3 hp Cabinet saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

View Buckhunter's Photo Album My Photos
3 hp Cabinet saw

after all your responses to my Hybrid saw post ,I have decided to go ahead and put a 220 circuit in my shop and buy a 3 hp cabinet saw . I intend to use my Incra TS-LS fence so the fence that comes with the saw isn't that important .

Looking for opinions on brands and models and best bang for the buck ......
13579 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 12:45 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent choice on your fence , as to which one to buy that will have to be your choice, here's a link that may help you choose one.

Should have said not to go by the Amazon prices.

https://www.drillpressview.com/best-cabinet-table-saw/

Last edited by canarywood1; 12-15-2018 at 12:49 PM.
post #3 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 PM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Don't discount grizzly saws. I've had a 3 hp for years, good casrpt iron table, heavy and cuts like butter

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

anyone familiar with the Grizzly G1023RL
post #5 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 02:22 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhunter View Post

Basically a copy of the old Unisaw, I don't have one but know people who do and they really like them

One thing to watch on Grizzly's price is the country or origin, there is a 25% tariff on any that come from China. But the table saws were about the first thing they imported in 1983 and most are made in Taiwan

I have about 10 Grizzly machines, and have had no problems with any of them. I was a diehard Made in USA fan, as they always said where will you get parts for them, now you can get parts for most Grizzly, and very few parts for the old American names. What torqued me off was I have a Powermatic 87 bandsaw, the big boy, it is variable speed but it has a spring loaded pulley system to change speeds. The bronze bushing in one of the pulleys wore out and Powermatic said it was obsolete, it was a $10,000 band saw about 15 years old

I turned on on my engine lathe and works like new

There is no app for experience
The Following User Says Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
Buckhunter (12-15-2018)
post #6 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

anyone know the difference between the Grizzly G1023RL and the G0690. is the 690 worth the extra money
post #7 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 09:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's all right on this page at the bottom ....

Quote:
anyone know the difference between the Grizzly G1023RL and the G0690. is the 690 worth the extra money
Under Ask a Question, there are 6 main differences .......
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ng-Knife/G0690

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Buckhunter (12-18-2018)
post #8 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have a G1023RL. Very happy with it!
post #9 of 31 Old 12-18-2018, 02:24 AM

View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
You asked for options. Besides the two Grizzlies there is the Powermatic PM2000 that has recently been upgraded to the PM2000B.It is a well regarded saw and was the one everybody wanted until Sawstop came along. The best selling cabinet saw is the Sawstop Professional. Aside from the safety features, it is very well made. It's even beefier big brother is the Sawstop Industrial. Either of those two brands offer many vatiants of the models I mentioned, like motor hp and table size. There are other brands like Laguna and Baleigh that also offer 3hp table saws.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mycrossover For This Useful Post:
Buckhunter (12-18-2018)
post #10 of 31 Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 AM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I bought a G1023RL back in June. I love it! I, too, was trying to decide between the G1023RL and G0690, so I called Grizzly and talked to one of their techs. He steered me to the G1023RL. He said all of the techs there would give the same recommendation. He said the DC is better on the 1023 (not that it's great, but it's certainly decent) and the drive belt system was better. I was quite impressed that he would recommend the lower cost option. I have been thrilled with the saw. I can hardly believe I spent so many years with the cheap hybrid-ish saw I had before.

The beast is heavy, though, so be sure you have plenty of help available for getting it moved into your shop. Of course, that's true of any cabinet saw.

Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to sbrader For This Useful Post:
Buckhunter (12-18-2018)
post #11 of 31 Old 12-18-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

THANKS ..... very good info
post #12 of 31 Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Under Ask a Question, there are 6 main differences .......
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ng-Knife/G0690
THANKS ..... very good info
post #13 of 31 Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrader View Post
I bought a G1023RL back in June. I love it! I, too, was trying to decide between the G1023RL and G0690, so I called Grizzly and talked to one of their techs. He steered me to the G1023RL. He said all of the techs there would give the same recommendation. He said the DC is better on the 1023 (not that it's great, but it's certainly decent) and the drive belt system was better. I was quite impressed that he would recommend the lower cost option. I have been thrilled with the saw. I can hardly believe I spent so many years with the cheap hybrid-ish saw I had before.

The beast is heavy, though, so be sure you have plenty of help available for getting it moved into your shop. Of course, that's true of any cabinet saw.

Scott
It has never made any sense to me that Grizzly would sell two saws that are closely priced, where each had some features that were better than the other. Unless they have no input in what they are selling and just slapping their name on two pre existing Asian saws, you would think they would just come up with a single model combining the best features of both. I can't think of another company that does this. I find it a bit of a turn off. The Powermatic PM2000 does not seem to lack for anything and has good support, too. Another great saw is the old Powermatic 66 that comes up on the used market. It is built like a tank and puts the others to shame. The only downside is that it has no riving knife

post #14 of 31 Old 12-19-2018, 09:34 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
after all your responses to my Hybrid saw post ,I have decided to go ahead and put a 220 circuit in my shop and buy a 3 hp cabinet saw . I intend to use my Incra TS-LS fence so the fence that comes with the saw isn't that important .

Looking for opinions on brands and models and best bang for the buck ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycrossover View Post
You asked for options. Besides the two Grizzlies there is the Powermatic PM2000 that has recently been upgraded to the PM2000B.It is a well regarded saw and was the one everybody wanted until Sawstop came along. The best selling cabinet saw is the Sawstop Professional. Aside from the safety features, it is very well made. It's even beefier big brother is the Sawstop Industrial. Either of those two brands offer many vatiants of the models I mentioned, like motor hp and table size. There are other brands like Laguna and Baleigh that also offer 3hp table saws.
I like the SawStop saws, too. For me, the "bang for the buck" feature is the safety blade retraction mechanism, which really does go "bang!"

The truth is that SawStop is not really what the OP wants, because there is a significant cost factor for the safety mechanism, which is essentially an insurance policy.

Nonetheless, SawStop saws are good quality table saws, especially the Professional and Industrial models mentioned by @Mycrossover. Speaking only for myself, I would buy a SawStop in this case.
post #15 of 31 Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
It has never made any sense to me that Grizzly would sell two saws that are closely priced, where each had some features that were better than the other. Unless they have no input in what they are selling and just slapping their name on two pre existing Asian saws, you would think they would just come up with a single model combining the best features of both. I can't think of another company that does this. I find it a bit of a turn off. The Powermatic PM2000 does not seem to lack for anything and has good support, too. Another great saw is the old Powermatic 66 that comes up on the used market. It is built like a tank and puts the others to shame. The only downside is that it has no riving knife

Go look at the full line of John Deere tractors, they make about 30 models with 2-5 horse power separating them, but I guess when you are a world wide company it might make a difference

post #16 of 31 Old 12-19-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I like the SawStop saws, too. For me, the "bang for the buck" feature is the safety blade retraction mechanism, which really does go "bang!"

The truth is that SawStop is not really what the OP wants, because there is a significant cost factor for the safety mechanism, which is essentially an insurance policy.

Nonetheless, SawStop saws are good quality table saws, especially the Professional and Industrial models mentioned by @Mycrossover. Speaking only for myself, I would buy a SawStop in this case.

A couple years ago I had my first and last (I hope) kickback and if I hadn't had ins it would have been mare then a new Sawstop. But the stopping feature wouldn't have prevented it but a riving knife very likely would have

post #17 of 31 Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 AM

View Larry42's Photo Album My Photos
I have employees, so I got rid of my Unisaw and replaced it with the 5hp industrial model of SawStop. The SS is a much better saw than the Unisaw. Don't run a saw W/O a riving knife unless you don't value your hands! It only takes one time to more than pay for the SS safety AND you get to keep your fingers!
Catpower likes this.
post #18 of 31 Old 12-19-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Go look at the full line of John Deere tractors, they make about 30 models with 2-5 horse power separating them, but I guess when you are a world wide company it might make a difference
I was just talking about saws and other stationary power tools. If you open it up to everything I guess you can find all kinds of strange marketing. I am just an old stick in the mud and I like my tool options in a neat progressive order from economy to deluxe. Come to think of it photography is another messed up area with a confusing array of features in different priced models with some better features in cheaper models.

Catpower and CharleyL like this.
post #19 of 31 Old 12-19-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I was just talking about saws and other stationary power tools. If you open it up to everything I guess you can find all kinds of strange marketing. I am just an old stick in the mud and I like my tool options in a neat progressive order from economy to deluxe. Come to think of it photography is another messed up area with a confusing array of features in different priced models with some better features in cheaper models.

I agree I was just making an example. I too have wondered why Grizzly sells so many machines that are almost duplicates of others they sell

But I also recall what my brother said when he was selling cars for a big Chebbie dealer, he said some people would drive him nuts trying to decide between 2 or 3 units, and the reasons they would like one over another one just because of some stupid option, but liked the color or something else about the one without the option

Some customers can be very trying LOL

post #20 of 31 Old 12-20-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

found a 5 hp PM 66 on craigslist ...... is there a downside for a 5 hp compared to a 3 hp saw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode