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
I like this method. Score the edges of the cut with a knife to avoid tearing and measure your shelf thickness to see which nominal 3/4" bit to get. You may need an undersize one if you do use plywood.

The cantilevers will need another method, though. Maybe the egg crate is needed? Scoring and measuring would be needed anyway for that. Downcutting blades for the jigsaw should be considered if you go that way.
I can see where this type of bookcase would be sturdier.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 AM
where's my table saw?

now that is a serious floor load!

This setup must weigh as much as a Volkswagon! It looks extremely strong however. Nice! You can never have too many books, bullets or HP ...JMO. :smile3:

post #16 of 16 Old 04-01-2016, 04:32 PM

View Woodyhoots's Photo Album My Photos
If you do use downward cutting jigsaw blades turn the kick off on your jigsaw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode