12" foley belsaw planer molder - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
View dynamowhum's Photo Album My Photos
12" foley belsaw planer molder

Hey gang I have an opportunity to buy a 12" belsaw for $550. I have no need for another planer but I was thinking of getting it for the sanding capabilities and maybe for the moldings later on. Could I have some feedback on this please as this is probably going fast. Thanks
dynamowhum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 27,729
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I got one

It's pretty old 30 - 40 years, Got is used but NIB. Put a 3 HP Baldor motor on it and it works great. parts may be an issue, I donno. Mine is only used for planing. Never tried it for sanding or molding. so no help there, sorry. It planes great though down to 1/4" thin. Rubber feed rollers are good for gripping without leaving marks. They may need scuffing with sandpaper to remove any glazing over time. Price would be better at $500.00 depending on the motor. JMO bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #3 of 21 Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Ole Woodworker
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,770
View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I had one and it did good planing but molding was a pain, never tried sanding. If I had it to do over I would pass.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by BigJim; 07-27-2011 at 02:35 AM.
BigJim is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
View dynamowhum's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks fellas, just to let you know it is the 5 hp 12" planer molder, the #985 model. If anyone else could chime in I would appreciate it. Once again thanks for the help
dynamowhum is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 07-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Scotty D
 
mdntrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: IL.
Posts: 4,479
View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
I have the 5 HP model #985.

I use it daily to plane... She is a beast!

You can go here and download the 70 page manual... all in English!

http://www.belsaw.com/anyboard9/forum/index.html

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
mdntrdr is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 07-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Ole Woodworker
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,770
View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
My Belsaw was 5 HP model #985 also, there is no telling how many thousands upon thousands board feet that we planed with it. As a planer it just keeps on keeping on. It did OK for molding but I didn't like to set it up for that then switch back to planing.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
BigJim is online now  
post #7 of 21 Old 07-27-2011, 04:45 AM
Old School
 
cabinetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,027
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Parts for it should be available. Some are interchangeable with Woodmaster.








.
cabinetman is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
View dynamowhum's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks fellas. I thought I was the one with insomnia. I wish someone would come on board with the sanding capabilities. Have a great day.
dynamowhum is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 02-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1
View hewettman's Photo Album My Photos
belsaw planer 9103

I have a belsaw 9103 planer and i need the base plate. mine is broke are there any where that I can find one or have one made. any help would be greatly appreciated.
hewettman is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 02-09-2018, 08:03 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 27,729
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have one with a cast iron base

Without seeing what is "broken" on yours it's hard to tell if you need a replacement or if yours can be fixed. I'm not an expert welder, but I have brazed a few cast iron parts with great success. One was the arm on a horizontal met cutting bandsaw that holds the secondary wheel, a very vital part of the saw. It had to be properly aligned and clamped in place while the brazing was accomplished. I doubt if there are replacement parts available, but who knows. The company still exists if I remember correctly. Check with them.
http://www.belsaw.com/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #11 of 21 Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,182
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamowhum View Post
Hey gang I have an opportunity to buy a 12" belsaw for $550. I have no need for another planer but I was thinking of getting it for the sanding capabilities and maybe for the moldings later on. Could I have some feedback on this please as this is probably going fast. Thanks
I bought one in 2015 and have yet to use it. The one I have had gibs sized for planer knives and I bought a set of planer knives to grind into molding knives and it didn't work. One of the knives were too thin and shattered from the stress with the first cut. Between not being able to just buy gibs for it and lack of time the machine just sits. I bought some aluminum bar to make gibs but don't have the time to deal with it.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #12 of 21 Old 02-09-2018, 11:09 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 27,729
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
revived dead thread .........

Posted Today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewettman View Post
I have a belsaw 9103 planer and i need the base plate. mine is broke are there any where that I can find one or have one made. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted in 2011:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamowhum View Post
Hey gang I have an opportunity to buy a 12" belsaw for $550. I have no need for another planer but I was thinking of getting it for the sanding capabilities and maybe for the moldings later on. Could I have some feedback on this please as this is probably going fast. Thanks

Posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I bought one in 2015 and have yet to use it. The one I have had gibs sized for planer knives and I bought a set of planer knives to grind into molding knives and it didn't work. One of the knives were too thin and shattered from the stress with the first cut. Between not being able to just buy gibs for it and lack of time the machine just sits. I bought some aluminum bar to make gibs but don't have the time to deal with it.

If you want to answer the "broken base" issue, try again.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #13 of 21 Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1
View lm3024atw's Photo Album My Photos
Question Wiring Craftsman Foley Belsaw planer 985 5HP help?

I just bought a Foley Belsaw planer 985 5HP. It was hard-wired so the sell kept the cord. I see that the 5HP motor is a 220/230 v that needs a 30A circuit. Is this a single or a double pull breaker? what plug and receptacle should I use?
Thanks!
lm3024atw is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 03-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Tony B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dickinson, Tx.
Posts: 4,214
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Belsaw Planer back in the early 1980's. I dont remember the model number, it was the 5 HP version.
If I remember correctly, it didnt come with a plug.
At the time my shop was small and the only available 220 wiring I had was for my clothes dryer and possibly AC unit. Anyway, I just bought a clothes dryer plug and used it when I wasnt using the dryer. It was the quickest solution. Worked great

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.


"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Tony B is online now  
post #15 of 21 Old 09-27-2020, 11:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 4
View James-W's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I bought one in 2015 and have yet to use it. The one I have had gibs sized for planer knives and I bought a set of planer knives to grind into molding knives and it didn't work. One of the knives were too thin and shattered from the stress with the first cut. Between not being able to just buy gibs for it and lack of time the machine just sits. I bought some aluminum bar to make gibs but don't have the time to deal with it.
There is a place in Kansas City that can make any molding knives that you want. Here is a link to their web site.

http://wdrknives.com/

If you contact William "Bill" Ross he will be able to help you out. I just call him and he takes care of me whenever I need to make a certain type of molding. I am pretty sure they can make whatever gibs that you need.
James-W is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 09-27-2020, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,182
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-W View Post
There is a place in Kansas City that can make any molding knives that you want. Here is a link to their web site.

http://wdrknives.com/

If you contact William "Bill" Ross he will be able to help you out. I just call him and he takes care of me whenever I need to make a certain type of molding. I am pretty sure they can make whatever gibs that you need.
I still haven't gotten around to making gibs for that molder. The jointer knives I used were just too thin for molding knives. Even if I had someone else make knives I would still need smaller gibs to make it work. It's still not much of a priority to get that machine up and running though.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #17 of 21 Old 09-28-2020, 01:17 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 4
View James-W's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I still haven't gotten around to making gibs for that molder. The jointer knives I used were just too thin for molding knives. Even if I had someone else make knives I would still need smaller gibs to make it work. It's still not much of a priority to get that machine up and running though.
When you buy the molding knives from this place they always come with the gibs and the counter weights and everything you need to hold them in place. The actual molding knives they make are some very sharp heavy duty hunks of hardened steel and they work quite well. I have made a LOT of moldings using their molding knives and I have never had a problem. I highly recommend them. I live in S.E. Wisconsin so if you live anywhere near me and want to see how they work, you are more than welcome to stop by for a visit. I would be more than happy to show you how these molding knives work.
James-W is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 09-28-2020, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,182
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-W View Post
When you buy the molding knives from this place they always come with the gibs and the counter weights and everything you need to hold them in place. The actual molding knives they make are some very sharp heavy duty hunks of hardened steel and they work quite well. I have made a LOT of moldings using their molding knives and I have never had a problem. I highly recommend them. I live in S.E. Wisconsin so if you live anywhere near me and want to see how they work, you are more than welcome to stop by for a visit. I would be more than happy to show you how these molding knives work.
Thanks, I saved the link. I'm too far to come by, I'm in the Dallas TX area. I didn't know the blades come with the gibs. I searched for them years ago and couldn't find any and gave up. Having to fabricate the gibs is what has held me back in putting this machine to use.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #19 of 21 Old 09-29-2020, 01:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 4
View James-W's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Thanks, I saved the link. I'm too far to come by, I'm in the Dallas TX area. I didn't know the blades come with the gibs. I searched for them years ago and couldn't find any and gave up. Having to fabricate the gibs is what has held me back in putting this machine to use.
When you buy a molding knife set for a Foley-Belsaw planer/molder you only get one knife. The knife is made from some thick heavy duty hardened steel. Since each molding knife is different and has a different weight, they give you the proper aluminum gib to hold the molding knife in place. But you also need to have two other steel counter balance weights to go where the planer knives would normally go so that you don't get vibration. So they send along the steel counter weights with the gibs to hold them in place. Each molding knife set has everything that you need to make the molding.

When I first ordered a molding knife set and found out there was only one actual cutting knife, I was rather skeptical that it would work. But when I tried it and found out how well it actually worked, I was very well pleased. The cutter head spins extremely fast, several thousand RPM's, and the results is that the finished molding needs very little sanding, if it needs any sanding at all. It is hard to believe one knife could do such a good job, but it does.

In the last couple days I made 100 feet of 3 and 1/2 inch molding from red oak for a young woman who is remodeling a room in her house. I had to order the molding knife she wanted and I also ordered the back relief knife as well. Cutting a back relief is pretty important because many times the walls are not exactly flat and straight and having a back relief cut makes installing the trim a whole lot easier. I will see if I can stop by her house and take a picture of some of the trim so you can see for yourself just how nice of a job the Foley-Belsaw planer/molder can actually do when making moldings. Buying a molding knife is not real cheap, but it isn't all that expensive either. The 3 and 1/2 inch molding she wanted cost something like $75 plus shipping. The back relief knife was about $45 plus shipping. But once you have them, you can make all the moldings that you want and you can make it from any type of wood that you want.
James-W is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 09-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,182
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-W View Post
When you buy a molding knife set for a Foley-Belsaw planer/molder you only get one knife. The knife is made from some thick heavy duty hardened steel. Since each molding knife is different and has a different weight, they give you the proper aluminum gib to hold the molding knife in place. But you also need to have two other steel counter balance weights to go where the planer knives would normally go so that you don't get vibration. So they send along the steel counter weights with the gibs to hold them in place. Each molding knife set has everything that you need to make the molding.

When I first ordered a molding knife set and found out there was only one actual cutting knife, I was rather skeptical that it would work. But when I tried it and found out how well it actually worked, I was very well pleased. The cutter head spins extremely fast, several thousand RPM's, and the results is that the finished molding needs very little sanding, if it needs any sanding at all. It is hard to believe one knife could do such a good job, but it does.

In the last couple days I made 100 feet of 3 and 1/2 inch molding from red oak for a young woman who is remodeling a room in her house. I had to order the molding knife she wanted and I also ordered the back relief knife as well. Cutting a back relief is pretty important because many times the walls are not exactly flat and straight and having a back relief cut makes installing the trim a whole lot easier. I will see if I can stop by her house and take a picture of some of the trim so you can see for yourself just how nice of a job the Foley-Belsaw planer/molder can actually do when making moldings. Buying a molding knife is not real cheap, but it isn't all that expensive either. The 3 and 1/2 inch molding she wanted cost something like $75 plus shipping. The back relief knife was about $45 plus shipping. But once you have them, you can make all the moldings that you want and you can make it from any type of wood that you want.
I believe what you are saying however I think if you had two cutting knives it would make the molding noticeably smoother. If you had an real molder the cutterhead would have three or four cutters. The main reason for the back cut is when you machine one side of a piece of wood it tends to make it want to cup warp. By machining both sides you reduce the possibility of it cup warping.

The prices you list are certainly cheap enough. I charge hundreds of dollars to custom make a molding knife set for the shaper I have. The 3" tool steel bar I have is about 20 years old and then it was $23.10 per inch. Adds up really quick when making two knives. Takes about 2 1/2" of steel per knife minimum.

The project I made the knife set for on the Belsaw was for the drawer front on a stack bookcase. The bookcase I refinished had sat in water in a basement and I was going to make a new base for it. The profile was about 4 1/2" which is too much to make on a shaper in one cut. I would have had to make two sets of knives and I know running it it wouldn't perfectly match in the middle and have to do a bunch of sanding to make it right. You can still purchase the hardware for those cases so I thought it would be good to be able to reproduce them.
Steve Neul is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foley-belsaw 1055 sharp-all Woodmaster Power Tools & Machinery 5 02-06-2012 01:35 PM
Foley Belsaw Flavors Power Tools & Machinery 0 06-13-2011 09:10 PM
Foley Belsaw diamond wheels poppy Power Tools & Machinery 1 03-10-2010 07:10 PM
Foley Belsaw equipment jordan06 Power Tools & Machinery 6 03-01-2010 04:45 PM
foley belsaw 310-16 knifeguy Power Tools & Machinery 1 05-01-2009 07:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome