113.19771 Value - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

View kyle526's Photo Album My Photos
113.19771 Value

I picked up this RAS off of CL the other day for 200$. It has never been used much less unpackaged / uscrewed from the boards and box it originally came in. All the tools etc are still in the plastic bag and the manual is still crisp... Any idea of what kind of value this has? I have no intentions of selling it I'm just curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That saw is worth $200.00 to...

You. I have purchased them generally for $150.00 or so and those were a little older. If it's as new as you indicate that isn't a bad deal. A tool's worth is difficult to determine. If it as been sitting in someone garage for years and not used it's not worth much to them. If you need one today for a specific operation it's worth a lot more to you. I rarely part with a tool and end up with multiples of the same type for example RAS and jointers and table saws .....collector or addict? I buy them cheap and restore them as a hobby and then use them as another hobby/profession. bill
Here's a question about one: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/h...ial-saw-13077/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Pics...

Here it is... The box is stamped 25JAN80 and the manual is dated 11/79...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-03_18.01.23.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	25152  

Name:	2011-06-03_18.05.13.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	25154  

Name:	2011-06-03_18.10.29.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	25155  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
bill
It's just a hobby for me and it was def. worth every penny...
post #5 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 AM

View Woodlvr's Photo Album My Photos
That is a sweet looking saw. Nice find. I had one 10 yrs ago and now wish that I had never gotten rid of it.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That's a beauty!

I have two exactly like it. You will want to go to "Radial arm saw recall" online and register your model and serial number for a new parallel arm saw blade guard and a new table....FREE from Emerson. I have done this twice for saws I have. The new guard has an improved dust port also.
Here is the link: http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/
Also be aware of the safety aspects of using a RAS. They are unlike a table saw where the blade is coming up from under the workpiece and you "push" the work. Rather now the blade is above the workpiece and tends to lift it off the table and you "pull" the blade into the work when cross cutting.
Ripping on a RAS is also completely different and again the blade wnats to lift the workpiece off the table, so the nose of the guard should be rotated around the hub to place just slight pressure on the work if at all to prevent the piece from being lifted. I used one for years before I realized the physics at work here but with no bad results. Ripping is best done on a table saw if you have one and save the cross cutting for the RAS.
Great find and good luck with it! bill

In these videos Norm uses the RAS for making dados and rips on one also. He make quick work of notching the legs on a workbench. He's very confident with it and uses a wobble type dado blade with no "bad results" as I have also. His saw has the original guard also.
http://youtu.be/vZ4OFOReFJk
http://youtu.be/EHgf44FpZco

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-07-2011 at 04:26 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

@Woodlvr,
Thanks!

@woodnthings,
Thanks for the info and those links... I do have a Table Saw and I grew up only having access to a RAS so I understand the dangers and the benefits of both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode