1023 SL Grizzly - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 08-15-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
1023 SL Grizzly

I've pretty much, made my mind up, that this is what I'll be buying. Just curious, I know many of you have this cabinet saw. Approximately, how much time am I looking at to put this together. On a scale of 1-10 for being handy, I'm a 7-8.
Thanks
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Ed: welcome to the group!

I'm in the middle of assembling several Grizzly machines. My cabinet saw is the G0651 with right-side and outfeed tables. Longer rails...legs with adjustable feet...shelves below...you get the idea. In my product manual, it says the set-up time is 1.0 hr. I don't believe it. I'm much more meticulous and too much of a perfectionist to rush through this project in an hour.

It took nearly 40 minutes for my 16 y/o son and I to uncrate the thing and to unpack all the parts. I have about 2.5 in it now, and stopped for the night. I guess I have about 40 minutes of assembly and leveling left to go in the morning.

Your 1023SL shouldn't take as long, but I'd still guess you're looking at 2 solid hours unpacking, cleaning the cosmoline off the cast parts, and assembly.

Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out...
smitty
post #3 of 3 Old 08-16-2008, 12:17 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Ed - I setup my new Shop Fox W1677 a couple of weeks ago...it's essentially a white version of the 1023SL. Nothing too mind boggling about putting it together. Takes a few minutes to unpack it all, and unload the cabinet chamber that will be chocked full of accessories and other goodies. My wings took longer than I expected, and I've put together quite a few...YMMV. The switch is simple...mount it before putting on the rail, and you'll need to attach a 220v plug on the cord. The fence rails are pretty straight forward. The cosmoline is the hard waxy stuff that's tough to get off...I found that engine degreaser works as well as anything else I've tried. 2-3 hours labor....another hour of head scratching and admiring your new toy! Probably another hour or so tuning it up.

Something to consider...you can gain about 10" rip capacity to the right by sliding the front rail tube over by one bolt hole. Mount the angle bracket normally but slide just the rail tube over about 10", then just use one less bolt to attach the rail...it'll still be plenty strong and you'll have 36" to the right, but next to none to the left (not much of an issue with a left tilt saw) You'll need to locate the tape measure accordingly.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Last edited by knotscott; 08-16-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode