Wood chisels - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 04-06-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Wood chisels

So for a long time I've recommended the craftsman wood chisels. They've been made in the USA, had a darn good edge from the factory, sharpened nicely and held an edge well. On top of that they had a great handle. Well today I swung by sears on my lunch, and while walking down the aisle notice that the chisels have a different color handle. Upon closer inspection they are no longer made in the USA, the grind looks pretty terrible, and the handles aren't nearly as nice as the old ones.

Needless to say it doesn't surprise me, but it's disappointing anyhow. You've seen the last craftsman chisel recommendation from me.

Old...black handled.
Wood chisels-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1428343004.287435.jpg

New...black/red handle.
Wood chisels-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1428343033.269037.jpg

The tools don't make the craftsman....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-06-2015, 02:50 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Sadly - it is still true, you get what you paid for, and IMO most of crapsman tools coming from the orient always seem to have issues! Best to save and buy items of worth, like Sorby bench chisels. Be safe.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-06-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Wood chisels

The old ones were a good example of a great value. They were great quality and inexpensive.

And I'm not of the opinion that Craftsman (fixed that for you) tools from the orient are all junk. My 22116 table saw is phenomenal, the current model routers are among the top of their class....and the band saws are regularly reviewed very strong. I've always said, regardless of where you buy your tools, ignore the name and look at the tools for what they are, not the name on them.

Last edited by ryan50hrl; 04-06-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-06-2015, 03:16 PM

Absolutely agree with your last statement, but still believe "you get what you paid for" - and fits your budget! Be safe.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Sadly - it is still true, you get what you paid for, and IMO most of crapsman tools coming from the orient always seem to have issues! Best to save and buy items of worth, like Sorby bench chisels. Be safe.
Didnt we all agree to stop saying 'crapsman' a few threads back? Honestly, I wonder if all the people spouting that line off have ever used the routers, handsaws, mechanics tools, saws, hand tools or really any other tool. Especially in this case, its a chisel. Sure, you may have to spend an extra 5 minutes cleaning up the grind, but get it sharpened and I refuse to believe that theres anything a set of sorbys can do that these couldn't, other than empty your wallet

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 19 Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 PM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
In the last few years, since their hand tools have been offshored, I've stopped buying almost everything Craftsman related. It's not because everything made in China is crap, and buy 'Murican, union pride, blah blah blah. I noticed a marked decline in quality when they moved production overseas. Luckily I bought my hand tools when they were still made here, and there's enough on the second hand market to keep me going if one should break.

I hate signatures.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM

View Paul_R's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Didnt we all agree to stop saying 'crapsman' a few threads back? Honestly, I wonder if all the people spouting that line off have ever used the routers, handsaws, mechanics tools, saws, hand tools or really any other tool. Especially in this case, its a chisel. Sure, you may have to spend an extra 5 minutes cleaning up the grind, but get it sharpened and I refuse to believe that theres anything a set of sorbys can do that these couldn't, other than empty your wallet
You can't get a satisfying gloat showing off craftsman tools jeez!

And more honesty - as fussy as I am about sharpening, even Lie Nielsen and Veritas tools have to be worked when new in the box before I'm happy!

Not to say I'm going to run out and but a bunch of Craftsman tools though...
post #8 of 19 Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Lol....there's a reason to spend way more on a tool....so you can show it off.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 AM

It is NOT that you need to spend more ($) to "show off your tools", good quality usually makes the job easier and lasts longer without issues!
post #10 of 19 Old 04-07-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Agreed...but basing "quality" off a brand name is a fools game. Great brands put out garbage products from time to time, and cheap product companies put out gems every now and then.

post #11 of 19 Old 04-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
It is NOT that you need to spend more ($) to "show off your tools", good quality usually makes the job easier and lasts longer without issues!
Really now? Ive got a set of cheap Irwin chisels I picked up for 20 bucks that take an edge so fine I don't even have to touch the wood to cut it. Ive got a craftsman combination blade that will make burnished cuts in end grain and has been for nearly a year of good use now. Ive got a $30 skil random orbit sander that will leave a piece of wood smooth as a freshly waxed buttock. Up until a half hour ago, I had a craftsman contractor saw that did everything I asked it to. Ive got a craftsman block plane, complete with the iron that came with it, that will slice through the end grain of hard maple without a problem and holds an edge for eternity.

Only a poor craftsman blames the tools for the results. Saying you HAVE to spend $200 dollars on a sorby chisel and $1400 on a powermatic table saw and $500 on a festol router and so forth to get good results is just wrong. Far, far more important that dropping a fortune in tools is knowing how to get good results from any tool, no matter the brand.

Fun fact though, I just started watching the new Yankee workshop, some of the older episodes. Know what kind of chisel Norm is using in the very first episode to make that medicine cabinet? Not a sorby. A dewalt construction grade chisel, the kind with the cheap acrylic handle you can grab off the shelf at home depot for $5

I need cheaper hobby
post #12 of 19 Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48
Really now? Ive got a set of cheap Irwin chisels I picked up for 20 bucks that take an edge so fine I don't even have to touch the wood to cut it. Ive got a craftsman combination blade that will make burnished cuts in end grain and has been for nearly a year of good use now. Ive got a $30 skil random orbit sander that will leave a piece of wood smooth as a freshly waxed buttock. Up until a half hour ago, I had a craftsman contractor saw that did everything I asked it to. Ive got a craftsman block plane, complete with the iron that came with it, that will slice through the end grain of hard maple without a problem and holds an edge for eternity. Only a poor craftsman blames the tools for the results. Saying you HAVE to spend $200 dollars on a sorby chisel and $1400 on a powermatic table saw and $500 on a festol router and so forth to get good results is just wrong. Far, far more important that dropping a fortune in tools is knowing how to get good results from any tool, no matter the brand. Fun fact though, I just started watching the new Yankee workshop, some of the older episodes. Know what kind of chisel Norm is using in the very first episode to make that medicine cabinet? Not a sorby. A dewalt construction grade chisel, the kind with the cheap acrylic handle you can grab off the shelf at home depot for $5
Hey what Festool router for $500.00? I think their bits are more than that.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-08-2015, 03:49 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Hey what Festool router for $500.00? I think their bits are more than that.
I was ball parking. Every time I look at their website I get sad

I need cheaper hobby
post #14 of 19 Old 04-08-2015, 12:30 PM

View Woodenhorse's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Really now? Ive got a set of cheap Irwin chisels I picked up for 20 bucks that take an edge so fine I don't even have to touch the wood to cut it. Ive got a craftsman combination blade that will make burnished cuts in end grain and has been for nearly a year of good use now. Ive got a $30 skil random orbit sander that will leave a piece of wood smooth as a freshly waxed buttock. Up until a half hour ago, I had a craftsman contractor saw that did everything I asked it to. Ive got a craftsman block plane, complete with the iron that came with it, that will slice through the end grain of hard maple without a problem and holds an edge for eternity.

Only a poor craftsman blames the tools for the results. Saying you HAVE to spend $200 dollars on a sorby chisel and $1400 on a powermatic table saw and $500 on a festol router and so forth to get good results is just wrong. Far, far more important that dropping a fortune in tools is knowing how to get good results from any tool, no matter the brand.

Fun fact though, I just started watching the new Yankee workshop, some of the older episodes. Know what kind of chisel Norm is using in the very first episode to make that medicine cabinet? Not a sorby. A dewalt construction grade chisel, the kind with the cheap acrylic handle you can grab off the shelf at home depot for $5

High price does not always equate to higher quality. You not only get what you pay for, you also get what you work for. Learn to use what you have, within its limits, and you can do good work regardless.

Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-08-2015, 06:27 PM

View smithbrother's Photo Album My Photos
I have friends that tell their wives, HONEY, IT COST THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN TOOLS TO MAKE THINGS, sure, good try my friend, really it's just being LAZY on their part.

I was doing a outside project, and got early morning starts, well one Saturday the neighbor across the street came over, said, " DALE, COULD YOU WORK OUT IN BACK EARLY IN THE MORNING, MY WIFE WOKE ME UP, AND SAID, HEY, DALE IS ALREADY OUT WORKING.

True story, he and I still laugh at that.

I have done tons of cool pieces with cheap tools, and so have many of YOU......

Dale in Indy
post #16 of 19 Old 04-09-2015, 12:35 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Totally agree with you. Life is too short for crappy tools. It is far more enjoyable to work with tools that are high quality.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Can we all agree that cost and quality are not always a direct correlation.

post #18 of 19 Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Absolutely.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-14-2015, 09:14 PM

View jacko9's Photo Album My Photos
recent chisel purchases

I have recently purchased some chisels from Lee Valley and Japan Woodworker some were not appropriate for hardwood furniture work like the Narex that have steel hardened to RcH 58-59. At that hardness level the edges curled back into a wire edge chopping white oak. I returned them (great return polity at Lee Valley) and got some Veritas with PM-V11 steel and those chisels are great.

I also purchased a few "Blue Steel" Japanese chisels from Japan Woodworker and they too came sharp right out of the box (like the Veritas) and have kept their edge with a lot of very hard wood chopping.

Yes sometimes you do get what you pay for if you shop carefully.

Jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode