60 amp breaker for powermatic 209hh 5 horse 1ph planer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

View iomoi's Photo Album My Photos
60 amp breaker for powermatic 209hh 5 horse 1ph planer

I just bought a Powermatic 209hh 5 horse 1ph planer. The manual says to use a 60 amp breaker even though the motor only uses 24 amps. I have a PM2000, 5HP 1PH Table Saw which only needs a 30 amp breaker. Here is my question. Would it be advisable to be able to plug in my table saw into the 60 amp breaker or could that burn up the table saw if there was a load put on it? Both motors use about the same amps just the planer requires a larger breaker. Or do I just need to have a dedicated plug for the planer?

Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That makes no sense to me

Is it like this one: http://timberlinetools.com/Powermati...%201791296.htm
The specs call for 21 amps draw. I would call PM and have them explain their "logic". I run my 5HP PM 12" table saw on a 30 amp breaker no problem. The motor protection should either be on the motor or in the on/off control. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-11-2010 at 05:46 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the only difference is mine has the Helical Cutterhead. I just don't want to have one outlet that can be used for the planer. The manual says to use the 60 amp breaker but then says to use 10/2 wire for the plug in which is rated for 30 amps. I just thought it might be the spike when you turn the motor on. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Thank you for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomoi View Post
Yes, the only difference is mine has the Helical Cutterhead. I just don't want to have one outlet that can be used for the planer. The manual says to use the 60 amp breaker but then says to use 10/2 wire for the plug in which is rated for 30 amps. I just thought it might be the spike when you turn the motor on. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Thank you for your input
It will not hurt your table saw to plug it into a line controlled by a 60 amp breaker. There is never a problem with having a wire size and breaker that is larger than required. It will have no effect and the actual current draw of your saw.

I am with the others. It makes no sense to require a 60 amp breaker for that situation.

George
post #5 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 07:27 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Are you reading it right. Here's a chart for hp and amps. I can see a 60 amp breaker if the motor was 5hp and run on 110v but not for 220v. 30 amp breaker for 5 hp 220v is correct. Maybe a misprint.

That motor should have an internal overload switch that in theory would stop motor damage, but putting it on a extremely large breaker could result in burning the motor if that overload fails.

Last edited by rrbrown; 09-11-2010 at 07:33 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 07:31 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
It will not hurt your table saw to plug it into a line controlled by a 60 amp breaker. There is never a problem with having a wire size and breaker that is larger than required. It will have no effect and the actual current draw of your saw.

I am with the others. It makes no sense to require a 60 amp breaker for that situation.

George
If the saw overloads and the internal overload switch fails it would fry that motor if on a 60 amp breaker. The reason they specify a breaker size is if the motor malfunctions, not for regular use. You are correct that for regular use it won't hurt but if it starts to overload from a stall you have a problem.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I would not run 10/2 wire to a 60 amp breaker. The wire will not handle 60 amps. I'm like everybody else and believe 30 amp is all you need.
Tom
post #8 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

It might be a misprint. I downloaded the manual for it from the powermatic web site. It says 220 with a 60 amp breaker. But like all you guys are saying I am going to wire it with a 30 amp breaker. The worst thing that will happen is I will keep popping the breaker. The other thing that doesn't make sense is that when I went to look at wire and plugs I don't see how I could put a 6 guage wire into a outlet designed for 10 guage plug.

Thank you guys for your information.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 AM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
its not to run the machine its called a motor start breaker your machine can draw anything from 30to 60 amps on start

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #10 of 19 Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 AM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
my club just bought a 12inch jointer that has to have one and its own power just for it

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #11 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 02:44 PM

View Dhaywood's Photo Album My Photos
breaker for HH209

I would be a little afraid of the 60 amp breaker. I used a 35 amp in mine and so far that has worked fine.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 03:48 PM

View cheese9988's Photo Album My Photos
For safety reasons, I was always taught to use the smallest breaker possible. So I'm with everyone else too, use the 30 amp. Using thicker than required wire will not hurt. Using smaller could cause a fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheese9988 For This Useful Post:
BWSmith (12-13-2010), woodnthings (12-12-2010)
post #13 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 PM
where's my table saw?

Same breaker as the wire ampacity

For example lets say you have a 30 amp breaker and run no.14 wire rated at 15 amps and there is a mild short causing the wire to overheat, but not trip the larger size breaker. What's going to happen? Maybe a fire!
If you run a wire with greater ampacity than the breaker that's OK, but not inversely. bill
BTW unless I'm all wet, a breaker will stand a momentary overload without tripping as in the case of the motor starting up.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-12-2010 at 07:56 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Are you reading it right. Here's a chart for hp and amps. I can see a 60 amp breaker if the motor was 5hp and run on 110v but not for 220v. 30 amp breaker for 5 hp 220v is correct. Maybe a misprint.
I don't think that there is a "MAYBE" about it. People that don't understand the North American electrical system would easily make that mistake.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 PM

View SkySkrape's Photo Album My Photos
I just picked up a Powermatic 209HH planer at a local auction. I currently have a 240v 20 amp breaker for my table saw that trips upon start up of the planer. I'm not sure which amp breaker is needed. I've seen suggestions from 30 - 60 amps. Anyone got some words of advice that trumps anything that's already been said in this thread?
post #16 of 19 Old 08-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Wood-a-holic

View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
Call Powermatic at 800-274-6846 and ask them. I'm betting they will tell you a 30 amp breaker is sufficient.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-19-2014, 01:35 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Disregard most of what has been said in this thread, call Powermatic to get specs, then call licensed electrician to wire to those specs.

For what it is worth breakers are not to protect the tool, but the wiring to the outlet.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #18 of 19 Old 08-19-2014, 02:27 PM
where's my table saw?

For what it's worth..

Both my 5HP Powermatic table saw and my 5 HP Campbell Hausfeld air compressor are on 30 AMP breakers. I intend to wire my new 5HP Powermate 3 cylinder compressor on a 30 AMP breaker also.....

Both the tablesaw and air compressor have operated just fine for 15 years and never tripped the breaker and always have enough power. FWIW.

post #19 of 19 Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM

View PhilBa's Photo Album My Photos
Note also that a conscientious licensed electrician would never put in a 60A breaker without having wire and outlets that are capable of handling 60A. I had a 50A 220VAC circuit put in and the electrician required NEMA 14-50 outlets (50A) vs the NEMA 14-30 that I wanted to put in. Per NEC, a little bit overkill but no big deal, I just used NEMA 14-50 plugs on my 220VAC machines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode