12" Compound Laser Miter saws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
12" Compound Laser Miter saws

I am looking into buying a saw and was wanting some opinions.I was looking at the DeWalt and the Ridgid.Most all of my tools are Ridgid and I've had good luck with them.What do you think?
Donny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
I've never tried the Ridgid but I have the 12" Dewalt and I really like it. It has massive power/Torque. Very accurate stays accurate, and easy to adjust. The length of cut isn't long like a slider but it holds the accuracy better (in my opionion). But like most miter saws, dust collection isn't great.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 PM

View Knot Home's Photo Album My Photos
I have to ditto Geoguy. I have the 12" Dewalt and really like it, except every once in a while the blade guard takes a hunk out of my thumb (if you grab the handle wrong and pull, the guard swings up like it's supposed to and catches your thumb). Several saws do the same thing though. He's right on about the adjustments and the thing staying put. It's a good saw for the money. The blade that comes with it could use more teeth, but it's adequate. No experience with Rigid, but several of their tools get great reviews in the magazines.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Donny, I am the complete opposite of the other guys. I no nothing about the dewalt because i own the ridgid 12" (i'm a ridgid man as well). it's true and square right out of the box and has held that way for a year and a half. the only thing that doesn't work that great is the laser. it's off by about 1/8 of an inch and i can't figure out how to adjust it. i don't think this is a problem with just the ridgid saw though b/c i have heard of other saws with the same laser (EXACTLINE™ LASER) having the same problem. The laser is more or less just a reference point for me now and i would hate to think i couldn't make an accurate cut without one. Either way you go, the ridgid and dewalt saws are a very good investment and you won't be disappointed with either. by the way, i would highly recommend the ridgid utility vehicle with whatever saw you choose. i have and it and has been the best miter stand i have ever seen and used. jeremy

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #5 of 11 Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 AM

View Davet's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Ridgid 12" slider 1290. ...Great Saw, powerful and accurate.

My laser is spot on if you line your pencil mark to the laser line with the blade in the all the way up position. ( as stated in the manual ).

I don't use the laser for close cuts anyway, I like the laser for rough cuts and the laser also lights up the area you are going to cut and makes it easier to see the blade when it cuts to the pencil line.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 AM

View mikebal's Photo Album My Photos
Note that the dw-716 will cut 6-1/2 in base molding held vertically against the fence. The Ridgid R4121 has a max of 6 in. The quick release bevel lock on the Ridgid can really save some strain if you need to make a series of alternating bevel cuts all day. Also, the movement and precision of the miter table and table lock in the Ridgid 4121 is the best I have seen in the modern age. If you need to make many miter cuts that differ by a few or a few tenths degrees, the miter lock on the Rigid is your best friend.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

Davet, I have tried the way the manual states but still it's off. Do you have any idea how you could adjust it?

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

post #8 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 AM

View Davet's Photo Album My Photos
If the laser is the type that bolts on the side of you blade there is no way to adjust it. As I previously stated I don't use the laser for close cuts anyway, I like the laser for rough cuts and the laser also lights up the area you are going to cut and makes it easier to see the blade when it cuts to the pencil line.

My laser being spot on is a rarity. From what I have read from reviews and from other forums is the blade bolt on lasers not being accurate is wide spread on just all the makes of saws.

If the laser is a real big deal for you, you can buy an after market bolt on adjustable laser that is adjustable.

http://laserkerf.com/Miter_Installation_guide.htm
there are other ones also, I just cant remember who they were at the moment.

Last edited by Davet; 03-08-2008 at 07:41 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 05:34 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
I've liked my 12" dewalt. I suspect that both are darn good saws. FH and FWW had some reviews last year on such animals, you might check them. But either one is darn good. My Dewalt got thrown off true by a bit of carelessness by a helper, but it was a cinch to true back up and it cuts wonderfully accurately again.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

Thanks Davet, Yeah the laser is just kinda there and used for the same purposes that you use it for. It is one that bolts onto the blade. I'm not really concerned if I can get an aftermarket one for my saw, I just thought, hey if it can be adjusted to work properly then why not adjust it and have that option. Anyway, have a great day and be safe.. Jeremy

post #11 of 11 Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 PM

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
I have found that the Rigid had the largest work table (unless the other brands have changed thiers in the last year. I think the lazer is usless on the Rigid although I will have to try it with the saw in the raise position and line it up. But then never needed the laser before so it is not that important . I know the rigid was less then the Dewalt also. It all comes down to personal preference. I like Rigid but when it came down to buying an bandsaw I went with the Ultimate bandsaw from Grizzley.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode