Adjust Arbor alignment on Delta Contractor Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

View kholton's Photo Album My Photos
Adjust Arbor alignment on Delta Contractor Saw

I need to learn how to adjust the alignment of the arbor on a Delta Contractor Saw. My Blade is not paralllel to the Slot. Anyone know of source for the information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
On most contractor saws, the table top is loosened and then adjusted so that the blade is parallel with the miter gauge slots.

BTW - If you expect the table top to STAY aligned, use new washers under the heads of the bolts. The old ones typically distort and as you tighten the bolts the table moves into the previous set of the washer.

Hint - Using garage door hardware washers will reduce the likelihood of the washer distorting.

Hint2 - It helps to use an automotive creeper during the adjustment process.

DAMHIKT

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrich For This Useful Post:
kholton (09-19-2010)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-19-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

View kholton's Photo Album My Photos
Delta Contractor Saw Alignment

I believe that I know how to align the table ( Thanks to you) Now I need do it if I can Thanks Rich

Last edited by kholton; 09-19-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 09:48 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Delta contractor saws are not adjusted by moving the table top, that's for cabinet saws. To adjust a contractor saw, you move the yoke that the trunion assembly is mounted to. The two yoke bolts are in slots, there are also two bolts at the front but you have to reach in under the saw from behind. This operation may have to be done from time to time since the motor mounting system has a tendency to pull things out of line. Loosening three bolts is all you need to do.
There is a product made specifically for contractor saw yokes that aid in making the alignment and help to keep things from moving.
http://www.in-lineindustries.com/saw_pals.html
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer1 For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (03-07-2012)
post #5 of 9 Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 PM

View winter woodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Referring to the parts diagram, which three bolts do I loosen to align the blade to the miter slot? I have gotten the same problem just recently on my Delta Contractors saw. Are 2 of them the bolts on the rear trunion bracket? Your help would be GREATLY appreciated.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Hammer is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post

On most contractor saws, the table top is loosened and then adjusted so that the blade is parallel with the miter gauge slots.

(Not so! rich)
DAMHIKT
On contractor saws, the table top is bolted to the case. The trunnions are bolted to the table top and are adjustable, usually with four bolts, 2 front, 2 rear. As suggested by Hammer, loosen 3 of the four and leave the last one as a pivot to rotate the assembly around in the necessary direction. You may have to loosen the last one a 1/4 turn to free it up enough to rotate ot, but that's all.
After you think you have it moved correctly. snug them up, but not super tight yet. Check your alignment again, and if it didn't change tighten them to the correct torque. The washers under the trunnions on every contractor saw I've had apart are star washers, not flat washers and they don't squish out.

Sorry for bustin' on Ya rich, but that's my version and I'm stickin' to it. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-07-2012 at 02:11 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Just for the record..."PALS" works.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2016, 09:51 PM

View tom purcell's Photo Album My Photos
adjusting delta contractor saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
On contractor saws, the table top is bolted to the case. The trunnions are bolted to the table top and are adjustable, usually with four bolts, 2 front, 2 rear. As suggested by Hammer, loosen 3 of the four and leave the last one as a pivot to rotate the assembly around in the necessary direction. You may have to loosen the last one a 1/4 turn to free it up enough to rotate ot, but that's all.
After you think you have it moved correctly. snug them up, but not super tight yet. Check your alignment again, and if it didn't change tighten them to the correct torque. The washers under the trunnions on every contractor saw I've had apart are star washers, not flat washers and they don't squish out.

Sorry for bustin' on Ya rich, but that's my version and I'm stickin' to it. bill
I tried moving the two nuts behind and got it to cut within .008 thousands parallel . That is to say marking the saw blade and using and indicator on dot on front of blade and then rotating the dot to the rear and taking another reading I got the indicator within .002 after tightening the two nuts. How ever it still cuts .008 difference from front to back. The fence is dead on with miter slot too.
Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
6 years later, almost to the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom purcell View Post
I tried moving the two nuts behind and got it to cut within .008 thousands parallel . That is to say marking the saw blade and using and indicator on dot on front of blade and then rotating the dot to the rear and taking another reading I got the indicator within .002 after tightening the two nuts. How ever it still cuts .008 difference from front to back. The fence is dead on with miter slot too.
Thanks
This old thread comes to life to help someone new.:smile3:
Glad it worked out for you.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode