4Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By NoThankyou
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083

post #1 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
10" or 12" dado blade set?

Hi All

I love my 12" RAS but am stuck using an 8" dado set on it because I can't find anything larger.

Has anyone ever seen a 10" or even a 12" dado set for sale?

JayArr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that's fantastic. I don't know why my google searches never came up with that but I'll certainly put it on my list (maybe Santa will bring me a new dado set :-) )

I'm stoked that it has a -12 degree hook as well so I can use it to run grooves in dimensional lumber in the rip configuration.

This forum seems to have all the answers I'm searching for - Thanks!

Last edited by JayArr; 11-30-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 01:38 PM

View JoeFromSD's Photo Album My Photos
I'm curious why you'd need a 10 or 12" dado for Jay?
post #5 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 03:03 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
was gonna ask the same... mine is 6"
post #6 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

If you put a 8" dado on a Craftsman 12" RAS the size of the motor casing limits the depth to about 1 1/2".

When building outdoor-stuff, framing, fences, sheds etc I have wanted to lap 4x4s or garden ties with lag bolts in forstner holes but I can't get the depth without resorting to the chisel. With a larger blade I could go half way into a 4 1/8" x 4 1/8" and extend the length or lap then around corners.

JayArr
post #7 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 03:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Doa mock up first ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArr View Post
Hi All

I love my 12" RAS but am stuck using an 8" dado set on it because I can't find anything larger.

Has anyone ever seen a 10" or even a 12" dado set for sale?

JayArr
Quote:
If you put a 8" dado on a Craftsman 12" RAS the size of the motor casing limits the depth to about 1 1/2".

When building outdoor-stuff, framing, fences, sheds etc I have wanted to lap 4x4s or garden ties with lag bolts in forstner holes but I can't get the depth without resorting to the chisel. With a larger blade I could go half way into a 4 1/8" x 4 1/8" and extend the length or lap then around corners.

JayArr

Take two 10" saw blades and space them apart on the arbor to check clearances first before laying down $200.00 for a dado set.

You don't want to run a dado set without a blade cover, too many spinning cutters, to close to you.

Making multiple cuts 1/4" apart or so and knocking out the waste would be better:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

To be clear, I already have an 8" dado set and the arbour holds the 8" dado so there must be room, depth wise for the 10" or 12". I'll check the guard to see if there is any restriction at the outer radius', thanks, I hadn't thought of clearance out there.

I can run the single blade multiple times and knock it out and clean up with a chisel but on a big project the thought of all that extra work makes me change the design and I usually have just butt the two pieces together and use long screws to hold them together. Ex: When I'm building a platform in front of my garbage can shed with landscaping ties I'm not willing to get into a bunch of extra work with a chisel, especially if there are four or six joints to make, it would have looked nicer but I just don't want to spend that extra time and a garbage shed doesn't warrant that much extra attention. Once I get the bigger dado and can cut half of the material away with the saw I think I might be more inclined to use the lap joints. It's not for cabinet making or anything fine, I just envision it as handy when working outside with large dimension lumber.

I think I can up my game a little with this tool.

JayArr
post #9 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 05:19 PM
where's my table saw?

The other issues are ....

It will take 2 -3 days for the blade to stop because of the added inertia from the larger dado set.

It may only accept 3 or 4 cutters inside the blade cover. You must check this out first using 2 ten inch blades as I suggested above. I have never seen nor hear of a dado set used in a Craftsman RAS larger than 8". I own four 12" Craftsman RAS myself.
From the Craftsman catalog:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/585.pdf

The saw may be underpowered at 2 HP...?

If you really want to save time removing waste from a dado on a 4 X 4, use a sabre saw. Make two vertical cuts and remove the waste from between them. I am NOT in favor of your using a dado larger than 8". Do so at your own risk.

My 12" Powermatic table saw has a 10" Forrest Dado King that I've never used. The price today is $387.00 plus taxes and shipping. That may scare you more than the actual use of it .... I donno?
https://www.forrestblades.com/dado-king/

If you want a saw that will handle a larger dado set, take out a home equity loan:
https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool...saAucHEALw_wcB
NoThankyou likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-30-2019 at 06:59 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 06:39 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

JayArr
Maybe it has already been suggested, anyway, make a bunch of cuts the required depth about 1/4" apart with your regular blade, knock them off with your hammer and trim with your chisel, even works with a circular saw.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #11 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I never thought of the underpowered thing, right now the RAS hogs out 3/4" wide by 1.5" deep in a single pass without any complaint with the 8" dado set, I guess I assumed it would do the same with the larger blade as well. I may have to do some math on that to find out the increase in torque required going from 8" to 12", maybe my 2.25HP motor is too small

What would that 12" freud set be for if not a RAS? It's got a negative hook so isn't that wrong for a table saw?

Oh, and if your blade is running on and on replace the clutch material in the electric brake on the side of the motor opposite the blade. Craftsman part# 63137. Mine used to take forever but now stops pretty quickly.

Maybe I should put four or five blades on the RAS at once and see if it complains
post #12 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 07:03 PM
where's my table saw?

The saw brake works OK. it's ....

The inertia from adding another blade and 4 or 6 chippers that causes a dado set to keep spinning .... especially a 10" blade and the appropriate cutters. My Freud 8" set in my 12" Craftsman table saw keeps on spinning down long after it's shut off.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Inertia, right, how did I miss that, Duh!

I checked the guard and there is enough room for a 12" set in it, I think the next test might be to put all of my blades on, I think I have 5, and use the separators from my 8" set and give it a spin and see if it'll cut a 2" deep trough through a 4x4. That should be close to the same weight as a dado set with chippers. If it boggs down and won't cut then there is no good reason to buy the 12" dado set.

What do you think?

JayArr
post #14 of 19 Old 11-30-2019, 10:20 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
any blade other than a single saw blade in the ras scares the bejebers out of me
not sure my ras would even take anything other than a single blade
post #15 of 19 Old 12-01-2019, 02:12 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Woodnthings and I go round and round about the RAS. He has 4 and I got rid of mine while calling it 'An Evil Machine'. I believe Woodnthings has as I do all ten. On my '70s era Craftsman 10" RAS I use both a 6" wobbler dado and a single knife molding cutter. Both were terrifying to use.

I understand your needs for the dado. Please be careful because we don't want you to come back saying, "I'm now a 7Ĺ."
woodnthings and Tool Agnostic like this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #16 of 19 Old 12-01-2019, 12:42 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
I am thinking that several saw blade (as a test) may still overwhelm your saw due to sooo many teeth. Guess you will find out.
woodnthings likes this.

Gary
post #17 of 19 Old 12-01-2019, 03:39 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Back in the days when I used a radial arm saw to make dados, I was too young and dumb to be scared. Knowing what I know now, I should have been a lot more scared.

I am truly fortunate to have survived:

* The toys that I played with that have since been recalled.
* The dangerous chemicals and heavy metals I have handled.
* The power tools I have used inappropriately or incorrectly.
* The sawdust I breathed.
* The dangerous places I put myself in; only a slip, accident, or incident away. Natural disasters, too.
* Many years of marriage.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-01-2019, 09:52 PM
where's my table saw?

Dados with a RAS .....

Some guys use a RAS exclusively for dados on shelves. I just use a different carriage set up with a dado head which replaces the 60 tooth crosscut saw on my 12" Craftsman. The carriages on the 10" and 12" saws are interchangeable, as I found out. Remove the stop bolt on the end and slid in a different carriage. No need to fuss with changing out the blades AND the saws are so cheap on Craig's List you can afford more than one. There aren't any safety issues that I'm aware of when making dados, other than keep your hands and fingers out of the blade path:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/...ing-ras-47095/

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-01-2019 at 09:54 PM.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-06-2019, 01:50 PM

View Scurvy's Photo Album My Photos
A larger set does impart more inertia (defined as a resistance to changes in motion), which is slower to spin up OR down. I have a 12” Dado King set I use on my 14” Delta 40 RAS, which is only about 2hp due to the sad fact that I only have a magnetic phase converter attached to it.

The saw didn’t even flinch when hogging out 1-1/8”W x 2”D dados (similar fence project). i believe that has a lot to do with the fact that once that massive set got up and spinning, the motor didn’t have to spend much energy keeping it in motion, due to its very high inertia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode