Adjustable dado issue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

View Canuck's Photo Album My Photos
Adjustable dado issue

I'm new to this forum and am hoping to capitalize on the knowledge of so may well-informed individuals...

I purchased an older Craftsman table saw at a garage sale a few years ago and have been upgrading and tuning it so that it does its job properly. When I bought the saw, it came with a 16 tooth Craftsman carbide-tipped adjustable dado (9-3263). I have used these types of blades before and am familiar with their limitations but have never seen one do what this one does - the photos below should give you an idea of what the issue is:

Adjustable dado issue-dsc_1640_235net.jpg
7/8"

Adjustable dado issue-dsc_1642_237net.jpg
1/2"

Adjustable dado issue-dsc_1638_233net.jpg

Does anyone here have any thoughts on how to correct this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
That's not even remotely close to what it should be. Makes me think something has shifted in the hub. Honestly, I'd discard it and look for a better carbide tipped stacked dado head.

Best bargain...CMT stacked dado set $52.50 shipped

Last edited by knotscott; 09-06-2012 at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I agree. That looks dangerously broken on the inside. I would not use it.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

I figured that this might open up a good discussion... I fully agree that a stacked dado system is the way to go and am keeping an eye out for a good deal on one. Knotscott, thanks for the link - too bad that they will not ship outside of the the US.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry, I missed that you were in Canada.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Have you considered doing dadoes with a router?

post #7 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Have you considered doing dadoes with a router?
I've used the router as well but I'm currently limited to a very simple setup with the accessories at my disposal. I just wanted to see what opinions people had about the problem presented in the original post and if anyone has experienced anything similar.

I may bring the unit back to Sears - along with my test piece - and see if they stand behind their warranties...
post #8 of 12 Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have that same dado tool. It makes dados that are square at the bottom albeit a little rough. I also do not like the vibration and noise that accompanies it.

Unless there is noticeable slop in the "works" I do not know what could go wrong with it. The only thing I can think of is that the arbor on the saw and the shaft hole in the tool are not the same size.

I also do not understand the blade marks on the bottom of the hole.

George
post #9 of 12 Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I'm guessing but it looks like it may have been disassembled and reassembled incorrectly. Those blades are supposed to move left to right equally from a centerline, depending on the relationship of the cams.
That is still a current item with Sears though, sells for ~$60 so returning it and trying to ge a replacement may be a shot. Sorry, couldn't find an exploded view nor an owners manual online.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #10 of 12 Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

GeorgeC, you hit the nail on the head... Hanging my head in shame I have to admit that I did not notice the difference in size between the saw arbor (5/8") and the bore on the dado (just shy of 3/4") - I guess that I just slipped the blade on and let gravity do its thing before tightening the nut. The eccentricity caused by the blade being off-centre on the arbor, combined with the wobble action, caused the ramp effect. The solution to the problem was to machine an adapter bushing - with the following result:

Adjustable dado issue-dsc_1651_246net.jpg

Thank you all for your responses which were a great way to be welcomed to the forum.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-07-2012, 04:18 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I'm guessing but it looks like it may have been disassembled and reassembled incorrectly. Those blades are supposed to move left to right equally from a centerline, depending on the relationship of the cams.
That is still a current item with Sears though, sells for ~$60 so returning it and trying to ge a replacement may be a shot. Sorry, couldn't find an exploded view nor an owners manual online.
There are no blades.

There is only one blade that "wobbles" from side to side. I just went and looked at my same tool. There is no provision for disassembly.

Are you sure you are discussing the dado tool pictured?

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dado.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	50511  

post #12 of 12 Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
There are no blades.

There is only one blade that "wobbles" from side to side. I just went and looked at my same tool. There is no provision for disassembly.

Are you sure you are discussing the dado tool pictured?

George
Hi George - yep, I fat fingered the "s". I have one I got from HF a couple of eons ago. I haven't used it in 30 yrs, just never threw it out and would feel guilty giving it away or selling it. I think it can be disassembled. I haven't looked at the Sears version, I use a stacked myself.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode