1997 Unisaw (36-812) starts sporadically - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2020, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

View Kent Browne's Photo Album My Photos
Angry 1997 Unisaw (36-812) starts sporadically

Please forgive my first post being a question, but i JUST got this saw, and was looking forward to getting on to some forums with my favorite hobby.

I purchased a Unisaw, and today finally got the 240v run, and plugged it in, and it "bumped", or moved a few inches, and didnt start spinning. I hit stop, then start a few times, then it finally started. It has the "GPE" switch, without the big secondary box on the back of the unit. When it starts, it is quiet and powerful, this just keeps happening. Anyone have a similar experience and can suggest a remedy?

Thanks so much all, and i look forward to answering some questions as part of the community!

Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-10-2020, 06:10 AM

View Rick Christopherson's Photo Album My Photos
Need more information to be certain, but my first guess is that your contactor (the box with the push buttons) is dirty and possibly filled with sawdust. Remove the front cover and blow it out.

The second guess would be the start capacitor on the motor, but from the way you "didn't" describe this, I'm guessing it's not the problem. When you push the start button, do you hear the motor humming, as though it is trying to start? If you hear the hum, then it's the capacitor. Easy replacement. Additionally, if it is the capacitor, shut the motor off immediately when it doesn't start, because the amperage through the motor gets very high.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-10-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

New (to me) Unisaw , strange start issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
Need more information to be certain, but my first guess is that your contactor (the box with the push buttons) is dirty and possibly filled with sawdust. Remove the front cover and blow it out.

The second guess would be the start capacitor on the motor, but from the way you "didn't" describe this, I'm guessing it's not the problem. When you push the start button, do you hear the motor humming, as though it is trying to start? If you hear the hum, then it's the capacitor. Easy replacement. Additionally, if it is the capacitor, shut the motor off immediately when it doesn't start, because the amperage through the motor gets very high.
No , it doesnt hum, it just sort of "bumps", moves an inch or 2, and shuts off. Then sometimes it starts totally normally. This saw has been sitting for who knows how long, not powered up, at my Son in Laws place of work. He spotted it, knew i was looking for a table saw to replace my piece of crap, and asked if i wanted it. (I will keep him!). I did change the cable coming out of the starter (contactor?) being very careful to match locations exactly. I was looking on line, and saw that i can get a magnetic switch for like 30$, and am wondering if I should give that a shot and just replace the one on it now? Im an amateur, my Son in Law is a contractor, and he felt it would be fine as ill never be cutting stacks of plywood on it. This is for my home shop, and as i have always wanted one of these monsters, I want to get it right.

I only joined up yesterday, so I will do the "hello, this is my shop" posting when I get a chance, with some pics, as our power just came back on as well (im in ny).

Thanks so much in advance, let me know what you think about the switch, and ill try to figure out what capacitors I need, as they are a cheap replacement and I have been reading they do fail. (they just scare the crap out of me, as I got zapped by one when I was a kid, and it literally brought me to my knees).

Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-10-2020, 10:01 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
My guess is the contacts in the switch are dirty/burnt/corroded. They take the brunt of the start up load.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #5 of 7 Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 AM

View Rick Christopherson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Browne View Post
No , it doesnt hum, it just sort of "bumps", moves an inch or 2, and shuts off. Then sometimes it starts totally normally.
Yup, as I described above, you just have dirty contacts in your motor contactor.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2020, 12:29 PM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
You should also clean the contacts in the start/stop buttons.

Charley
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

i pulled the switch off of my jointer, and wired it in, and viola, it works perfectly. the huge and old delta one, is in the garbage. thanks for all of the answers guys!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode