Woodworking Talk banner

Advice on long narrow console table

697 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  TimeTurnsElastic 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi gang! Haven’t been on here in awhile, hope everyone’s well!

So, I’m making a 7’ long x 14” deep table @ 32” height. Doubling up 3/4 ply for the top and supporting with 1 1/2” x 3/4” apron. Should this be sufficient to avoid sagging?

I’m doing 2” square legs. Traditional m&t apron-leg construction but with a design modification. The top of the leg would essentially a through tenon (inside corner), with 1” of material removed on each side, to the depth of the table thickness (1 1/2), upon which the solid edging (1”) will rest - flush to sides of table legs. Solid edging would be mitered with splines. The mortise for the apron, would then begin 1 1/2” down from the top of the leg. If this makes any sense?? In theory should this design be sufficiently strong and stable? I know a drawing would help....will try to get to that tomorrow.

My other question is, I want to a bullnose profile. Again the solid edge is 1 1/2” tall and 1” wide/deep (Doug fir). I’d like fully rounded edges, no cove. What bit/method do you guys recommend? Those large bullnose bits are expensive. Thinking maybe I do a 3/4” roundover on each side? If that radius is even available and not too pricy?

Sorry - lots of questions. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.