5/8" miter bars/miter gauge? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

View daviddoria's Photo Album My Photos
5/8" miter bars/miter gauge?

Continuing to get bitten by this cheap saw:
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...e_saws/BTS12S#

The miter slots are not the standard size. They are 5/8". I haven't been able to find any miter bars that fit this slot. I tried making my own from some birch ply, but they don't seem to slide as well as I'd like. Anyone know where I can get some steel bars with predrilled/tapped holes for attaching jigs?

Thanks,

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to daviddoria For This Useful Post:
msrickel (04-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Dave,
I wouldn't go to the bix box stores for something like you need, i normally go to a supplier that deals in different metals. You should be able to find something you need at one of these places. I do feel your pain when it comes to the 5/8" mitre slot.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
If you have a Drill press any 5/8" Cold rolled steel could work. Aluminum would work as well. Just avoid hot rolled as it'll more than likely be undersize. you could also try some UHMW plastic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Dave,
Is 5/8" the width of the mitre slot? Also what is the depth of the mitre slot?
post #5 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

The width is .64" (I'm assuming it's supposed to be 5/8", that's what it says in the specs). The width of the bottom part of the T slot is .86" (probably supposed to be 7/8"). The depth of the slot is 1/4".

Dave
post #6 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM

Dave,
I would try to find a piece of flat bar 5/8"x1/4" in whatever length you choose, myself i would use stainless flatbar. The UHMW plastic would probably work but i would want something with a little more ridigity to it. Isn't that mitre slot a t-slot?
post #7 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Yep, it's a T slot - the dimensions are in a previous post. You don't HAVE to use a T shaped bar in a T-slot though, right? It seems reasonable to find a flat piece of steel, but not a T shaped piece of steel!
post #8 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Dave,
To answer your question, no you do not have to use a T-bar in the mitre groove. If you do run on to someone that has the 5/8x1/4 flatbar, myself i would purchase enough to not only make a good mitre gauge but also enough to make a crosscut sled, and any other jig you think you might want to make. I have the Ryobi 10" table top saw that i used before i purchased my Delta and to be honest it worked fine except i couldn't use a dado blade on it because the arbor shaft was to short. Good Luck.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 01:26 AM

View PreacherDave's Photo Album My Photos
Where were all of you guys when I was researching this saw. I knew I didn't want top of the line, cause it was my first table saw, but I had no idea that adding jigs would be so hard.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
HD has metal stock in varied lengths in the hardware section. They may have something that would work. For width, .64 is wider than 5/8" (.625).

post #11 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 07:52 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I wonder if the 5/8" slot could be widened to 3/4"? Being as it's aluminum, it could be done with a router.
Assuming the area isn't hollow!!!
I think the saw is as loud as the lunchbox planer I had a few years ago!
For a cheap saw, it does have a fair amount of power.

I have a BTS 10 saw I picked up at a yard sale for cheap. I mainly use it at the rental house to cut aluminum screen framing for new frames.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
This issue has been discussed extensively

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...5&pp=25&page=2

The tabs can be ground off if you have them?
The width of the slot can "possiblly" be widened to 3/4" using a router, straight bit, slow speed, lubricant.... I donno?
Depends on the amount of material which would remain underneath after removing either 1/16" off either side or 1/8" off one side, preferably the side furthest from the blade.

Search: "fix for Craftsman 5/8" miter slots" or variations of that and see what comes up. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 AM

View PreacherDave's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinetman; I checked the local HD for the bar stock. Not a chance. Can't even order it. Might be different elsewhere, though.

Pirate; The tabs CAN be routed off, and the slot can be expanded a bit, but make sure your router is good quality, too. (Another expensive lesson for this beginning woodworker.) If the router is too cheap, it won't hold the bit, so it WILL mess up the table so you have to install a new "slot" where the old one used to be. Learn from my mistakes. {Stupid cheap tools.}
post #14 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Did you try any paste wax on the birch ply to help it glide? I'm wondering if solid birch, maple, alder, etc., would work better.

Here's a simple sled idea:

Last edited by knotscott; 10-11-2011 at 08:28 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 AM

View Improv's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...5&pp=25&page=2

The tabs can be ground off if you have them?
The width of the slot can "possiblly" be widened to 3/4" using a router, straight bit, slow speed, lubricant.... I donno?
Depends on the amount of material which would remain underneath after removing either 1/16" off either side or 1/8" off one side, preferably the side furthest from the blade.

Search: "fix for Craftsman 5/8" miter slots" or variations of that and see what comes up. bill
Why mess with a factory 'installed' miter? If both miters are used simultaneously, a guide smaller than the slot can be used against the outside/inside edges.

Having owned a Ryobi TS and searched for 5/8" bar, it is not a commonly stocked size. I did find it at http://www.mcmaster.com/# but never order personally from there as I got a CL deal on a new TS (used that company at a lab I worked though)

Regards,
Steve
post #16 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
How about clamping a saw guide to the top, and using a circular saw, to widen the slots?

Or sell it and buy a real saw!
post #17 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
suggested above

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-sheets/=eg3q7b
I've used these folks and they are great to order from and no questions return. bill
I've also used a carbide saw blade to cut thick aluminum...very shallow cuts, very cautiously, until I reached the desired depth.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Improv (10-12-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode