Adding a Riving Knife to a Craftsman TS - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By SteveKoz
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

View SteveKoz's Photo Album My Photos
Adding a Riving Knife to a Craftsman TS

I have an old Craftsman Table saw. I'm updating it with a new Shop Fox fence. Been seeing more about riving knifes and thinking it has some advantages. Is this something that can be added to an old saw? How does it attach? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 01-26-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 11:22 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Micro-Jig has a line of "MJ Splitter" products that may interest you:
https://www.microjig.com/collections/mj-splitter
post #3 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Looks interesting. I just sent them an email. My table saw has a much smaller/shorter plate than the ones in the videos. Not sure I have enough room for a couple splitters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5289.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	588.8 KB
ID:	383973  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 05:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Need more/better photos.....

My splitter is attached to a long 3/4" diameter rod that goes under the table and is held by the trunnions so it will tilt. Your saw may be different, but we would still ned to see the direct under view and a view down into the rear without a throat plate. Some riving knifes, the Shark attach to the upper rear portion of the trunnions with a sing horizontal bolt ... if I recall, I don't own one, just saw them on the web. That's another alternative for a riving knife, but there may be a waiting period as he makes them a few or one at a time:
https://www.thesharkguard.com/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-24-2020 at 05:36 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 11:34 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
The question wasn't can you add a splitter, it's can you add a riving knife and that may not be possible. The riving knife has to mount to the blade carriage and raise and lower and tilt with the blade. There was a product a while back called a BORK (bolt-on riving knife), but the guy who made them got sick or stopped for some reason.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 01:35 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
As far as I know the BORK was not a true riving knife, it was advertised as a splitter that worked like a riving knife. When installed it protruded above the blade so had to be removed to make a non-through cut.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 02:36 AM
where's my table saw?

splitters VS riving knives .......

New table saws come with a riving knife and were designed for them. Older saws came with splitters and typically they also held the blade guard, like my Craftsman 10". The splitter also had the antikickback pawls and those were a real pain. So, I never used mine until I realized how important they were in maintaining the workpiece from rotating away from the rear of the fence and causing a kickback. That probably was not their original function, but an unintended consequence.

So, better late than never, I drilled out the anti-kickback pawls which left me with a large plate, a splitter only. Yes, you can NOT make a non-through cut because the splitter sticks up beyond the height of the blade, unless you remove it for those rare times. I also eventually made a blade guard from 3 pieces of wood and bolted to the splitter:

It's a "friction" fit so it's adjustable from all the way up o right down touching the workpiece. It also is high enough for the thickest cut allowed with the 10" blade to pass underneath it. The splitter has made a significant safety improvement on my table saw, and I always prefer having it installed, so it rarely comes off.

This video shows a DIY version made from a thin shelf bracket:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-26-2020 at 02:38 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
The question wasn't can you add a splitter, it's can you add a riving knife and that may not be possible. The riving knife has to mount to the blade carriage and raise and lower and tilt with the blade. There was a product a while back called a BORK (bolt-on riving knife), but the guy who made them got sick or stopped for some reason.
To be honest I really didn't know the difference between the two until today. I've built several pieces of furniture over the years and always dealt with wood pinching behind the blade. Just thought that was part of the process to be aware of and just worked with it. While looking to replace/upgrade my saw I started reading about riving knifes and realized there was a solution for that problem. While looking at the shark guard and shield products I remembered the saw came with a guard. Thinking I might be able to modify it somehow I dug it out of a box where it had been sitting since I first purchased the saw. I removed it because I couldn't see what I was cutting not realizing what it was attached to was a splitter AND it's purpose. Can't believe I've wrestled with this for so many years. It attaches really easy so I'll learn what I like and don't like about it and modify it if needed to fit my liking. Probably should have purchased a new saw like I first intended to get all the new features. I've built several pieces of furniture over the years with this Craftsman and it's a decent saw. I ordered a new SawStop fence, now I'll attach this splitter and planning on adding a catch table might make working with this saw feel like a newer saw.. I appreciated all the advise.
woodnthings and gmercer_48083 like this.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 02:29 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I guess we all have those Ah Ha moments when we discover that in our haste to use a new item we rushed into it before following all the steps to set it up. Table saws for example come with a splitter which unfortunately is a component of the guard which is all too often considered a nuisance rather than a safety feature.

We can spend hours and a lot of cash on measuring devices to set the saw up going through the drill, blade to miter slot, fence to miter slot, blade height and debate if the back of the fence should be kicked out a few thou or not. Then despite all this we experience a kick back and wonder why.

This is not unique to tools, I have friends that would install a new operating system on their computers and then immediately go in to delete features that the hackers had determined affected performance only to be hit by virus or malware that brought the machine to a halt.
woodnthings likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 04:32 PM
where's my table saw?

Angry Integral splitter and blade guards ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
I guess we all have those Ah Ha moments when we discover that in our haste to use a new item we rushed into it before following all the steps to set it up. Table saws for example, come with a splitter which unfortunately is a component of the guard which is all too often considered a nuisance rather than a safety feature.
The older Craftsman table saws had the blade guard with the anti kick back pawls riveted to the splitter plate, or integral, so it made using one without the other impossible ....except, if you got ambitious or creative, you could drill out the rivets, as I did, and use just the splitter. Best thing I ever did to those old saws!

This "error in design" meant not using the dang thing at all because there were too many issues with the wide blade guard causing a even more narrow passage between the blade and the fence. And the anti-kickback pawls were a real pain when ripping a short piece or making trail cuts because you couldn't back out your workpiece. Sure, they could be held up above the workpiece, but that was another thing you needed to do on an already tedious operation.....

So, they never got used much, then lost over time and when you did want it, it was no where to be found.

post #11 of 12 Old 02-01-2020, 08:30 AM

View Frank Kerman's Photo Album My Photos
You should exchange old jigsaw to new jigsaw with a high degree of maneuverability.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-01-2020, 10:13 AM
where's my table saw?

Not about jigsaws, Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kerman View Post
You should exchange old jigsaw to new jigsaw with a high degree of maneuverability.

You posted this in the wrong place. try again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode