8" Jointer & 20" Planer OR 12" Jointer/Planer Combo - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-25-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

View Kenika59's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenika59 Send a message via Skype™ to Kenika59
8" Jointer & 20" Planer OR 12" Jointer/Planer Combo

What would you do?
I want to buy a Jointer & a Planer but do not know which setup would be best.
I am a beginner & will be making cabinets, baseboards, crown molding, wainscoting, a deck, furniture & home renovations. My wife & family members have plenty of projects to keep me busy :-)
I am looking at Jet but also open to suggestions.
They have a 12" Planer/Jointer Combo for 3K or a Jet 8" Jointer & 20" Planer together for $4750.
Even though it's $1750 more which is more important to have a 12" Jointer or a 20" Planer.
Thanks everyone for always helping me on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-25-2011, 03:52 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If price is not a constraint then I would go for the separate pieces. I would think that an 8" jointer would suffice and I sure would like to have a 20" planer. Any way, I just do not like combo tools.

George
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2011, 06:29 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
or

http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-Planer/G0454
and this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-...ile-Base/G0656 or this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jo...terhead/G0490X
for much less. $2670.00 total. Of course you can upgrade both to spiral heads if you want. I have the above 2 Grizzly tools. I like 'em and the price was great.
BTW even if space is at a premium, the separate tools will serve you better. No change overtime/hassle including dust collection issues to change over. I also have a 13" jointer/planer combo Mini Max, so I know it's a pain to switch back and forth. Just park them side by side and the space will be minimal.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-25-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 AM

View SargeVN's Photo Album My Photos
I would go the 8" & 20" route if space is not a major issue. I have had both for years and would not trade the separate machines for a combo for love or money... Combo's have their place and usually where space is the defining issue. And... as someone posted you can get the separate machines cheaper than $4.7K..

Your call.. good luck..
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
What catches my attention is this, "...I am a beginner & will be making cabinets, baseboards, crown molding, wainscoting, a deck, furniture & home renovations..." So you are just getting started and willing to drop almost $5k on some pretty significant tools?! I'd take a step back and make sure you've sorted out everything you need AND if this is really something you will fancy prior to unloading that type of cash. Could be I've missed something along the way, but just sayin'

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1023RL tablesaw | Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table
post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 PM

View SargeVN's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent point and thought Chris... this is an expensive hobby "start-up" wise... good idea to be patient and evaluate if you want to make the deep commitment of sinking $4K-$??K into tools you will only recover approximately half of if your interest goes south.. :)

Woodworker's Guild of Georgia...
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

View Kenika59's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenika59 Send a message via Skype™ to Kenika59
Thanks everyone but in response to not dropping 4-5K I've already spent at least that.
What you don't know is even though I say I'm a beginner my dad did construction & woodworking for a living. Although my career path took me in another direction I did see what he did for over 30 years.
Also I am the type of person not to do things half assed. In order for me to truly know if I want to do this I want all of & the best of tools to do it right like a professional.
If I have to use a hand plane to square wood or sand by hand instead of buying the right tools/machines, this hobby will end quickly.
I will get the 8" Jointer & 20" Planer thanks for your opinions.
Next I will be researching a Band Saw & Sander. Any suggestions...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode