Woodworking Talk banner

1947 Unisaw

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Pirate 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, have a question. I bought this saw about a month ago and was able to locate the serial number. I called Delta and verified that it is a 1947. The motor is a 3 phase unit but I do not know what Hp it is. The ID plate is missing. It looks like it was on the end of the bullet end of the motor. Only spot that has rivets. The tech at Delta says it would not have been there. I had the motor out and it was stamped 87M210. From what i am seeing it is probably 87-210. I am trying to verify the Hp, and would like to know if this motor was made to be enclosed in the cabinet. It had a cast egg cover at one time because there are sheet metal screw holes in the cabinet. I made a cover for it, but want to make sure im not damaging the motor by putting it inside. Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated

#2 ·
I wouldn't have thought it but the 87-210 motor is a 1.5 hp 220/440 three phase motor.

Unless you have a professional shop with three phase service you will need a phase converter to run the saw. Three phase is good to find as you can usually find some great old machines cheap however since the saw is 1.5hp I think I would look into trying to change the motor to a 3hp single phase motor. It would greatly increase the value of the saw if you ever choose to sell it. Put that motor and a biesemeyer fence on the saw and it should fetch twelve to fifteen hundred dollars especially if you freshened the paint too.

#3 ·
The 3 ph bullet motor should be 1.5 hp. If you put a 3+hp motor in, it will be a 3450 rpm motor and you will also need a new motor pulley.
I believe you will also have to cut the cabinet to make the motor fit.

I would keep the motor and get a ph converter. I know nothing about them, but read, that 1 kind decreases motor hp. If it reduces it 30% and you would have 1 hp.
If it's the same size horse that's inside my 1946 Unisaw, 1hp bullet motor, you will like it.
The bullet motors are real smooth motors.
Money wise, a converter would be a lot cheaper than a motor, and new pulley, and belts. Plus having to cut the cabinet.
Keep the bullet motor!
Check over at OWWM. Lots of bullet owners there with info.

#4 ·
Thank you for your responses. I have a inverter style vfd that I wired in my garage to handle the 3 phase. It is 220v single going in and converts it. So that frame stamp is 1.5 HP? I was searching online to figure it out and didn't come up with much. Very good to know. It has a 4ft biesemeyer t square setup on the saw already. I bought this machine from a local cabinet shop that went out of business. Building was sold twice and the last guy wanted it cleared out. He wanted $300, which I thought was a good deal, I offered $150 and took it home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.