10” Craftsman Table Saw arbor shaft problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ajdragon
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

View stucky14's Photo Album My Photos
10” Craftsman Table Saw arbor shaft problem

As I was using my saw a vibration/rattling noise started up and seemed to get worse after just a few short cross cuts. I checked to see if the blade was lose, checked the motor, all pulleys, and belt. All seem to be good. I then went to take my blade off, (with my saw you have to secure the blade to loosen the nut) the arbor nut would not loosen and the arbor shaft would spin with very little effort. After securing the shaft I was able to take the nut off but now you can not apply any torque to the nut without the shaft spinning. What could be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
You mean that the arbor shaft spins while holding the blade from spinning? If this is what you are trying to describe, I think the arbor nut is bottoming out or binding on something before it tightens against the blade. Many older saws had special washers that were placed on the arbor and against the blade that the arbor nut tightened against. If the washer is missing, this could be your problem.

The exploded view of the parts list for your saw will show this washer, if one was included with your saw when it was new.

Charley
post #3 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I have the washer in place, this has never happened before in 19 years that I’ve had the saw. This first happened as I was trying to take the nut off. As I secured the blade using a block of wood to keep it from spinning and trying to back the nut off the blade stayed stationary while the nut and the arbor shaft spun as I turned my wrench. The nut was not backing off the threads at all. I then secured the shaft with a pair of channel locks and was able to back the nut off. Now as I try to put the nut back on the arbor shaft as soon as it reaches the compression washer it will stop advancing and the nut and shaft will spin while trying to tighten the nut down, very little torque is being used, one finger, and it will turn the shaft. The nut and shaft will turn whether I’m trying to tighten or loosen the nut. Hope that helps explain it better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Is this a belt drive saw?

If it's a belt drive, clamp or grasp the belt and now try to spin the blade. It may be that you have loosened the blade sufficiently that it will spin slightly, but without removing the nut. If you grasp the belt firmly, you should be able to further loosen the nut, but be certain about which direction it comes off .... CCW on my saws.

On my direct drive saws, the arbor has an inner nut for a second wrench to hold that from turning while you use another wrench to remove the blade nut.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is belt driven. Ultimately that’s how I got the nut off, I clamped down on the pulley and backed the nut off. But now when I put the nut back on it will again turn the shaft as soon as the nut hits the compression washer. I haven’t tried installing a different saw blade, I’ll try that this evening. Could it be the compression washer is bad, if not the current blade?
post #6 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Try putting the nut on with nothing else on the arbor and see what happens, it should go on all the way as long as there are threads. If it does now check blade and outer washer, something is holding the nut from tightening, only you can see what it is.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #7 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 01:59 PM

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Hi

Check this piece, it is possible that it spun on the shaft and got pushed over, or it may be loose altogether. Depending on what model you have this piece is either pressed on only or pressed on and held in place by a roll pin. Also check the threads on the shaft to make sure there not boogered up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4277.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	378675  

FrankC likes this.

Last edited by ajdragon; 09-11-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I’ll be trying a few things mention tonight when I get home. Thanks for all the insight. If all fails I’ll try posting pics and/or a link to a video.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM
where's my table saw?

There is a unthreaded portion .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucky14 View Post
Yes it is belt driven. Ultimately that’s how I got the nut off, I clamped down on the pulley and backed the nut off. But now when I put the nut back on it will again turn the shaft as soon as the nut hits the compression washer. I haven’t tried installing a different saw blade, I’ll try that this evening. Could it be the compression washer is bad, if not the current blade?

The reason for the unthreaded portion is to maintain concentricity when you install the blade. If you put the blade on the threaded portion, it won't be centered on the arbor. The outer washer adds some additional material to insure that the nut will thread on as tightly as possible before it runs out of threads. I suspect you have bottomed out the nut on the threads and it won't tighten the blade. You need a thicker outer washer, as they are typically about 1/4"
with ground surfaces and a recess. They are specific for table saw arbors. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-R4512-.../dp/B00J9HHHVK

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 04:40 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The reason for the unthreaded portion is to maintain concentricity when you install the blade. If you put the blade on the threaded portion, it won't be centered on the arbor. The outer washer adds some additional material to insure that the nut will thread on as tightly as possible before it runs out of threads. I suspect you have bottomed out the nut on the threads and it won't tighten the blade. You need a thicker outer washer, as they are typically about 1/4"
with ground surfaces and a recess. They are specific for table saw arbors. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-R4512-.../dp/B00J9HHHVK

It would seem like the nut has bottomed out on the end of the threads, my guess would be the inside flange has moved back.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #11 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I’ll take a look this evening. This is the only pic I have of it right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66346587-62D5-45A5-81DA-243C4BF945E8_1568238389868.jpg (294.3 KB, 14 views)
post #12 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Well it looks as though it was the saw blade. I installed 2 other blades with no problems. On the problem blade the paint on the blade where the compression washer makes contact has been worn off. Maybe this is the reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA7A68B7-AC3A-4843-8086-ADD031A2547B_1568243298619.jpg (288.3 KB, 9 views)
post #13 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 PM

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Hi

That compression washer looks like it should also get replaced. You should be able to put even thinner blades on there. If you look closely you will see a second outer ring, that is where the washer is supposed to start pressing on the blade, the edge of your washer look slightly flared up as if it was crushed. If you do replace the washer be sure to replace it with the kind Woodnthings linked to, it a better design.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4283.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	378697  

Last edited by ajdragon; 09-11-2019 at 07:46 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 PM
where's my table saw?

Don't use a compression washer ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucky14 View Post
Well it looks as though it was the saw blade. I installed 2 other blades with no problems. On the problem blade the paint on the blade where the compression washer makes contact has been worn off. Maybe this is the reason.

Use the 1/4" thick type with the recess and beveled edge like I posted.
That type will work with any blade you have, including one where the paint has been worn off!

ajdragon likes this.

post #15 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I currently use Freud Thin Kerf blades, don’t know if I can get any thinner.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

The washer you linked to doesn’t match the picture you provided. Here’s a picture of the washer in the link.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BA6E06A0-B6F3-4E5D-A7E5-2A9A1477860D_1568251667436.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	378699  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode